corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Wiring a simple switch for my LED light show - Updated!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wiring a simple switch for my LED light show - Updated!
Mav 3000

User status: Offline
7th Apr 03 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

I have now included two pictures of my LED's all wired up and ready to go. I have tested the circuit on my mum's corsa battery and all works fine.

LED Wiring:

The drivers side has a flick-switch in the dor pcoket which you can just about make out in this picture below. Below it is a red LED to illuminate the door pocket inside.

Closer Look:

Just can't wait to see it working now!

BTW The sound proofing was done with left-overs from doing the metal of the door (outer metal that is).

The conectorblocks are there to allow easy connection/disconnection from the wires in the door itself such as earth cable and live if I ever wish to take the pocket off again in the future.

------------

Just bought a dead simple switch from Maplins for my LED set up. I am now gonna switch them so I can turn them off if I get sick of them.

the switch is a chrome flick switch with twwo terminals coming out of the bottom of it. One in the middle and on on the right hand side. the left hand side is empty.

I am uessing that a live goes onto the middle terminal and another wire goes from the right hand side terminal to continue the live on - past the switch which opens and closes the circuit.

Right?

Thanks for any help.

[Edited on 11-04-2003 by Mav 3000]

[Edited on 11-04-2003 by Mav 3000]
jm960326

7th Apr 03 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shouldnt really mater which way you wire it as it just interupts the power source in line. Play with a test circuit. Try it and see you wont damage it!

rob
Mav 3000

7th Apr 03 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks!
Mav 3000

7th Apr 03 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's my idea for wiring up my LED's with a switch.

The switch will be hidden in the drivers door pocket and will control the LED's
in both the drivers and passenger door.

A live feed wil be taken from the electric window live wire.
From here it will go through the switch, where it will branch off into four wires.

One wire will go to a 12v RED LED.
One Wire will go to a resistor, then to a BLUE LED
Then another wire will go to a resistor, then to the other BLUE LED.

The other wire will run all the way through the car to the other door.

Once there the wire is split up (again) into three and supplies power to the passenger LED's.

All LED's are then earthed. the individual earth wires join up into one per door and are
then earthed into an existing earth wire or the car door metal.

the LED's are colour coded in the diagram. Black wires are lives, purple wires are earths,
and green blobs are resistors.

Is there anything wrong with this idea? Excuse the diagram - I didn't spend ages on it

Comments/Advice welcome!
jm960326

7th Apr 03 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks fine to me!
Mav 3000

7th Apr 03 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks again! So long as it isn't too 'busy' around that switch where 4 wires splice off.

Just gotta remember to ask the guy doing my internal wiring t thread the extra wire through
DJ_Voodoo

8th Apr 03 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats fine mav! LED's take such little current there wont be any strain on that switch!
Mav 3000

8th Apr 03 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers DJ - all my artwork was worth the effort then
DJ_Voodoo

8th Apr 03 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah. whats happenin with ure EW now? it done
Mav 3000

8th Apr 03 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got somebody to get me an electric mirror switch from a scrappy, and he's sent it to me for free! Vauxhall wanted £38+ so I'm chuffed about that (finally some good news!)

Anyway, the guy who said he'd to the electrics said he will come out and quote when I have the switch so if it's competitive he can do the work there and then (still think he's optimistic) so now ive got the switch I'm gonna get him to come out and hopefully wire it all up.

Not putting mirrors on unitl I've finished uni and am out of this street (constantly being knocked) but windows waiting. I've sprayed up my switch holders while I wait for switch to arrive.

Going home from uni thursday (dissertation commitments) and will hopefully have it sorted v.soon.

can't wait!

God thats a long answer isn't it!
Mav 3000

8th Apr 03 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTW I'll just ask him to thread that live through my ccar for me while he's doing all the rest etc.

In 2 minds about uprated speaker cable AS WELL while he's at it (money wise on cable).

I was gonna buy UV LED's for 'that' idea but there like £2.99 each Maybe in the future.

Got the switch though as I thought I may get annoyed with them - maybe - and want to turn them off. Gonna hide it in my door pcoket.
DJ_Voodoo

8th Apr 03 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gud idea. ill let you know if i fint the UV's for "that idea" any chepaer than that. if i do ill buy some extra for ya. i can just post em to ya then or sumthin
Mav 3000

9th Apr 03 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That sounds great. Let us know how your projects are going too

When I finish this I'll take a few pictures. Should be in the next few days/weeks.
DJ_Voodoo

9th Apr 03 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah. ill take some pics and stuff. aint done much yet, been chaos here :/ will start soon though
Mav 3000

10th Apr 03 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it ok to have some of the stem of the LED touching the plastic of my door pocket? I have clips for 1 of them but as I need t angle two, I need t bend the stems to give me the correct angle. Then I was thinking of securing the stem to the door pocket with electrical tape.
Mav 3000

10th Apr 03 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, the resistors I have have lines around them - red and black ones.

One one end there is one red line and on the other are two red lines. Can still use them any way around?
jm960326

10th Apr 03 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the resistor colour lines are just so they can be identified for the size they are, ie ohms values. You can use them either way round doesnt mater!
Mav 3000

10th Apr 03 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

News update!:

I have wired up the LED's for my drivers door andhave tested it on a Corsa C's battery and it all works fine. Red is nice the the blue is a nice solid colour. I've got to wait for my elctric windows before I can fit it in my car so am just doing the wiring for my door pockets.

Am doing the passenger side tomorrow night.

When it's in I'll post pictures.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice!
DJ_Voodoo

10th Apr 03 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no problems! replying to ure thing about the bare conductors of the LEDs, you should cover the wires/metal coming from the back of the LED's so that they dont touch each other. just puting a pice of insulation/electrical tape will do the job. just u dunt want them to touch cuz you'll probably end up damaging something be it the resistor or the LED
Mav 3000

11th Apr 03 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've wrapped then up nice and tidily. Got bored last night. When I secure my switch and my red LED I'll take a picture and post it up.

Going to do passenger side soon, and an in process of getting my car boooked for the EW and EM's - finally!
DJ_Voodoo

11th Apr 03 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i seen some of them UV LED's in Maplins for "that idea" of ours. aint sure how expensive they are though. im not gunna touch n e thing like that in my doors for now n e more, well, not until i retrim them and spray the plastic bits black n e way. then put some blue ones in there. Im thinking of cutting out the speaker grill all together so the speakers are on show. just gotta make sure ppl dunt put theyre grubby hands in there and damage them thats all

fletch did tell me where to get sum material, but its pretty expensive, so im either gunna have to shop round, or just save up
Mav 3000

11th Apr 03 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got an email back from Cobra yesterday saying that there material is £39 a metre. I'd need about 3 metres to do my 4 door cards I think - and I was hoping to do the parcel shelf as well.

Corbrau (?) material is even more I think.

I'm currently worried two blue LED's isn't enough, but we'll see.

Just gotta solder up the passenger wiring now - then wait for my EW's.
DJ_Voodoo

11th Apr 03 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id think you need more than two LED's, but youll soon find out, and it aint exactly hard to add more! whats cobra's e-mail addy? ill try them for material cuz thats a lot cheaper than the company he told me about
Mav 3000

11th Apr 03 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't remember their exact address but if you go to 'Cobraseats.com' and click on 'accessories' you can read about thier re-trim service, then click on 'contact us' for the email address.

Hope this helps.
Mav 3000

11th Apr 03 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TTT

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll