corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Broadband help needed! PC PEOPLE!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Broadband help needed! PC PEOPLE!
mestonian

User status: Offline
22nd Apr 04 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have just had broadband installed this morning by NTL, its a cable modem they have brought. They left a cd with me to install the software, simple step by step thing. Anyways did everything it said and at end of software it said ERROR AUTHENTICATING DETAILS.

Phoned customer support and they told me to just enter an IP into my explorer bar, tried that and got the CANNOT FIND SERVER message. Ive tried updating my ethernet card drivers, updating the chipset drivers, rebooting, turning off, turning on, waiting, re-installing broadband software, etc etc and NOTHING is working.

At the moment the connection has been on for 15 minutes and has SENT 479 packets and RECEIVED 245 packets, where as my modem as been on 6 minutes and has SENT 205,000 packets and RECEIVED 1,100,000

What could it be?
stuyw

22nd Apr 04 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its could be that NTL tech support is wank. Ring them up again n dont get fobbed off
drunkenfool

22nd Apr 04 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is you computer set up to obtain DNS server details automatically?
mestonian

22nd Apr 04 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes it is, u mean automatically detect DNS settings?
Rob R

22nd Apr 04 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has your broadband connection been activated at the exchange? you have to wait sometimes before it becomes activated
mestonian

22nd Apr 04 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well your meant to activate it yourself using the cable modem, but if the modem wont connect cos it aint activated wot the hell u meant to do? Basically it asks u to connect to internet USING the cable modem (i.e make sure its on) and enter a pin code, but when u enter the pin code theres just hardly any bytes of info going through the modem, so u just get a CANNOT FIND SERVER message.
Rob R

22nd Apr 04 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ring them up and make sure that you're connected to the local exchange.
If your not then you want be able to make a connection
If they say you are then ask them why you cant get on!
mestonian

22nd Apr 04 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they keep saying its my computers settings etc, but i cant see wot it could be!!
stuyw

22nd Apr 04 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its ur PC settings, then they should at least do some troubleshooting with u to make sure it is. Give them a bell n ask them to go through it with u. If u rung us, then this is wot we would do
Dom

22nd Apr 04 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go over to www.nthellworld.co.uk mate and do a post on the forums loads of NTL techs over there and it should be nice and easy.

Also, you shouldnt have to install the software they give you on the cd they say you do, but if your connecting via Ethernet and NOT usb then its just a simple case of switching everything on and making sure under network properties that its to obtain a IP and DNS automatically If your using USB, just browse the cd for the USB drivers, then it sets it up to look as if its a Ethernet link (but via USB). So you can unistall their supplied software shite, its not needed

Also, the modem doesnt need any exchanges or anything. Its activated via the MAC address of the modem which is done on a computer at NTLs end. Once they've done that then your sorted. Also, if its your first time, then you need to register your account details...otherwise you will not have access to the internet and only NTLs local network (shows you a page about registering).

Failing all of that give NTL tech support a ring

hope this helps mate,
Dom
Tim
Site Administrator

22nd Apr 04 at 14:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem solved I hope now...

New Poll