corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » X12XE cooling help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author X12XE cooling help
Richie

User status: Offline
22nd Jun 04 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey peeps,

Serious problems here went out driving the other day for about 20 minutes, pulled back up on my driveway, and the temperature guage was slowly going up, so i switched the engine off, and in about 2 seconds there was water ****ing out from the engine bay

I left it for the night and came out next morning, there was hardly any coolant left in the expansion tank.

I topped it back up, started the car and put the heaters on full in the car. Within about 10 minutes the temperature went to 90c, then gradually went up. For some reason the fan only kicked in for a very short while then cut off. When the thermostat opened up the temperature went up like a bugger. I shut the engine off again and all of a sudden the expansion tank filled instantly to the top with coolant and boiled over and spat everywhere

Any ideas peeps? Im hoping its not the head gasket
3CorsaMeal

22nd Jun 04 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like headgasket or an airlock...

Darren

22nd Jun 04 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HG
LukeGSi

22nd Jun 04 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesnt sound good mate, me predicts HG too
Gambit

22nd Jun 04 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you should have looked to see where the water was coming from in the engine bay.

infact id fill it back up put the cap back on then sit and let it idle until the fan comes on - then you can have a look around to see where the water is pissing out of
Richie

22nd Jun 04 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The water pisses out of the top of the coolant bottle when i switch the engine off.....
Richie

23rd Jun 04 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just spotted a bit of mayoooo in the expansion tank today, HG is firked then :'(
Kris TD

23rd Jun 04 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
just spotted a bit of mayoooo in the expansion tank today, HG is firked then :'(

not necessarily, people always jump to the conclusion that white mayo or over heating is head gasket. you can get the mayo stuff from a blocked brether, or anytihng really. i dont know wat your engine is like but the 2.5 v6 has the oil cooler surrounded by water, its a commoon problem on these that the seasl go and oil gets in the water, nothing to do with HG though.
i would check your water pump, thermostat, fan switch before jumping to conclusions about the hg.
Ally

23rd Jun 04 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His car ... she is dead
Richie

24th Jun 04 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

indeed she is *
Richie

25th Jun 04 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She is alive again

Flushed out cooling system, drained engine oil (there was wayyyyyyyyyy to much oil in there, the dipstick was reading almost double ), refilled both, replaced thermostat cos old one was sticking, and replaced rad switch because it didnt kick in till about 98c but the new one kicks in at 95c which is right, and all is hunky dory now

New Poll