corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » PStwo & Screen...what else?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PStwo & Screen...what else?
c14nhl

User status: Offline
28th Oct 04 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright!
Wonder if you could give me some advice?
I am going to get the PStwo when it comes out, the new, thin PS2.
And also planning on getting the Alpine TME-M760 Screen.
Not planning on getting it flushed into the interior if you know what I mean, just want the screen on a stand, so it can be removed easily if need be.
When I get they things, what else will I need to get the setup right?
I want the sound to come out from the car speakers of course, is this even more work?
The thing is...well Im not the best when it comes to electronics. So where can I take it to get fitted, or should I give it a go myself?
Im pretty sure I will need to buy some other things for the setup to work, what else will be required?

Quite a lot of questions in there lol
All help is appreciated!
Thanks
CJ Blackburn
Mo

28th Oct 04 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u need a power invertor to plug the ps2 into and then it should just be a matter of hooking it up to the headunit (depending on what leads are at the back of the headunit i.e aux)
kev_corsa

28th Oct 04 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, as Mo said you will either need an invertor or a 12V PSU board for the PS2 (uses less current, produces less noise but voids ur warrenty on the PS2)
welshdude

28th Oct 04 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The new slim playstaion 2 doesn't need an invertor. It can be run straight from the car battery like the psone can.

This is because the power pack is external, it will be supplied with a stepdown power pack to convert mains power to 12v
kev_corsa

28th Oct 04 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o yes, welshdude is right, are you sure its 12V though mate? I heard it was 8V?
welshdude

28th Oct 04 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kev_corsa
o yes, welshdude is right, are you sure its 12V though mate? I heard it was 8V?

Could be, not 100% but its deff not 240V

Steve
Richie

29th Oct 04 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The new small PS2 requires 5.3a, 8.5vDC regulated power. There is no news of an official 12v adaptor yet, but it would be pretty easy.
Dom

29th Oct 04 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
The new small PS2 requires 5.3a, 8.5vDC regulated power. There is no news of an official 12v adaptor yet, but it would be pretty easy.

you can buy DC regulator ciggy supplies already - so it would be a matter of ripping it apart and wiring it directly to the car power supply instead of using the ciggy lighter etc
Richie

30th Oct 04 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye but you dont see many with an 8.5v increment do you, and the chance of it putting out 5.3a is VERY slim, most ive seen from a car adaptor is 2a
Dom

30th Oct 04 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
aye but you dont see many with an 8.5v increment do you, and the chance of it putting out 5.3a is VERY slim, most ive seen from a car adaptor is 2a

had a quick butchers on maplins and they do a 3.7a cheapy jobby and they then do a decent notebook jobby which offers 5-6a output However, im sure with abit of looking you can find something - but at worst, grab a few books on power supplies and build yourself one, wouldnt be too hard
kev_corsa

30th Oct 04 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmmmmmmmm, i could design and produce one, ill have to look into it
Richie

30th Oct 04 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5-6a output would be classed as overcurrent. The PS2 could develop no end of problems if it didnt get spot on the power it was asking for.
Dom

30th Oct 04 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
5-6a output would be classed as overcurrent. The PS2 could develop no end of problems if it didnt get spot on the power it was asking for.

tbh, i doubt it would do any damage was so ever...plus it would save someone building one as there isnt a 12v power supply unit for these yet And considering, the 5-6a is the limit draw, that alone wont cause damage.
and if a PStwo owner was really bothered about getting it down to mA and mV then he would build his own regulated power supply unit.

eitherway, like i said, you probably could get something closer to the 5.3a and 8.5volts needed, it just means more googling - however, as i will never own a PStwo, i didnt do a mad search for a PSU unit, i only did a quick browse on some electronic websites and i gave a list of a few already made products that would be perfectly suitable.

[Edited on 30-10-2004 by VisibleMan]
Richie

30th Oct 04 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i havent even bothered looking just telling you the score thats all. Ive chipped so many of these consoles and i know what can cause the damage. There was an aftermarket power supply installed in one machine and it was sending about 200ma more to the drive controller board, and the console was bolloxed. You've got to be really careful with the new machines as there is very very little internal regulation and i very much doubt it will allow room for play.

