corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Computer help...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Computer help...
TOMAS

User status: Offline
21st Jan 04 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi recently my computer has been telling me its low on 'virtual memory'? what is this and how do I fix it/free some up? Recently my computer has been running quite slow also doing strange things like when I double click on desktop icons i.e internet explorer & my Kazza folder, nothing happens - the egg timer appears for a couple of seconds then nothing? I think these could all be related? - Im running Windows XP.

Really I should do that thing where it goes back to when I last saved everything which was right back at the start when I had installed everything I needed and set up my internet connection etc, this would clear all the crap off. Cheers for any info
John_C

21st Jan 04 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go to control panel, system, advance, performance settings, advance, virtual memory, change, give it 250mb or sumthing

computer needs virtual memory if it hasn't enough ram to process everything
TOMAS

21st Jan 04 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers it had something like 380 with a possible 780. I upped it to 500. Why has this only just started happening then? It said something about it uses it when their isnt enough RAM, why would I suddenly not have enough RAM?

I was looking at my system processes in Task Manager the other day and their are some pretty BIG ones! Like ATRACK.EXE and svchost.exe.
Someone said you can spot hackers/trojans by looking at this, how do I know whats supposed to be there and whats not? Anyhow thanks for the help
drunkenfool

21st Jan 04 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.pcpitstop.com

Im pretty sure the sytem test on that site will show you all software running, and identifies all the ones that it knows.
Siberia

21st Jan 04 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

virtual memory is were it takes some of your HD and uses it as ram

i'd say if your getting messages like that though could be time for a format

windows is really dumb when it gets confused (which is quite alot) and it starts giving out irronious(spelling) fault displays
Dan B

21st Jan 04 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From memory, the suggestion is that you set your virtual memory to use 1.5 - 3.0 times the amount of RAM you have in your machine...

So mine, with 1Gb (1024Mb) of RAM has 1536Mb - 3072Mb in the VM preferences......seems to run quite nicely.

New Poll