corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wireless internet

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless internet
Charlene

User status: Offline
26th Feb 06 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im just wondering what is the best wireless thing is to get, we are getting another laptop so need both running off the one broadband, i know i have to get some usb plug things which then connect to the wireless box but im not sure which one to get, any suggestions?

Cheers
Russ

26th Feb 06 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you know you need to get USB plug things that plug to the wireless box?

you know fuck all then
Bart

26th Feb 06 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
you know you need to get USB plug things that plug to the wireless box?

you know fuck all then

i think you can get a wireless gateway with a usb port on, which effectivly is your average gateway/modem/router all in one.
Dan B

26th Feb 06 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.dslsource.co.uk/product_details.asp?idProduct=195

Router plus one PCMCIA wireless card, for the laptop......if you have two laptops, go into the "Wireless" section, and add another one of these...

Avoid USB for anything you'd like to use "constantly", especially if you're using other USB devices, and especially on a laptop (in my opinion).

[Edited on 26-02-2006 by Dan B]
Andrew

26th Feb 06 at 23:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use a BT Voyager 2100 Router and the wireless card built into the laptop. Have one desktop wired in and one on a PCI generic wireless card.

If you buying a laptop the i'd get one with built in wireless and get a PCMCIA card for the hp laptop you have now.

You can pick up kits with the router and PCMCIA card or you can buy them seperatly. Just check that it will work with NTL first. I've never used NTL so i'm not sure if you need a specific router for it to work.
Dan B

27th Feb 06 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh, cable......never used it, but would imagine you'd need a wireless router (without modem). I'll see if I can get a link, in a bit.

Was quite impressed with the BTVoyager 2100, officially tested it in work for BT......a few niggles with the original firmware, but passed my report back to our account-manager within BT and he was going to have a chat with the engineering department to see what could be arranged. I switched teams before I heard anything back, though...

[Edited on 27-02-2006 by Dan B]
Dan B

27th Feb 06 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something like this, but it doesn't come with any PCMCIA cards (see post at 23:13 for a link for those)
Mertin

27th Feb 06 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got the bt voyager wireless router

much easier than setting up everything wireless through a route from currys or somewhere

ots just plug and play, same as normal broadband as long as you have the wireless card in your laptop

New Poll