corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » REALLY worrying problem (cos of water today)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author REALLY worrying problem (cos of water today)
lozzd

User status: Offline
19th Dec 04 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically, I dont know whats wrong but since the stupid amounts of rain today and me living in hampshire where the roads are basically lakes, my car keeps loosing its power (1.4 Corsa B that is) at first i thought it was because i was low on petrol but it did it again after coming through a particually large amount of water just then. Basically if i put my foot down, the car sputters and jerks, and shortly after that, going up a hill, i just didnt have any power at all. its not a particually steep hill, can normally do 70 easily in 5th, but i actaully had to change down to 3rd to keep it going at 40-50ish.
What can be wrong? Im really worried because I cant afford to fix something serious, its my first car and it cost a fair bit and I really hope its not broked

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks very much
Laurie
stevenford_uk

19th Dec 04 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could have damp inside the dizzy cap? that would cause it to cough and splutter.

have you got a cone filter or anything on the car? could have sucked up a bit of water, plugs could need cleaning and drying.
hope this helps, know how ya feel with the money and fixing shite that goes wrong, makes 2 of us.
lozzd

19th Dec 04 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, thanks im glad you understand!
Only problem being is i didnt understand a word you just said apart from the plugs bit lol,
whats a dizzy cap? my car is standard apart from a new debadged grill i put on today (but i doubt that'd have anything to do with it?)

Thanks for your response
Laurie
ed

19th Dec 04 at 00:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take the spark plugs out - spray them with WD-40
Take the HT leads off - spray them with WD-40 (Put them back in the right plugs though! )
Take the dizzy cap off - spray in that with WD-40
Spray any electrical connections coming out of the coil with WD-40

The Sparkplugs probably don't need to be done as the engine runs - do it if you have the correct socket though to be thorough.
The Dizzy is the distributor cap - it is (probably) red and sits on the right hand side of the engine and has five HT leads (wires going to the spark plugs/coil) comin out of it.
The coil is the small black cylender shaped oblect with just one HT lead coming from it and a plug with either two or three wires coming from it on the right hand side of the engine bay - it is normally located near the wheel arch.
IntaCepta

19th Dec 04 at 00:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it shouldn't be anything to worry about,
car will be sorted by tmrw, once everything dry's up abit.

if not just spray wd40 to dissy, plugs etc.

mostporbaly ur induction kit took some water in.

but nothing to worry about
lozzd

19th Dec 04 at 00:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey thanks, sorry to be really, erm, n00bish lol dont know much about the engine and stuff. Thanks for your detailed instructions tho, ill give it a go tommorrow,
Laurie
lozzd

19th Dec 04 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IntaCepta
it shouldn't be anything to worry about,
car will be sorted by tmrw, once everything dry's up abit.

if not just spray wd40 to dissy, plugs etc.

mostporbaly ur induction kit took some water in.

but nothing to worry about

ah, two posts at once, ok thanks, hopefully you're right and it'll be fine, just happened twice in one day was a bit worried. never happened before tho, so maybe ill be alright, just dont wanna loose power when i need it!

Laurie
ed

19th Dec 04 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First time for everything If the problem persists don't ignore it as it will get worse and will cost more. Though, as it has been so wet I would bet it's moisture in one of the electrical components of the engine - should dry out overnight. Induction kits don't do many favours in the wet either... We had a problem like this a few weeks ago - my mates car wouldn't start, we were at the side of the road broken down... He called the AA, they turned up a few hours later, went to start the car and it was fine
lozzd

19th Dec 04 at 01:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok now im gonna sound stupid, i thought an induction kit was something extra you put in? ive not done anything to the engine at all.
i was thinkin it might be one of the electrical bits, the ECU light didnt come on, but i guess it wouldnt.. hmm, anyway, i'll see what its like tommorrow (providing the weather is dry tommorrow!) and get back to you. thanks for your suggestions though fantastically quick response.

Cheers
Laurie
ed

19th Dec 04 at 01:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, just mis-read, if you haven't fitted anything to the engine then don't worry about what I just wrote...
lozzd

19th Dec 04 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heh, ok, will do!
mattyc_first_corsa

19th Dec 04 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where in hants you from??
lozzd

20th Dec 04 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

between alton and winch, u?
fax2004

20th Dec 04 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your engines sucked in water, then could be bent con rods, resulting in low compression in the offending cyliners, resulting in power loss and missfire. Had a ST170 in work today with K&N on it, sucked in shit loads and had bent 1,2 and 4. New engine required, £4k.
lozzd

20th Dec 04 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol, dont say that! worrying. Anywho, my car doesnt seem to be too bad now. well, yesterday, when it was dry. car seems a little sluggish.. but full tank of petrol just put in and very cold car, so that could have something to do with it. time will tell!

New Poll