corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » MOT time, what to look out for? *updated*

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MOT time, what to look out for? *updated*
J100RSA

User status: Offline
13th Jul 06 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has your exhaust got a leak on it? what year it the car? if its a single wire lambda id just fit a new they only about £15
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th Jul 06 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, ive never asked for a print out actually at any mot i been to
are they meant to give one??

im sure the exhaust is fine, i fitted it myself, but leaking exhaust is a MOT fail is it not??

its a 3 wire lambda, from vaux its £104!!!!
their is some confusion with the lambda for my car now from vaux, apparently they only do the 1 wire sensor now and say it replaces the 3 wire sensor, would it still work???

anyway im not 100% about the readings, but say they were all high when he revved it what does it mean??
AK

13th Jul 06 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've always been given an emmisions readout for MOT failures and some passes actually?!
J100RSA

13th Jul 06 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just get a 3 wire sensor from motor factors check the exhaust for leaks i may not be blowing just leaking this can be enough to throw the lambda out also what type of exhaust is it it a twin pipe?? if so try blocking off the other tail pipe when been tested
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th Jul 06 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes mate, come to think of it my exhaust could have somthing to do with it...

its a scorpion Cat back 2.5inch bore group A stainless steel exhaust system..
basically since ive lowered it, the middle silencer has been getting knocked/scraped over bumps etc... however the middle silencer is already damaged, as its always ratling for the past 2 years!! the rear box is a twin dtm style exit

i replaced the CAT last year aswell with a non-gm one, and same with lambda sensor

their is a massive motor factors shop near my area too, i might pop in their, sure they will have lambda sensor for my car
what you reckon i should do???

[Edited on 13-07-2006 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
J100RSA

13th Jul 06 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id block off one of your tail pipes when they testing the emissions also if they cheap enough throw a new lambda on it
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th Jul 06 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i will most probably try a new lambda, and at whorst a new CAT, because the readings were very similar to last years MOT emmisions and it passed when i put those 2 new parts on
so im hoping its the same procedure this year???

the thing with the exhaust tail pipe is, that its actually one pipe that comes out of the backbox and then that splits into two (DTM style) so dont know if that will effect it really???
J100RSA

13th Jul 06 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes it dose because 1 tail seems to draw air in i have problems with corsa's with twin pipe exhusts
MoNkEy MaGiC

14th Jul 06 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really???
how can i block of one of the tailpipes??
the readings were quite badly out, you think the exhaust alone could have caused this? last year it passed fine after the new CAT and lambda sensor!

also i can only get hold of a ONE wire sensor for my car now, the current one has THREE wires???? will this ONE wire sensor still work fine??

[Edited on 14-07-2006 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
JoeyB

15th Jul 06 at 06:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dunno if its been mentioned but I once had trouble getting a Honda Prelude through the emissions test, I had four 4.5inch tailpipes...they said the results were too lean.

I got two other mechanics to plug 3 of the pipes with cloth whilst the MOT tester did the test....it got through then!!!

[Edited on 15-07-2006 by NotMyCorsa]
MoNkEy MaGiC

15th Jul 06 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok im going to try cheapest option first, to block of one of the tailpipes,thats if the mot tester will allow it! and then try a new lambda sensor!!

but im having trouble finding the 3 wire sensor i need!!
even from vauxhall they said the new 1 wire sensor replaces the old 3 wire sensor!???

can anyone confirm this and that if this 1 wire sensor will work fine??

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll