corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » To Chip Or Not To...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author To Chip Or Not To...
Blue_Sri

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 04 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting peeved off with my Corsa 1.4 8v, its been pinking for over 6 months now, ever since i used fooking Shells Optimax, the noise is like shaking a bag of nails, and i know my performace has been cut down, I have checked the spark plugs and HT Leads as it only had a service 2 month ago. I took it down to my local Auto Tuning garage and they said that it was pinking, so they checked the ECU for fault codes, none showed up on three seperate occasions.

Vauxhall told me because i have a fixed distributer and single point injection i cannot alter the timing to stop the pinking either so in their words "Im just going to have to live with it" well thats just great...
I think a chip may sort they problem but its a big maybe i first got offered a chip for £300 set up on a rolling road, the other chip i got offered was £168 however the ECU would be sent down to the company, they would then put the chip in theirself, but because all the information is pre-programmed into the chip i dont think it would sort out my problems. The pinking is really pissing me off, so has anyone had problems like this, or know what to do!! Please help!!
Adam_B

3rd Dec 04 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it not the tappets making the noise?
dousey

3rd Dec 04 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

time for a 2ltr transplant
Blue_Sri

3rd Dec 04 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No i am certain its pinking i was told by 3 different auto tuners, when i stab the throttle it makes this awful clicking sound. Have any of you heard of a RON Plug and know where it is.....
starkie

3rd Dec 04 at 04:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would agree with amiee get playing with them go to scrappies and get all the colours you can and try them all individually and try disconnecting the battery for a few hours to reset ecu
broster
Premium Member

3rd Dec 04 at 07:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

using optimaz and not changing the ron plug may cause pinking. why you using optimax anyway?
PaulW

3rd Dec 04 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ron plug is located top left of engine bay - should be saying 95 on it from the top...

you cure the clicking isnt a faulty HT lead which is bridging on one of the plug tubes on the engine?

Also just out of interest, do a compression test... I had a headgasket go 'slightly' between 2 cylinders once, didnt really affect performance much & that made a slapping/cracking noise under load & sometimes on idle...

the gap in the HG was something like 1mm - but it was there!
PaulW

3rd Dec 04 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
using optimaz and not changing the ron plug may cause pinking. why you using optimax anyway?

I used optimax in my old SPi lump... RON plug was set to 95 (on the 1.4 its only 91/95 selectable) and I never got no pinking...
Blue_Sri

8th Dec 04 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car doesnt have a RON Plug, the timing is controlled by the ECU, checked the engine for air leaks, the pinking isnt so violent now, however still there, gonna get the compression checked soon, also checked the timing today, timing is too fast, which would explain pinking, but it cannot be altered because of fixed distrubutor. Fecking ECU's !!
Darren

8th Dec 04 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt think you could chip the SPI's??
miles

8th Dec 04 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No point at all in the chip. You would be tackling the symptom and not the cause, and I doubt it would make any difference at all.

Using a higher rate of fuel wont cause pinking, using a lower rate might, however I guess these engines have a knock sensor that should prevent pinking.
AK

8th Dec 04 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tried re-setting the ecu...

New Poll