corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » removing engine C16XE

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author removing engine C16XE
RobHayes

User status: Offline
14th Aug 05 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how difficult is it to remove and re-fit the engine, leaving the gearbox fitted?

last time i did it i removed the engine/gearbox as one, and pissed gearbox oil everywhere when i removed the driveshafts, and i dont think daddy will approve of a nice oily driveway
Dan. T

14th Aug 05 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Friend of mine has recently rebuilt his C16XE, he used a huge tray (size of a kids sand pit) underneath the engine so when the driveshafts popped out the oil was caught in the tray,

otherwise it may be klennex at the ready
RobHayes

14th Aug 05 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

last time i did this, but it suddenly became windy and i got oil blown everywhere, including in my face.
might get a big tray from somewhere, or a load of cardboard weighed down
Nic Barnes

14th Aug 05 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant get the engine out with the gearbox being in there. well, i guess anything is possible, but realistically speakin, as above get huge tray, drain all the oil out of box through the drainer plug on bottom of box first, then non should come out when you take shafts out
RobHayes

14th Aug 05 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by muppetsport
you cant get the engine out with the gearbox being in there. well, i guess anything is possible, but realistically speakin, as above get huge tray, drain all the oil out of box through the drainer plug on bottom of box first, then non should come out when you take shafts out

good thinking batman. will do that idea. old oil bottle + big funnel right up under the plug so non can miss hopefully
Nic Barnes

14th Aug 05 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

usually about 2 litres ish in a gearbox, well there was in that 6 speed changed last night so get a 5 litre oil jobby

twas the best tip i ever got when doing things that involved removing shafts. drain the box through the plug. less mess.
Mattb

14th Aug 05 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or leave the driveshafts attached to the box

this is what i did with my calibra..

i also managed to remove the engine from my Gsi corsa leaving the box in place, but it was very very tight, and i wouldnt want to refit it with teh box already in
Nic Barnes

14th Aug 05 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, even better, remove tie bars anti roll bars and drop engine down with hubs attached still if you want.

drive shafts just get in the way really, who needs em.......
RobHayes

14th Aug 05 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i need to remove the hubs to fit new custom 5 stud ones, but will do this once the engine has been replaced i think.
got a 5 litre oil botle somewhere, will use loverly fresh g/box oil to refill afterwards too

New Poll