corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » MOT time, what to look out for? *updated*

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MOT time, what to look out for? *updated*
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
   3rd Jul 06 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok my gsi MOT is booked in for thursday...
last year it failed badly on emmisions!!! so i had a new cat and lambda/o2 sensor put in and it passed easily!

however the parts were not original vauxhall GM and mot man last time said they may not last, so car could fail next year!! ??????????

anything in particular should make sure i check on gsi's before going, had her running on optimax recently and il take for good thrash before the test aswell if that will help

things im concerend about but should not effect the MOT??-
brakes look and work fine, however i think they are warped as at high speed while braking medium to hard pressure the steering wheel judders!!???
-engine in need of rebuild as it burns n leaks lot of oil!
-the non-GM CAT and o2 sensor installed last year
-car has been lowered quite a lot!! and the steering become a bit heavier!

*update*
my rear left lexus light seems to get steamed up occasionally, but recently has been steamed up a lot because of hot weather! will this affect the MOT???

[Edited on 05-07-2006 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
Chris_Sport

3rd Jul 06 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obvious things like all bulbs work etc.
Won't fail on burning oil unless its really excessive.
Holes around any structural components.

Do a search in the Internet to see what testers check.
MoNkEy MaGiC

3rd Jul 06 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im pretty sure its all ok, bulbs all work, seat belts, washers, wipers, number plates, horn, headlight beam direction and level, handbrake clicks about 7 times, brake pedal feels good, steering does not knock/crunch but has become heavier since lowering the car!??

just a bit worried about the emissions again??
ive also got brighter 100watt bulbs in the dipped beam for the headlights??
mattievRS

3rd Jul 06 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoNkEy MaGiC
im pretty sure its all ok, bulbs all work, seat belts, washers, wipers, number plates, horn, headlight beam direction and level, handbrake clicks about 7 times, brake pedal feels good, steering does not knock/crunch but has become heavier since lowering the car!??

100 watt bulbs will fail it needs 65w maximum in. Something to do with screwing the reflection of the lights and beam projection!!
J100RSA

3rd Jul 06 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by m17tty
quote:
Originally posted by MoNkEy MaGiC

100 watt bulbs will fail it needs 65w maximum in. Something to do with screwing the reflection of the lights and beam projection!!

which comic told you that
MoNkEy MaGiC

3rd Jul 06 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok so will the 100watts be ok??
i might just take them out to be on safe side
J100RSA

3rd Jul 06 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea how is the tester gonna know im a tester and i would not know if you didnt say
MoNkEy MaGiC

3rd Jul 06 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh your a MOT tester wicked
cant get better advice than that then lol

i thought that headlamp testing device measures the output of the lights bulbs aswell

also would it be worth taking the induction kit off and putting the old airbox on??
my local mechanic said this to me before i went to last years mot, said it helped emmisions

[Edited on 03-07-2006 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
J100RSA

3rd Jul 06 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no it measures the pattern of the beam as for the induction kit that is up to you
J100RSA

3rd Jul 06 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it annoys the hell out of me that poeple think they know about mot's when they obviously dont!
mattievRS

4th Jul 06 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J100RSA
it annoys the hell out of me that poeple think they know about mot's when they obviously dont!

Oddly enough mate my car failed on 100 watt bulbs as the reflection of the beam was distorting and shining too wide.That was a vauxhall mot station too and anyway just cos ur a tester doesnt mean you are the be all and end all OR that what you think you know is right.
MoNkEy MaGiC

5th Jul 06 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok so il replace the bulbs to be on safe sade!

ALSO i have rear lexus lights, the left one seems to get steamed up occasionally, its been steamed up quite a lot recently because of the hot weather!!

will this fail the MOT???
J100RSA

5th Jul 06 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Oddly enough mate my car failed on 100 watt bulbs as the reflection of the beam was distorting and shining too wide.That was a vauxhall mot station too and anyway just cos ur a tester doesnt mean you are the be all and end all OR that what you think you know is right.

were the tips of the bulb appearing to be distorted?? if so that why you got a poor pattern the lighting output dose not come into or affect the mot in any way. So what your saying os that xenon lights should fail because the out put is equivilent to 150watts also dose it not dawn on you that you went to a main vauxhall agent for an mot they proberbly couldnt fail your car so they thought they'd have you on some headlight bulbs becauise the pattern is too wide i think they had you

also i do not calim to know everything but i do know a hell of lot more that people like you!!

[Edited on 05-07-2006 by J100RSA]
mattievRS

7th Jul 06 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

were the tips of the bulb appearing to be distorted?? if so that why you got a poor pattern the lighting output dose not come into or affect the mot in any way. So what your saying os that xenon lights should fail because the out put is equivilent to 150watts also dose it not dawn on you that you went to a main vauxhall agent for an mot they proberbly couldnt fail your car so they thought they'd have you on some headlight bulbs becauise the pattern is too wide i think they had you

also i do not calim to know everything but i do know a hell of lot more that people like you!!

Funny thing is that my dad is the vauxhall mot guy and he would never have my pants down!!To be fair mate youre not gonna win this so take your head out of your arse and be a man and not a little wimpering girl!!
jamied

8th Jul 06 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he aint gonna win cos everytime he says summat ur gonna change ur story to suit you...
J100RSA

8th Jul 06 at 01:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so then mate you tell me where in the hand book it says reason for rejection bulbs too bright?? ar the fact it can fail for the beam being too wide?? it dose'nt dose it, it can fail for poor pattern aim high, low also why is my head up my arse? is this because you know fuck all about what your talking about???
mattievRS

9th Jul 06 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
so then mate you tell me where in the hand book it says reason for rejection bulbs too bright?? ar the fact it can fail for the beam being too wide?? it dose'nt dose it, it can fail for poor pattern aim high, low also why is my head up my arse? is this because you know fuck all about what your talking about???

J100RSA + 306CORSA= Pair of fcuking knobs!
jamied

9th Jul 06 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

m17tty = thickshit dumbass tosser

[Edited on 09-07-2006 by 306CORSA]
J100RSA

9th Jul 06 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why am i knob? just cos im voicing an oppinion? or is cos i know my job and you think you know my job?

[Edited on 09-07-2006 by J100RSA]
boyracer2002

9th Jul 06 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lmfao - random opinion of Dan n Jam there
ainsley_brader

9th Jul 06 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Funny thing is that my dad is the vauxhall mot guy and he would never have my pants down!!To be fair mate youre not gonna win this so take your head out of your arse and be a man and not a little wimpering girl!!

TBH I think Dan has already won this one on the grounds that he is correct!

Ainsley
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th Jul 06 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the Gsi failed again on emmisions on the retest!

the thing i need to know, is my mechanic pulling my leg... he said because your car is burning/leaking a lot of oil it is effecting the emmisions, and the mot are more strict now, so a rebuild is only way to get around it and then pass MOT!!!!!

but i think its just my lambda/o2 sensor is fooked again, even though i replaced it last year, but because car is running rich and all the oil burn smoke has clogged it up again, should i try a new sensor???

what you guys think??
MOT runs out in 2 days!!!!!
J100RSA

13th Jul 06 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what out mate co, hc or lamda
MoNkEy MaGiC

13th Jul 06 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tell the truth mate it baffled me, i was looking at it and he was trying to explain it but he was not very clear, soim not to sure!!!

but he said at idle it was fine and could have passed, but soon as he revved it up i THINK ALL readings went up, however i was mainly just looking at the lambda reading which was high, which i think as bottom left of screen
AK

13th Jul 06 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats strange.

Didnt you ask for the print out?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll