corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Quick advice on price for a part to be fixed for MOT.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Quick advice on price for a part to be fixed for MOT.
Makarus

User status: Offline
1st Apr 03 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got my car MOT'd today whilst it was in getting some accident damage fixed.

It failed on 2 points,
1) Emissions - this was expected as at the moment it has no exhaust, waiting for delivery of the new one for accident repair.
2) Handbrake cable - now this wasnt expected as I havent noticed any problems with the hand brake, I was told that the cable has frayed (sp?) and needs replacing.

Now I aint too happy, Vauxhall want £80 to fit new handbrake cable and clean the brakes and shite like that. Now I think thats a big price but could be wrong. Could someone tell me if £80 is the price to expect to get the handbrake cable fixed.

Also one other question, because the car has been in for accident repair for a while now it has run out of MOT, thats why I got it tested whilst its in with Vauxhall so that when the accident damage is fixed I can legally drive the car. The thing is if Vauxhall are ripping me off and I can find somewhere cheaper will I be legally allowed to drive it to a garage to get it fixed and then take it back to Vauxhall for the re-test??

Cheers,
Sean.
Drew
Banned

1st Apr 03 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do it yaself

i get both cabled for 8 quid and did mine myself

if ya can take ya drums off - fitting teh handbrake cable is piss easy
Stuckey

1st Apr 03 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in case you didn't know vauxhall garages are rip offs that steal your cash and dont do a good job
antonOO2

1st Apr 03 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just steer clear of the monkeys at vauxhall altogether to be honest mate
GT4Brody

1st Apr 03 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup any dealings i have had with vauxhall in the past have mostly been crap or expensive at least!
If you were to take the car to another garage i am sure you could get the handbrake cable fitted for at least half that!!
Makarus

2nd Apr 03 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Thing is the car has a full Vauxhall history so I would like to keep mit so its a bit easier to sell on ion the future.

I will have a little ring around to find somewhere else that could do the job. I have never took the drums off my car, I may be able to cope but I will leave it to people who know what they are doing.

The other thing though, what about me driving my car without the MOT from Vauxhall to the garage to get the work done, I dont think I will be allowed to drive it there meaning Vauxhall kinda have me by the short and curly's.
Makarus

2nd Apr 03 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone please??

Kinda working on a short amount of time here and could do with your help.

How hard would you rate the job, do you think I could do it myself, I fit my own alloys, induction kit, stereo, sub & amp.

Also how much is the part on its own, and where else could I get it from than Vauxhall, I am struggling to find anywhere that can do the work.
Makarus

2nd Apr 03 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pissed off even more.

If I take the car to get the handbrake cable fixed somewhere else then I will end up having to pay half of the re-test fee, surely that aint right.

The thing that gets me the most is that the car failed its MOT on the exhaust which is fair enough, I knew and the MOT guys knew it would fail, its just that surely I should get a free retest for that, never mind if I take the car elsewhere for the handbrake cable to be fixed.

I cant move the car because it has no exhuast at the moment, looks like I am gonna have to pay out a fair bit to get it fixed.

BOLLOX!!!
3CorsaMeal

2nd Apr 03 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine failed emissions, i got the print out and just had : failed, next to all of em,.............still got a certificate to pass it tho
Why get an MOT if u got no zaust
Andy Stocker

2nd Apr 03 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember sending C13 into Vauhall for a big pre MOT service. Got the car back they said they'd done this & that & I paid.
Wondered off to get an MOT thinking i'll sail through this as those wonderful competant vauhall mechanics have given my car a good going over.
Fails on handbrake cable
Went back to Vauxhall, caused a barney, got it repaired for free
Andy

2nd Apr 03 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Removing the exhaust will only affect emissions if the front section containing the cat has also been removed. If the cat's still there and it's just the main section of the exhaust that's off, there's a problem with the engine/ECU.
Makarus

2nd Apr 03 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I spoke to them, the car is in getting accident damage repair. I thought whilst I am without the car may as well get it serviced and MOT'd. I assumed they wouldnt test the car if it didnt have an exhaust on it, gonna go down in a bit and kick up a fuss. Surely they should have serviced the car first because I asked them to, and surely hand brake cable would be picjed up and fixed on a service. So they I shouldnt have really failed the MOT meaning I shouldnt have to pay for a retest.
Rob H

2nd Apr 03 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always thought that if you failed an MOT, the re-test was free, and that was by law?

The rules governing MOTs are that you cant drive the car on the road unless your drivning it too a pre booked MOT test.... but then if its already failed then you'll need to drive it to a garage?

I'd just tell em your taking it home to get the handbrake fixed by a mate, and then either do it yourself, or book it in somewhere to get the work done. Then just drop the car back off with Vauxhall for the MOT
Makarus

2nd Apr 03 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing is I booked the MOT at the same time as the service.

Surely they should have serviced it first and found the problem with the handbrake, and then told me about the problem before it is MOT'd. If they had done it like that it never would have gone into the MOT, never would have failed, and I would just have less worry and would sort the brake cable.

The fact they even tested it knowing it wouldnt pass because there is no exhuast astounds me, I was expecting them to wait until the exhuast turned up and then MOT it, in the mean time they could service it and actually get the exhuast.
Adam-D

2nd Apr 03 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its so they can charge more
Makarus

2nd Apr 03 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but surely thats just bad practise to do it that way round, I am not happy with them doing it that way round at all. They have made it obvious they want more money out of me.

I am going in to see the manager tomorrow, I have put £1000 worth of business their way and they least they can do is treat me properly, if they dont treat me well tomorrow face to face then i will be calling my insurance company, telling them I am not happy with the work and taking the car else where, vauxhall will not be paid and I will have my car back.

They are waiting for a part to be delivered from derby which is about 15 mins drive away, but instead of going to get it from derby themselves they are waiting for the incompetant delivery monkeys to sort it.

Think I will end up having a go at the delivery company and demanding it get sorted quickly.

Insurance company aint gonna be happy with them because they have to pay for my hire car whilst I have it.
Adam_B

2nd Apr 03 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vaux garage near me said they do a free re test within 7 days, and i could take the car away, then bring it back. Though that was the law?
Makarus

2nd Apr 03 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I thought it was something similar to that.
sdlcrosby

2nd Apr 03 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If u have no MOT and u have ur car booked in for an MOT then u are allowed to drive as long as there aint no major things rong wiv it. . . but u must have it booked in for the MOT and have documentation to prove it is booked in. . . also if it fails the MOT i dont think u can take it home with u because u have no MOT! but u cud take it too another garage to get repaired. . . i believe this is rite. . . If MOT's for cars work the same as trucks then this is all true.......i hope this helped. . .
Makarus

2nd Apr 03 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah maybe, its just the fact now that they should have serviced it first and picked up the fault instead of it ever failing the MOT.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Quick advice on price for a part to be fixed for MOT. 23 database queries in 0.0135369 seconds