corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.5 TD boost problem

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.5 TD boost problem
Bonzai

User status: Offline
   20th Feb 04 at 01:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

increased the fueling and boost on my TD tonight, noticable improvements but that bloody release valve cuts out my turbo pressure when im flooring it unless i feed the accelerator

im hoping to go on a rolling road day with my club on saturday but theres no point if i cant floor the car cos it wont work.

so far i think my options are, find a nut of same diamater and weld a steel plate onto it and replace the valve, or what im likely to do is get some liquid metal and fill up the current valve.

what do you think guys?

Cheers, Ben
Bonzai

20th Feb 04 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bttt, someone must ave something to say?
Kris TD

20th Feb 04 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

replied to your u2u. DONT remove it unless you have intercooler fitted, you can say good buy to the head gasket otherwise.
Bonzai

20th Feb 04 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for advise. ill have to turn the fuelling down to reduce the boost then correct?
Kris TD

20th Feb 04 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, close up the bleed valve. how much you turn the fuelling up in the end? think mine is only turned up a little way, i spent hours fiddling with the fuel and boost settings until i got it right, not much smoke and good performance.
MikeH

20th Feb 04 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you take it appart and try and fit a stronger spring on the valve?
Kris TD

20th Feb 04 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MikeH
Can you take it appart and try and fit a stronger spring on the valve?

that would defeat the point in having it though, its there to stop you blowing your engine up, at that much boost without an intercooler its gonna start cooking things. mine pops open at 1 bar which is still bloody high boost pressures with no intercoolers
Bonzai

20th Feb 04 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the fuelling is set so it idles at about 1050/1100 rpm,

at first it was idling about 1250, i took i for a run and i didnt notice it opening until i floored it in 5th and hit 80 before it started pissin about

now it will start opening between 3 and 4000 rpm in 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th unless i am really easy accelerating which of course makes my acceleration shit

my car now wont do more than 90 on a flat straight and a ton down hill.
Kris TD

20th Feb 04 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine used to do that. just turn the boost down a little at a time until it stps doing it.

also turn your idle speed down, it should be about 850-900 rpm
Bonzai

20th Feb 04 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not sure what the bleed valve is set at now, i didnt plumb the boost gauge in because i didnt have anything to connect the hoses back up with. i didnt see what exactly it was that was adjusted to control idle speed but hopefully my mate will remember
Kris TD

20th Feb 04 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your probably trying to run about 15 psi i would imagine from wat you told me.

idle speed is adjusted by a screw on the side of the fuel pump. infact there is two screws, one for cold and one for warm.
Bonzai

20th Feb 04 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so ill just have to tweak both boost and fuelling till i find a ratio that doesnt pop the valve off then
Bonzai

20th Feb 04 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

teh guy that done it for me said last night that i could buy ablanking plate from a plumbrs to fit and thats what i should do. he has done this on several TDs, he also told me of one that was running 3 bar, thats silly boost i know. THe block is strong it cant be that easy to blow things up?
Kris TD

20th Feb 04 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, the head gasket will go though. you can buy a plug from a plumbers, but i do not recommend running higher boost until you have an intercooler fitted. fucking hell at 3 bar it must do about 1mpg.
James R

20th Feb 04 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a clip of a F350 with a Cummins diesel engine running 90psi, does a 11.42 1/4
Bonzai

20th Feb 04 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah he said eventually the guy cracked the head on it but it was an awesome laugh! he reckoned it was pushin over 300 lb/ft! spinnin in 4th with ease how much would it cost to slap an intercooler in? presumably id have to get custome pipework too. get a cheap intercooler from a scrappie or ebay etc hang int infornt of the rad??

dont wanna spend to muchh on my car im tryin to save for somethin lse but i know this car has potential and im trying to release it!
Bonzai

20th Feb 04 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the guy who done everythin last night reckons it wont do any damage running boost over 1 bar but it wont gain anythin becos of the losses due to heat (i.e. no intercooler)
burt16v

20th Feb 04 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well mateys i learnt the hard way 4 yrs ago when my boost got turned up, it cracked the head and broke a valve guide which went doen into the turbo and bust all my exhaust and turbo seals!!!not a pretty site oil and white smoke everywhere£1000 to fix.
would have been bettre gettin an engine from scrappie but sure......
i later found out that yes i should have got an intercooler.
one out of a toyota camry is ideal.
but fcuk they go when turned up i used to beat 16 sports which was fun just dont go too mad with the boost

burt
Bonzai

20th Feb 04 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuk it its done now. the valve is full of chemical metal it shouldnt open now. i will leave it like this for the dyno. i dont think the pressure is that much anyway my car certainly does not feel that much quicker, definately wuldnt beat 1.4's let alone 1.6's. Ill look at reducing the pressure when i have the ability to plug in a boost gauge
Kris TD

20th Feb 04 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not that much quicker ?????

really, mine made shit loads of difference, get that fuelling turned up more.
Bonzai

20th Feb 04 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im serious. tho i never timed 0-60 before id guess its not much quicker than how it was. fuelling is high already like i said it idles about 1100. i can pull off without having to give it any juice! will see what the dyno reads tomoro although im not confident the rollers are accurate (a mates mg-zr 1.4 pulled 120bhp). im sure i can feel more torque tho

i have time records that i did with my mobile phone for things like 40 to 70 in 4th etc i shall see if i can compare them but they would not be accurate at all

[Edited on 20-02-2004 by Bonzai]
M4rk P

20th Feb 04 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well mine (its kris ) defo made a huge difference, not just a small one, well as the rolling road prved it gained 32 bhp, and it feels like it too, pulls like a train now.
Bonzai

20th Feb 04 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id be happy if i hit 75 tomoro to behonest i dont think its made that much difference but then again i havent really screwed the nads off it since its been done. i might take a quick spin tonight hopefully the chem,ical metal will have dried and stop the valve opening so should be a continuous speed increse
Kris TD

20th Feb 04 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok i just turned my boost up a tad more, its on the brink of valve popping. hmm, lovely
Kris TD

20th Feb 04 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you give the guy who did it the guide to follow that i put in tutorial section? i bet he didnt remvoe the polo from the fuel pump.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll