corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Im Leaking - Possibly Oil pressure sensor

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Im Leaking - Possibly Oil pressure sensor
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   19th Mar 05 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got home from work today to find a load of drips on my Drive from where I park.

I jacked the front of my Car up to have a look for any oil dropping all over the place, and I struggled to find a dry patch, there was oily crap everywhere.

I've taken a few pictures of the main wet bits, and Im wondering if anyone could identify the leak(s) and give me a rough idea how to go about sorting them out.

Cheers.

[Edited on 19-03-2005 by m0nDe0]

[Edited on 20-03-2005 by m0nDe0]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Mar 05 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the last pic, I peeled back part of that pipe thingy that goes towards my drivers side wheel, im guessing thats bad.
The second one from the end is what im guessing is the sump? But I dont really know.
The top two show a metal panel with loads of rectangular holes in it, just behind the front bumper.

[Edited on 19-03-2005 by m0nDe0]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Mar 05 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was laying under the car having another look, and looked up into the engine bay and noticed this hose dripping with oil with a loose bit of electrical tape dangling off it! Could this be it?

The hose is split at the end, how much am i looking for a new one and is it easy enough to replace?

Cheers

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

19th Mar 05 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that aint a hose dude, its a bit of split-loom wiring cover. nothing to worry bout

deffo wont be causing the leak.

to find out what is, steam clean the engine, run car for a bit, until u can see the leak again, this should give u a better idea where its coming from.
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Mar 05 at 23:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wonder why it was absolutely dripping with oi tho ?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

19th Mar 05 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because the ol is running down onto it and dripping off it. do the steam clean and that will giove a good idea where its coming from.

what enginr is it btw?
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Mar 05 at 00:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12v

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Adam-D

20th Mar 05 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats quite a bit of oil there

get a further back pictureso whole engine is in view
russb

20th Mar 05 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rocker gasket it could be, mine was pissing oil! and the oil just ran down the side and covered everything in oil!
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Mar 05 at 11:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RIght cheers for the answers. I've cleaned off all the oil and Im going to leave the car running for a little while, and hopefully find out where its coming from.

I'll get some more photos aswell.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Mar 05 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok I've been out for another look, I put a massive metal tray under the engine bay are, and left my car idling, pulling on that accelerator cable thingy a few times to give it some revs.

At first the only place I could see oil dripping from was from that plug where that loom went into. I cut the engine, unplugged it and gave it a good clean. This is where I got a wee bit confused... the hole where it plugged into was full of oil... and if this is electrical cable.. why does it plug into an oily socket?
Anyways I cleaned it all off, plugged it back in and set the engine going again, and after no more than a minute, it started dripping out of there again!
Although I dont have a clue why, im pretty sure this is where the oil is coming from, and could easily splash all over my engine from there if the car was moving, hence explaining why the oil is absolutely all over the place.

Anyone know why this is happening, how to fix it or anything like that cheers.

Any info would be appreciated.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Mar 05 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the plug that went into the hole, maybe that green seal is fucked?

This is the socket, you can sort of see the oil inside it.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Red_SXi

20th Mar 05 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oil pressure sensor i think, i've heard its a problem on 12v's before, a new sensor should be a better seal and stop it leaking. I'm not 100% tho
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Mar 05 at 12:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you reckon its worth going to vaux? Will they give me an opinion without me having to pay them a small fortune?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Red_SXi

20th Mar 05 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just buy a new sensor and fit it first, if it still leaks then go to Vauxhall
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Mar 05 at 12:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So that thing with the green seal on it IS the oil pressure sensor?

If I bought a new one, does anyone know how to pull off the old one and put on the new one?

Cheers Red_SXi

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Mar 05 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And how much would a new sensor set me back? I can't find one on autovaux.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
RCoughtrie

20th Mar 05 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by m0nDe0
And how much would a new sensor set me back? I can't find one on autovaux.

got mines for £3 at vauxhall garage..... had the same problem as your self with the sensor/switch... easy as pie to remove and fit
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Mar 05 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great News.

I think i can find £3 from somewhere

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Edd

21st Mar 05 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it is your oil pressure switch its nothing to do with the green seal just unscrew the old one and fit the new,job done.
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Mar 05 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done it mate this morning.

Cost just over £4 from vauxhall, fitted it in about a minute and theres not been a drip of oil while I had the engine running *touch wood*

Cheers everyone.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

New Poll