corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Putting a switch on AMP

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Putting a switch on AMP
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Sep 04 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it possible to put a switch on my amp cable as it keeps draining my battery, (runing permenant live of battery)

Would i be able to cut the power cable and put a switch on this so when not using it switch my amp off!

my terminal wire is connected to a fuse then to the permenant live as my head unit wouldn't power the amp for some reason

Just sick of going to the car in the morning and having to jump start or charge battery

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Richie

23rd Sep 04 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the REMOTE wire, fit a switch.
Dom

24th Sep 04 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely just wire the remote lead to your head units remote lead / automatic aerial connection
Richie

24th Sep 04 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
my terminal wire is connected to a fuse then to the permenant live as my head unit wouldn't power the amp for some reason

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

24th Sep 04 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers.... Richie

Just wired a switch onto this now and works fine

now somewhere for the switch to go hmmmm hehe ash tray me thinks

cheers

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
oztek astra

24th Sep 04 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i had the same problem richie, headunit would power my kenwood 750 but not my directed 2400d. weird? does ne1 no why this is?
Richie

24th Sep 04 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you try to power more than one amp it may have problems depending on the remote lead. Either that or you headunits remote was already using too much of its mA current to power an electric aerial/aerial booster ect. Its a pisser on some corsa's

Easiest way to get around it for more than one amp is to use a 5a or 10a relay and connect the remote trigger and a permanent live to it, but im going technical now
boyracer2002

24th Sep 04 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i put a big battery key on mine put it on the main live wire running into the amps works well cant be arsed sending the amp back so did this
Dom

25th Sep 04 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
quote:

well use a relay then doesnt take a genius to work that one out and saves having to flick a switch, plus its future proof if you want to install other amps
Richie

26th Sep 04 at 01:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But what if the remote output had blown altogether on the headunit? What trigger could you use? You wouldnt have one, so that may be his only option.

Whats the point of telling him to wire his remote trigger to a relay ect when you dont know if its going to work due to a naff remote trigger, when you know a switch will defo work anyway?

Dom

26th Sep 04 at 01:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
But what if the remote output had blown altogether on the headunit? What trigger could you use? You wouldnt have one, so that may be his only option.

Whats the point of telling him to wire his remote trigger to a relay ect when you dont know if its going to work due to a naff remote trigger, when you know a switch will defo work anyway?

thats why DVMs were invented a quick check, buzzing it out with ground and it will tell you whether it works or not plus if it is fubar'd then he should get it replaced on warranty (if its newish / within warranty times etc).
Plus i was thinking of "smoothness" operation, rathing than having to flick a switch etc etc
Richie

26th Sep 04 at 01:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt fall within the lines of his question tho

Best way to get smoothness of operation? Is to wire the remote trigger directly to the ignition live instead, works exactly the same in most aspects. Id rather do that than send my unit off and be without it for a few weeks

now ssh i am king round ere
broster
Premium Member

26th Sep 04 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i wired up an amp to my mates shit old head unit for fun, we used an ignition live to power it up so it only came on when ignition was on..
oztek astra

26th Sep 04 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive done this but directed say not to do it, but the shop i bought the amp from said to do it. but now the amps gotta go back as ive had a slight smoking coming from the amp. oops! owell il jus have to see if they can fix it! lol so b4 anyone does this read your manual 1st!
Richie

26th Sep 04 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The smoking may not even be due to the remote.

Some amps dont want anymore than 500mA, there a few things involved but most people are ok
Dom

26th Sep 04 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
doesnt fall within the lines of his question tho

Best way to get smoothness of operation? Is to wire the remote trigger directly to the ignition live instead, works exactly the same in most aspects. Id rather do that than send my unit off and be without it for a few weeks

now ssh i am king round ere

good point lad bout igniton, never thought ouf that

as for the smoking amp, aye it could be anything, although it might be worth check connections (shorts etc) to see if it isnt anything to do with the wiring
oztek astra

26th Sep 04 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had the back off the amp and there connections running down both sides of the amp and half of them are all black and burnt. when it started smoking all i did was turn the remote lead on, didnt even have any music playing. ive had this setup like this for a couple of weeks running fine. owell il jus have to see what they say, wether they can fix it or not?
Richie

28th Sep 04 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks like an ongoing fault thats got worse and gone pop

Looks like PCB track burning, i had a quote for my Vibe VP4 and it was £190!!! It was well and truley crispy. Got a new amp instead.
oztek corsa

29th Sep 04 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spoke to the shop and they said its under a years warrenty so send it bk to them n theyll either fix it or replace it. whats the reason for it doing this? is it something ive done or is it a faulty amp?

New Poll