corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » xe conversion, week 16!! plz help

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author xe conversion, week 16!! plz help
langey

User status: Offline
3rd Jul 05 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right as you may know i've been doing this conversion for 16fookin weeks, had 2 monkeys on the case at 2 different garages, well not so much monkeys but just working blind, as they have never done this befroe. i've got some pics of plugs which aint conected, where do they go

the loom

the "spare" plugs

rad dont fit

will this driveshaft fit? guy who had his hands on it last said he tried and it was defo not going to fit.

old loom, is there things missin?

engine touching bulk head

any help is much appriciated, i'm really fucked off with this, spend waaaaaaayy too much money on the fucker, and i got about 150quid in my bank that has to last till aug 5th
Graeme
Premium Member

3rd Jul 05 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much did the other monkeys charge you?
lee mitchel is the guy to speak to!!
langey

3rd Jul 05 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C4 WLK
how much did the other monkeys charge you?
lee mitchel is the guy to speak to!!

so far to get to that stage i've paid out...400quid

i would have been better getting it down to lee, but the car had no engine in so towing it 300miles is a ball ache.
Graeme
Premium Member

3rd Jul 05 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u can hire a trailor for about £30 a day and then either borrow a car to tow it or u can hire a van for another £30 for a day!
langey

3rd Jul 05 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm only 20 tho, dont you have to be 21 to rent a van? thats what i always thought anyway.

Nic Barnes

3rd Jul 05 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for touching the bulk head, you need to cut a section out if you are to fit a power cap on.

rad should fit back in, depending on what mounts you use may differ slightly. i used the m-tec ones and the rad and fan fitted back in without chopping anything. to get from the thermostat to the rad on left side of engine you can get a bit of flexi hose from halfords, chop it to length.
Adam_B

3rd Jul 05 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i might have a hose to fit here lang if you need one, i'll have a look tomorrow

[Edited on 03-07-2005 by Adam_B]
langey

3rd Jul 05 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

muppetsport, the rad is too long, its touching each side of the headlamps so wont go forward. also a power cap wouldnt help, the engine will still rub against the fuel lines and break lines

adam, i think i need a new rad to fit anyway
Nic Barnes

3rd Jul 05 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what rad is it? i just used the 1400 16v one that came on the corsa. runs cool enough.

the part where i cut the bulkhead i bent the brake lines and ran the fuel lines and brake servo pipe behind so they dont touch or rub on anything
Adam-D

3rd Jul 05 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any corsa rad will work mate
there all the same apart from diesel one i think

langey

3rd Jul 05 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well this one will not fit past the headlamps, i've took pictures to show you, its the ont that was in when it was a 1.4 16v
Graeme
Premium Member

3rd Jul 05 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did the rad fit before u put this engine in?
also cant u move the lines infront of the inlet manifold!!
AJBek

3rd Jul 05 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK, the rad must fit if it is a corsa one as the fitting of the XE has nothing to do with this. I think that could be an astra rad as the top outlet is different to the corsa one which comes straight out the side rather than up at an angle like that one, corsa rad will definately fit so I doubt that is a corsa one. Secondly the driveshaft in the pics looks like an equal length cav shaft which could be made to fit the corsa, but is much more work as you need to fabricate a mount for the bearing section in the middle, and even then it still won't be the correct length. Be much easier to use cav 1.6 inner cvs and corsa shafts, or custom shafts. Have you changed the hubs? as for the engine hitting the bulkhead, you really need to get all that sound deadening out of there (all the fitting guides tell you to do this) as space at the back is quite tight. Have you cut down the heater outlets as well? The wiring is really easy all you need are a permenant live, a switched live, revcounter, fuel pump relay diagnostics and dash coolant sender (perhaps one other) all the rest of the wiring is self contained in the XE loom and shouldn't need touching.

[Edited on 03-07-2005 by AJBek]
myke

3rd Jul 05 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

standard rad should easily fit between the lights. maybe yours was fitted witha n astra rad or sopmething. get a corsa one from a scrappies. vaux want £150, and a motor factors should be about £70.

the plugs 'should' all match up to something. few things you may not have seen are the reverse light switch on the gearbox, the bonnet sensor, icv, fuel tank vent valve, looks like your hall sensor is connected already.

the hose you need to connect stat to rad is from a 1.0 12v corsa.

the ecopipe adapter plate should just fit in on the throttle without having to hack the firewall, if it touches a brake pipe, then bend it gently out of the way. they're fairly easy to bend.

the shaft looks like a cally split one, which should go straight in without hassle, although the support bar between the two halfs of it needs bolting to the back of the block.

with the wiring you need to match up all of the colours that are the same on either side. think there are six.
langey

3rd Jul 05 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the rad is defo out the corsa as i took it out, put it in my boot, and then got it back from tere. it used to have air con rad infront of it.

i've been told on here that shafts out of a cav work?? or a staight one from a calibra is it??
myke

3rd Jul 05 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cav/calibra pretty much the same i think.

here was my footwell wiring:

the bit in my hand came through with the ecu plug from the 2ltr loom. the bits on the right were the corsa body loom. match the colours.
black and red go elsewhere.

also the heater matrix stubs should be ok in a corsa. it's the novas where they need cutting back afaik
AJBek

3rd Jul 05 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might be a corsa C you got it from as the B one comes out straight sideways rather than at an angle like that one (or at least mine does and one one in the haynes manual) regardless the one you have is wrong as it doens't fit. The equal length shafts you have will work but as myke said you need to bolt the support to the block or use a longer unequal length shaft. A cally one will fit but is a bit too long and will damage the bearing over time (some people have no problems with this but other have probs after a couple of hundred miles, not sure why tbh). Have you changed the hubs and if so to what.
AJBek

3rd Jul 05 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I left my heater matrix stubs but my car is on tbs so can't really comment, were your's OK myke?. I know the m-tec guide says you need to cut back one of them back or the heater hose rubs on the inlet manifold.
langey

3rd Jul 05 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

berady did the loom, but then i needed a new loom as there was plugs missing off the one i got off turbochris.

so do you think i'm best droping the engine out and starting again? really pissing me off now, cars been off the raod for 16week,s spent a fortune and its still in a wank state

could i have [ut the back mount on wrong?? someone said it might be in the wrong hole or somthing??
langey

3rd Jul 05 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i machined the cav hubs to the same as the corsa ones.
lee mitchell

3rd Jul 05 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the rd is a corsa b with air con. u can use them but sometimes that hose is dodgy to find to fit the thermo thats why i use smaller rads
myke

3rd Jul 05 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my matrix stubs are full length, and fit in fine. it was a little tight to get the hose in but it doesn't rub.

the old loom looks ok from the picture. what is it missing?
i don't recognise half of the plugs on the loom you have in at the mo, but if you list what's there, then someone should be able to help identify them.
ie, three pin, blue, black, and orange etc..
Nic Barnes

3rd Jul 05 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my wiring was like that in the pic from myke. pretty simle to do just had to run an ignition live to the engine bay
AJBek

3rd Jul 05 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool there is your answer mate, that must be why the top hose is different. The loom is pretty easy mate, just match the colours in the footwell as Myke says. If you are using machined astra hubs then the cav shafts should work, but they are a bit too long according to some people.
Nic Barnes

3rd Jul 05 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, just novas heater matrix deeleys need cutting/bending or fettlin with. corsa ones aint a problem.

if you are that worried about it, start again.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll