corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » xe conversion, week 16!! plz help

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author xe conversion, week 16!! plz help
myke

User status: Offline
3rd Jul 05 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's just the short n/s shaft that's a bit too long.
you'll notice it as you come to do up the bottom suspension bolts, as they'll be a bitch to get back together. they do go though, and mine have been in for around 9months and i haven't killed a hub, bearing, cv or anything else yet.

the o/s shaft should fit liek a glove, but you need to secure the split to the engine.
if you can't get it on or don't have the bit, then an astra gte shaft will do the same job, but could induce a bit of torque steer.
langey

4th Jul 05 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right 1st things 1st, i need to get the engine sat in properly dont i, but its touching the buckhead at the back, but the p/s pump is about 5mm away from the bar that goes across at the bottom

do i need to take all that black padding out for defo or will it be ok to leave it there?

also could i have sat the back mount in wrong or is there only one way it will go?
Nic Barnes

4th Jul 05 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the sound deading/firewall crap is still in on my corsa. engnine just about touches it but as its padding it aint no beef really.

for the pas pump, dont someone make a special mount to make it sit higher up? think its LMF that sell em.

did the rear spacer block get used? and is the rear gearbox bolt actually through the hole it goes through or just either side of this hole as there is a gap in the rubber if i remember
langey

4th Jul 05 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its so long ago when it was put in a cant remember,

no spacer was used anywere, rear mount was the corsa one, gearbox one, beardy trimmed somthing down, and then we made the other mount. the engine aint pressed up against the padding, its about 2-3mm away tho, so as soon as it cracks up it will knock against it will it not??

any pics of a quick diagram about the gearbox mount??
Nic Barnes

4th Jul 05 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for the rear one i thew the spacer into a big bush at the back of my house then ground the lip off the corsa one so it sits flush with the f20, then re-attached and away it goes. reckon thats what will have been done on yours if you say someone trimmed summit down so thats cool enough.

my engine sits only a couple of mm off that sound deading but it doesnt knock off the bulkhead at all. doesnt catch off anywhere
langey

4th Jul 05 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well beardy did it , and he said it works fine in loads of corsas, maybe i'm just being a girl with it sitting too close to the bulk head? what do you think from the pics?
ed

4th Jul 05 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where is it touching? My engine is bloody tight against the bulkhead... The Ecotec pipe is firm up against the bulkhead, but nothing else is actually touching... Apart from a mass of wires and pipes, and a few spare things I forgot to take off...
ed

4th Jul 05 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Driveshaft should fit ok too, though it may damage the wheel bearings eventually.

If you have an a/c radiator you need to fit a normal one because they are bit of a bugger to use. Think you are meant to use 1.4 and above because they are slightly larger than the 1.2 ones, though I'm not 100% how true that is.
langey

4th Jul 05 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i aint out the ecotec pipe on yet but on page one can you see the top of the inlet manifold, thats where its touching, well its about 2-3 mm away from it, but the brake lines are behind there and dont wanna rub against them

need this step by step guide ed )
langey

4th Jul 05 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got the 1.4 rad, but it was set back as the air con one was infront of it, do i need a 1.4 one that is out a car without air con? cheers for the help/advice guys
ed

4th Jul 05 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, the 'rules' are if you had an a/c rad on before then you should really try and fit a non a/c one...
ed

4th Jul 05 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your engine looks to be in the right place, it is very tight because of the size of the inlet manifold, will go take a few pics of mine to compare as i'm still in pieces
ed

4th Jul 05 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

langey

4th Jul 05 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got some pics of mine here ed

langey

4th Jul 05 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as you can see the ps pump is right next to the bar at the bottom, and the next pic down the rad dont fit, but could the engione move more forward??
Twiggy

4th Jul 05 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

omg!!! I feel for ya dude i aint much help as i paid for someone else to worry about it!

TTT peeps

[Edited on 04-07-2005 by REDSPORT]
lee mitchell

4th Jul 05 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Think you are meant to use 1.4 and above because they are slightly larger than the 1.2 ones, though I'm not 100% how true that is.

not true at all
langey

4th Jul 05 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lee mitchell
quote:
Originally posted by ed
Think you are meant to use 1.4 and above because they are slightly larger than the 1.2 ones, though I'm not 100% how true that is.

not true at all

so get a 1.2 one??
ed

4th Jul 05 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess so, if you find a diesel one then use that. They are bigger, I think. I have heard so many different things though...
ed

4th Jul 05 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Though I would just go to a scrappy and see what they have got.
langey

4th Jul 05 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what do you think about the new pics of the inlet manifold? too close??
ed

4th Jul 05 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's hard to tell, though it looks ok. The thing is though, it can only be in the right place with the way the mounts are positioned. You used the Corsa gearbox mount and a new engine mount, if the engine mount was not in right then the engine would not be in straight. They are really really tight fitting engines in a Corsa bay, my Ecotec pip is up hard against the bulkhead so much so it is squeezed inwards a bit, but I guess that is what you have to put up with if you want a big block engine in the car...
Nic Barnes

4th Jul 05 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought all 1.2 and 1.4 and 1.6 rads were all the same? only 1litre and diesel and air con ones were different.

see, mine sits close aswell like that, will see if i got any pics floating about later on to show you. it doesnt hit anything, all the pipes are moved on mine now though into the chunk of bulkhead we cut out
langey

4th Jul 05 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ed i used the back engine mount out the corsa, cut some away on the gearbox mount, and made the other mount by welding 2 bits of metal, but we held the engine in place with a crane while we spotted the bits of metal. need to have a close look at one in person, best way to tell really aint it.
ed

4th Jul 05 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when you do it that way you need to make sure the engine is sitting in the engine bay level. If it is then the engine is in the right place, if it up too high on the drivers side then that is your problem, but I doubt it is.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll