corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Any1 anygood with Active Directory, Windows Server 2003 & Administering roaming profiles

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any1 anygood with Active Directory, Windows Server 2003 & Administering roaming profiles
MarkW

User status: Offline
1st Nov 05 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as above, long shot i know, need help though
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 05 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not fantastic, but go on...
MarkW

1st Nov 05 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right,

new job, need to impress etc and been tasked with creating roaming profiles, which will be for about half the workforce so around 200 employees...

Managed to create the roaming profile without too many problems, some tweaks need making but this ain't a problem, problems i do have are:

Redirecting My Documents folder so it actually saves on the share on the server - at the moment if you login in as the roaming profile any documents created just aren't saved - now am 99% certain this is down to permissions on access rights not being setup buts its baffling me nonetheless.

I want to setup up the desktop so only the specific created roaming icons are shown rather than the icons which are already on a workstation.

Any ideas would be most grateful, reading through a pdf at moment but its like a 1000 pages long
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 05 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the new path to My Documents?

Roaming desktop means you need to copy desktop to and from workstation every time you log on/off...
MarkW

1st Nov 05 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

\\hyldc02\Roaming Profiles\Personal\%USERNAME%\My Documents

Set it to redirect to this location - or something like tht am not at work so can't remeber exactly - its when you go into GPO & edit Group Policy Iirc

i know roaming dekstops means you need to copy desktop to and from workstation, but something just aint setup right
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 05 at 22:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you made folders in \\hyldc02\Roaming Profiles\Personal
MarkW

1st Nov 05 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes i have made folders, although in edit group policy it says automatically creates these folders???
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 05 at 22:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You checked the permissions on them?
MarkW

1st Nov 05 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh the permissions i've set to full access for that account and for the share, i know this isn't ideal in real world but for testing & make it work there on full access for now

[Edited on 01-11-2005 by MarkW]
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 05 at 22:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They should already belong to %USERNAME% and have the corresponding entry in Security tab.
Paul

1st Nov 05 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want specific help add me to MSN paul@bempton.net
MarkW

1st Nov 05 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
They should already belong to %USERNAME% and have the corresponding entry in Security tab.

shall check this tomorrow
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 05 at 23:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats the only thing I can think of, failing that there are some permissions being inherited which you need to turn off on the bits you're mapping to.
Paul

2nd Nov 05 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorted
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Nov 05 at 00:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go on....
Paul

2nd Nov 05 at 04:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After a rather lengthy conversation and a further understanding of hardware availablility, user load and usage habits, we came to the conclusion that roaming profiles aren't the best way to go. How ever the redirection of certain required files through the use of elements of the GPO's that we could obtain the same desired effect without the hardware grinding to a halt.

New Poll