Stop arguing with me cos u know im right, im not disputing the fact that someone or some company will make an adaptor tho!
c14nhl

31st Oct 04 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Must say sounds complicated like!
I thought I could just get some kind of adaptor to go in the fag lighter and thats it?
Aw well, might have to put the plans on hold then!
Thanks
CJ Blackburn
kev_corsa

31st Oct 04 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i havent even bothered looking just telling you the score thats all. Ive chipped so many of these consoles and i know what can cause the damage. There was an aftermarket power supply installed in one machine and it was sending about 200ma more to the drive controller board, and the console was bolloxed. You've got to be really careful with the new machines as there is very very little internal regulation and i very much doubt it will allow room for play.

Stop arguing with me cos u know im right, im not disputing the fact that someone or some company will make an adaptor tho!

Richie, actually, the way I'm reading this, I think you are wrong. You could have a 2000A supply if you wanted, but if the PS2 only required 5.3A, it would only draw 5.3A. Its the voltage you have to be carefull with.

Look at it this way, say a car battery can deliver 200A. If you connect a device across it which only draws 500mA of current (like a neon or something), it would only take the 500mA not 200A
steve1219

31st Oct 04 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Richie, actually, the way I'm reading this, I think you are wrong. You could have a 2000A supply if you wanted, but if the PS2 only required 5.3A, it would only draw 5.3A. Its the voltage you have to be carefull with.

Look at it this way, say a car battery can deliver 200A. If you connect a device across it which only draws 500mA of current (like a neon or something), it would only take the 500mA not 200A

Damit ! one of the few posts I could answer and beaten by a smart arse

But have to agree with Kev on this one.
Carb_Fanatic

31st Oct 04 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hes right ya know! lol

the Amp rating is the units DRAW on the power supply, amps are a measure of current, not power.

so the voltage would need to be set up so it gets the 8.5 or whatever.
if your building one yourself might be worth building in a over draw system before the caps used.
Dom

31st Oct 04 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by steve1219
quote:
quote:

Damit ! one of the few posts I could answer and beaten by a smart arse

But have to agree with Kev on this one.

yup this was what i was getting at in my previous posts
only thing that could cause problems is if something started to cause the the PStwo to draw more current - but then again wacking a 6A fuse inline will sort it

as for the 8.5 volts, i believe apply notebooks use something like that, so you could maybe bodge a apple notebook car adaptor but im only guessing, so might be worth hunting down some tech info on them
Richie

31st Oct 04 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kev, ive seen a ps2 and the power supply was giving more than the console needed, yet the parts were still drawing more than they needed.

Hence why i believe they are capable of drawing more if its there. I may be wrong, i may be right, but im only saying what ive seen.
Dom

31st Oct 04 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
kev, ive seen a ps2 and the power supply was giving more than the console needed, yet the parts were still drawing more than they needed.

Hence why i believe they are capable of drawing more if its there. I may be wrong, i may be right, but im only saying what ive seen.

in which case something fudged up (probably the power supply shorting or a component going tits) causing the extra current draw

however, ive yet been able to hunt a product down. The apple adaptors dont work
kev_corsa

31st Oct 04 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, the parts would definatly not try to draw more current than they need, if they did, they would be classed as faulty.

If they were drawing too much current which the power supply could not deliver, the voltage on the power supply would start to get dragged down. Therefore, the parts wouldnt get the voltage they would require to operate anyway.

Trust me
Dom

31st Oct 04 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Nope, the parts would definatly not try to draw more current than they need, if they did, they would be classed as faulty.

If they were drawing too much current which the power supply could not deliver, the voltage on the power supply would start to get dragged down. Therefore, the parts wouldnt get the voltage they would require to operate anyway.

Trust me

yea, i was getting at faulty components and obviously the psu unit was supplying the extra current, so the psu unit didnt have a fail safe system.

eitherway, been looking at designing one and the voltage isnt the problem (few smoothing caps, a LM7809 reg and a few load resistors to drag it down abit more), but im butchering a current limiter as i cant think of anything off the top of my head
Richie

1st Nov 04 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well you are probably right then, was most likely the drive controller board in my case, i never managed to fix it anyway
Dom

1st Nov 04 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
well you are probably right then, was most likely the drive controller board in my case, i never managed to fix it anyway

ner ner

but yea, im still working on the PSU - ive got it to 8.5-6v so far (its about 8.593v and goes up to about 8.61 something, but im using a regulated bench power supply for the 12v feed, but it should be alright in a car) using a 9v req. But i havnt got a current fail safe system in, apart from an inline 6A fuse and i havnt got a PStwo to test it on but im 70% sure that it will work and about 5% sure that it wont fry anything

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll