corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Door builds

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Door builds
Dougie_fresh25

User status: Offline
31st May 05 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well after seeing all those pics of ur door builds i have decided to have a go of my own on some door cards i found in the breakers.
One problem i have bought p40 fibreglass and p38, i thought that was really all u needed but i heard about matt and resin,
What is that and do i need it????
Richie

31st May 05 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its easier to shape if you using fibreglass matting.
Dougie_fresh25

31st May 05 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is that what u mix with all the different things???
50Calibre

31st May 05 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fibreglass matting is basically like a tissue paper type material (obviously its fibreglass) but u can get it very thin, u then can mix the resin and some hardener and 'paint it' onto the fibreglass matting which can then be shaped, this will need a few layers about 3 or 4 at least before its strong enough though
Dougie_fresh25

1st Jun 05 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so modeling that way will give a better result than just using p40 and p38???
RKS

1st Jun 05 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the end result will probably look the same 2 begin with. but if you do not use matting and resin it will certainly almost crack.

also dont forget to sand down the plastic and clean it with Meths to ensure there is no dirt on the surface
Fear

1st Jun 05 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What kinda builds are you trying!

If its the simple one speaker builds some MDF and Fibrefill would do fine then some P39 or easy filler after that!
Dougie_fresh25

1st Jun 05 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was gunna try the speaker pod and crossovers
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Jun 05 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 50Calibre
fibreglass matting is basically like a tissue paper type material (obviously its fibreglass) but u can get it very thin, u then can mix the resin and some hardener and 'paint it' onto the fibreglass matting which can then be shaped, this will need a few layers about 3 or 4 at least before its strong enough though

no its not!! thats surfce tissue - not CSM or matting
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Jun 05 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and u'll need 2 layers of CSM (or 1 and 1 layer of Biax) - then a single layer of surface tissue

Dont answer questions if you dont know what your talking about - u'll make him cock it up

[Edited on 02-06-2005 by LiVe LeE]
RKS

3rd Jun 05 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
and u'll need 2 layers of CSM (or 1 and 1 layer of Biax) - then a single layer of surface tissue

Dont answer questions if you dont know what your talking about - u'll make him cock it up

[Edited on 02-06-2005 by LiVe LeE]

i used fibreglass matting and resin, and then standard car body filler on my door pods, and they came out fine,

[Edited on 03-06-2005 by --Rikki--]

James@CCC

3rd Jun 05 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lee was just saying to use fibreglass MATTING not fibreglass TISSUE as thatll be too thin and weak.

Urs seem to me made right rikki
Dougie_fresh25

3rd Jun 05 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So ppl what is best to use for speaker pods and crossovers
P40 and P38 or the matt and resin???????
RKS

3rd Jun 05 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you use matt and resin you will still need p38 filler

which method you choose is up to you, altho using matt and resin instead of p40 will reduce the chance of cracking

this is how I do it:

1. create your pod using mdf rings, and fix them with using screws or superglue,
2. sand down all surfaces so that they are rough
3. clean the rings and plastic throughly, making sure there is no dust on them,
4. mix up some fibreglass resin, then by putting the matting down where you want the curves of the pod and paint on the resin, (do about 3 layers of this)
5. sand down the fibreglass to remove any spikes in it.
6. using p38 filler smooth this over the fibreglass to fill in any holes and make the pod smooth and sand this down so its smooth,
7. paint will 2-3 coats of primer filler and then sand this down using fine sandpaper
8. paint using you desired paint!

Dougie_fresh25

3rd Jun 05 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks rikki, but wouldnt you need more than three layers of matt and resin to create the desired curve for the pod???
RichR
Premium Member

6th Jun 05 at 10:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on the complexity of the curve - Ive just built a single laminar carbon 70cm race yacht - its thin as anythin so wouldnt do for door pods - but structurely its v.v.good where ti needs to be - as ur only really using the GRP to give u the shape as opposed to structural rigidity - it's not worth doing much more than 3 layers of matt tbh -

Persoannly I'd use a layer of Biaxial matt, between two layers of Chop Strand Matt - and finish it with a surface tissue - the tissue is a good way of gettign a near as worth it finish - that way u'll need next to no filler
RichR
Premium Member

6th Jun 05 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plus try and get your MDF rings to as close a shape as u can - u dont want to be building up inches and inches of fibreglass - tbh I'd cover the rings in expanding foam or polyeurathane foam if u can get some - sand that to shape - then fibreglass over the top - the smoother ur prep, the less finishing or filling you'll have to do
RichR
Premium Member

6th Jun 05 at 10:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good site for you

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/
t_benn_1

6th Jun 05 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

couldn't some one do a Tutorial?
chr15barn3s

6th Jun 05 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=135232

there is a tutorial already
Dougie_fresh25

6th Jun 05 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers lee
RichR
Premium Member

6th Jun 05 at 14:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that tutorials okay - but u dont really want to use P40 as I keep saying - its the devils sperm of GRP - its shite and too heavy - if i get time over the next couple of weeks I'll do a sub box and door build tutorial when I do mine again
RichR
Premium Member

6th Jun 05 at 14:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest tho - this site (as i posted earlier) is very good - If i do a GRP tutorial I'll try and work on this to bring it a)up to date, b) relative to corsas, c) more step by step

but its a good site to be going on with
RichR
Premium Member

6th Jun 05 at 14:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/
Dougie_fresh25

6th Jun 05 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit off the subject but should i use my old speaker wires for my new components???
they will be amped

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll