corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.2 8v,what to do to up power? colledge project.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.2 8v,what to do to up power? colledge project.
loo_goblin

User status: Offline
10th Feb 06 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

swap ur engine with the team wit the calibra
James R

10th Feb 06 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd suggest, go get a 1.6 vx engine from scrapper, pref a nova Gsi engine, swap head, bore the block and put in the crank rods and pistons, a decompression plate, and rob the turbo form a uni turbo R5 turbo or similar, and then use whatever mappable management you have knockign about to sort the fuellign and ign.

Shoudl eek 180BHP out of it
johnny27

10th Feb 06 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are the power figure's going to be measured in proportion? As it would'nt be fair otherwise, for example the calibra engine would respond much better to mods than you 12nz.
Ry_B
Banned

10th Feb 06 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They dont have a cally, that was a totally different person posting, read the names next time
Rileysport

10th Feb 06 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gotta keep the block.... what a t88 turbo on there
johnny27

10th Feb 06 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rcb
They dont have a cally, that was a totally different person posting, read the names next time

but my point still stands
johnny27

10th Feb 06 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't mean to be rude, but the guy has said he needs to keep the orignal block, so suggestions about putting bigger engines in there are'nt helping him. Any1 got any tips or info he can use on his 1.2
causer63

10th Feb 06 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not rebore it to the maximum over bore? maybe even bore the lot out and put liners in it so you can get even bigger pistons? skim the head and get higher compression whats the situations with heads? have to use the original one or can you use somethin else? if youve got to keep it port and polish it. no massive gains are going to be made but somethings better than nothin. would throttle bodies be any use to this engine??
alistairolsen

10th Feb 06 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bore it out to take 1400 pistons and crank
Use c16xe rods as these have fractured caps and are stronger
lighten and balance it all
arp rod bolts
lightened flywheel
use a c14se head
port the above a lot
use a 300deg cam
vernier pulley
11:1 comp ratio ish
36mm motorbike throttle bodies
mappable management
long primary 4 into 1 manifold
straight thru exhaust with no cat
get it all mapped carefully and you should be getting 8krpm and seeing 140 plus bhp

of course all of this is bollocks if you are allowed nitrous/forced induction, or not allowed rebores/headswaps (if you have to keep original head, get a 1.2 carb engine with the cathedral port head)
Cybermonkey

11th Feb 06 at 02:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would scrap the whole injection system for starters and get a carb head from an early corsa or a nova, then head that route with some 40's. either that or turbo it
johnny27

11th Feb 06 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
i would scrap the whole injection system for starters and get a carb head from an early corsa or a nova, then head that route with some 40's. either that or turbo it

I don't think any corsa came with a carb head lol
You'd want a nova 1.2 carbed head which are getting very rare. Or else a nova 1300 sr head which should'nt be to difficult to find. If you go with the webber 32/34 carb you need a 1300 sr manifold. Or with the 40s you want the proper 40 manifold and lower altenator bracket. Don't use the 1400 carb head its crap just like you 1.2 spi head. BTW you can't bore a 1200 block to suit 1400 pistons and stroke, the 1400 had a longer stroke block, so you'd not get 1400 power, you could just over bore the block abit. but you can convert a 1300 block for a 1400, but this is of no use to you

johnny27

11th Feb 06 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
bore it out to take 1400 pistons and crank

the 1200 block is literally not tall enough for the stroke of a 1400 crankshaft
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

11th Feb 06 at 14:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bore it out to 1.25
Balance and lighten the crank
Then use solid engine mounts
Rod bolts
High lift cams
Uprated valve springs
Tb's (they're injection right?)
Management
Raised rev limit

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
Gregor

11th Feb 06 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know the lad is doing this for college etc , but can any of it be realisticly done , with benefits ?
johnny27

11th Feb 06 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look on page 1 on my post about my 12nz. The work on it was easy done, did'nt have to touch the bottom end, and did'nt cost much to do. Power gain was alot for the money and work spent.
miles

11th Feb 06 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends entirely on the budget, without knowing that we've no idea what to suggest.

Ultimately though if you want to impress your going to have to turbo it.
alistairolsen

11th Feb 06 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought all the block were the same height?

For those of you suggesting bigger engines, fuck off, he has to use original block, so you arent helping!

To those who are proposing webber 32/34 etc, yes, ideal for a driveable engine on the road, at minimal cost. This lad is after max power, hasnt stated a budget, and it doesnt need to be driveable, so it has to be multichocke fuel injection and a ridiculous cam.
johnny27

11th Feb 06 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't over look the webber 32/34, you'd be suprised with the extra power. As said i proved it, switched from the 40s to it and lost no power, its a very well designed carb, not to be underestimated for a single twin choke carb
johnny27

11th Feb 06 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1300 and 1400 are taller than the 1200, it not visably taller though. The 1300 and 1400 crank has a longer throw. the 1200 piston is bigger than the 1.3, and is the same size as the 1400. The advantage of the 1400 is that it has the 1200 large(ish) piston and the same stroke length as the 1300. Its only the 1300 which can be converted to the 1400 using the 1200 piston and 1300 or 1400 crank, for the reasons i mentioned the same can not be done to the 1200
alistairolsen

11th Feb 06 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will never match properly matched TBS with a single chocke carb. Doesnt matter if its designed by god!

hadnt realised the blocks were of different heights, I assumed the gudgeon pin was simply further from the crown
johnny27

11th Feb 06 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 32/34 is a twin choke. No real need in going for a tb setup in a 1.2, even bike tbs. I think a properly jetted DTML or if you really think u need more go for 40s properly setup would be just fine, the advantage of the tb over the twin carbs is that the mixture can be adjusted (mapped) precisely over the rev range, this would'nt matter on a off road 1.2 corsa, it would'nt matter if she's running abit lean or rich at different parts of the rev range, its only a 1.2 offroader. It depends how you decide to mod your engine, but if your going mild with things like a good head, 289/95 cam and decent manifold exhaust system, then the 32/34 DTML carb will be just fine 40s would be overkill, if your going to have even more mods like flat nose cam, big valve head, botttom end work then you can slap on the 40s and set it up
Basically what i'm saying is if your on a budget doing mild mods then webber 32/34 dtml carb, if u going from moderate to heavy tuning go with the 40s
alistairolsen

11th Feb 06 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know the theory!

I also have a webber carb in the shed and know how they work

you will not see the same power out of the 32/34 as TBS or twin 40s ever

40s will arguably give the same power as TBs, but only at one single point int he rev range/load curve. For the sake of a maximum power number they will be fine tho.
johnny27

11th Feb 06 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but what i'm trying to tell you is, 40s are'nt any more benfit on an mildly tuned engine than the dtml is, i'm not saying that the dtml is the same power as the 40s, whats the point on putting 4 chokes on an engine that has'nt the potenial or mods to make use of them. The dtml is fine up to as certain point of tune, then the 40s are required. I went thru both end of the scale on my engine, do you understand what i mean
alistairolsen

11th Feb 06 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand that, but the guy wants to build an engine with as much power as he can get, therefore a 32.34 is not what hes after.
johnny27

12th Feb 06 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no prob alistair. So Karl you tons of suggestions, u prob starting to c there not cheap, what are you thinking of doing then?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll