corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » PC powering??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PC powering??
Gaz

User status: Offline
10th Jul 06 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how do you power the PC in-car?

and also how would you power the speakers off the PC or would you Amp them as usual and just run the speaker cables from the output of the Screen?

I know Mart V run a PC in his corsa, but he's never online any more to ask
mobymaster

10th Jul 06 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a 12v power supply for it. Be alot better rather than messing around with inverters, i had big problems with my xbox and inverters with interfearance. Now got a mini PS2 direct on 12v and its perfect.

As for sound, just wire your audio out from the PC to the AUX in on yoru headunit or jus wire direct to the amp.
50Calibre

11th Jul 06 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12v dc power would be the best as said however they are around 100 quid and need to be matched to the computer you wish to run..

alternativly you could use relays and switches to power an invertor so it will automatically switch on and off with the ignition...

both of these will mean the pc needs to boot from scratch tho.. other options would be to use a pc backup battery in the boot which would allow pc the to hibernate wen not being used and stay on whilst your getting petrol etc

or if you dont have a pc already.. use a laptop instead.. get a docking station rigged up with an incar charger then look on the internet for power sensing programs that can hibernate after a certain time of power off.. then if you need to use the laptop u can easily remove it from the dock.. good for security as well
John

12th Jul 06 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The pc turns off totally when hibernating.
You only need power for standby.
Using hibernate you woudln't have to boot from scratch.
ed

16th Jul 06 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't run a PC off of and invertor. Not powerful enough. You can run a laptop though which is worth a thought.
M2RTY

24th Jul 06 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i ran my pc off an invertor but it was only a 75watt pc and a 300watt invertor

then i got a power supply that automatically turned the PC on when you started the car then off 20 minutes after the keys were removed
Brayshaw !

24th Jul 06 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does the pc not av a switch on the back? i.e...12v...240v ? dnt no out bout pcs in cars but all pcs ive had av had this on ??
Rob Withey

24th Jul 06 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never seen a PC power supply with a 12v/240v switch. 120v/240v is more common.
It is perfectly possibly to run a PC from an inverter. It's not elegant, but it works.
RKS

24th Jul 06 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
The pc turns off totally when hibernating.
You only need power for standby.
Using hibernate you woudln't have to boot from scratch.

if you have a decent spec machine hibernate will not be much quicker to load as a standard boot,

i looked into doing this, have a 12v 90w 20pin ATX PSU ready and waiting and a pc pretty much built but have since decided against it because realistically i'd never use it and it would be for show only, as its not really worth the boot time and extra power load on the altenator for mp3's may as well just use cd's in the cd player!

I have tried a couple of alternatives, one being connecting my phone up to the aux in, (k750i with 512mb mem card) which i did twice and decided its a pain when you want to change songs, i also hooked up my psp to the aux in and this was the same as the k750 however changing songs was better it still wasnt as easy as it is on the HU when playing a cd,

but anyway, if you wanna put a pc in a car get a proper 12v power supply, linitx are one of the places that supply them, and most of them will have the function to turn the pc on/off with the ignition
M2RTY

30th Jul 06 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for just music i recomend a large HD Ipod and ipod compat headunit

less hassel, more use and you can use it at the gym etc too

New Poll