corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » IT profesionals in here

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author IT profesionals in here
SetH

User status: Offline
21st Apr 04 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

reet got a win 2k server on a LAN in one of our offices, it is not connected to the WAN and thus is not within the companys forest. What i need to know is will it be able to manage printers within this one LAN seeing as it wont be able to publish printers to an Active directory?
Ditch

21st Apr 04 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flying weasels
3CorsaMeal

21st Apr 04 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd get a MAN in about ur LAN he may have a PLAN, i'm not really a FAN of this computer stuff.
Nismo

21st Apr 04 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
i'd get a MAN in about ur LAN he may have a PLAN, i'm not really a FAN of this computer stuff.

SetH

21st Apr 04 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS why you fools in my thead
Ditch

21st Apr 04 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dan_sri

21st Apr 04 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i aint really sure but like you say, wouldnt think that it would work, as there is no AD to connect to.
Daimo B

21st Apr 04 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
reet got a win 2k server on a LAN in one of our offices, it is not connected to the WAN and thus is not within the companys forest. What i need to know is will it be able to manage printers within this one LAN seeing as it wont be able to publish printers to an Active directory?

If the server isn't on the WAN but is on teh LAN i can't see why not. As long as the right drivers are installed. You can still print within the LAN though. just outside offices wont be able to print in.
SetH

21st Apr 04 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yesh daimo, i have just installed the printer and shared it. edited the login.cmd in system 32 folder and put in a netuse command that maps to the server and authenticates the user so they can see the printer share! problem solved.

was tricky because this office is not on the company domain but is connected to a novell server in another office.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Apr 04 at 15:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The old way of doing it was the printer manager - whose name escapes me - that you could install as a web application when you install IIS. As long as you're able to see the machine you can use this service to administer whatever local resources are installed on it.

I'm assuming that you can see the machine from outside even though they're not registered?

New Poll