corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FAO people with motorcycles

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO people with motorcycles
yzf-r6 (stella Man)

User status: Offline
15th Jan 04 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainCook
I learnt to ride on a VFR 400, if your serious about getting a bike dont waste your time and money with a 125, Ok on paper they are quite quick but you will soon get bored of it.
this is the best way, i did the same, had my vfr400 for 2 years from the age of 17 then have had me r6 for nearly 3 years now!
el gordo

15th Jan 04 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All depends how serious you are.

My recommended route would be to do your CBT and see how you get on with that first.

If you did okay then pay for a 1 week intensive course and book your Direct Access so you have an incentive to pass 1st time. Total cost about £500 including fees.

Otherwise just do the first test and be restricted to 33bhp for 2 years (you can buy a fireblade if you want so long as you restrict it if you don't do your direct access).

Bikes. For 1k you can get an old shitter. For 1500 you can get a new shitter. For 2k you can get a proper tasty bit of kit.

For example, a 4 year old Honda Hornet (600cc mega-handling fun city and country-lane bike, 0-60 in 3.8, top speed 145) will cost you a shade under 2k and as a 21yr old with no NCD etc probably about £800 to insure (comp) if I give you my broker's number (He's a god, trust me - did me with 9 points and 1 years NCD on a VFR800 in the worst bit of nottingham for just £900 when it should have been £1900).

I can't be arsed to type more but I'll be happy to answer any more queries you got - having been riding almost daily for nearly 7 years now (and a young rider to boot) on proper big bikes (passed my tests before the 1997 restriction regs ).
el gordo

15th Jan 04 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh aye - if you wanna spend a few quid more you could have a mint RVF400 (the vfr 400 riders will tell you it's like theirs but tickled with a magic stick by god) for not much more than a vfr...

upside-down gold nitrade forks anyone?
Paul_J

15th Jan 04 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OJC I was merely commenting on the looks of the cagiva mito as the plus side, and despite your comment many other 'RS and Mito Owners' who own both the bikes, say there's nothing between them.

Only reason I said go for a 125 is because you can ride it on L's for ease i.e. if you just wanted to learn to ride.
el gordo

15th Jan 04 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah.. little 2 strokes. unbelievably fast for the capacity but rev at silly numbers and have a habit of blowing up on a regular basis (and they drink oil).

maybe a 4-stroke 250 would be more suitable to get used to weight-wise if you'll be progressing onto inline 4's.
like a CB250 (NOT the super-dream!).

for good advice try www.visordown.com but ignore the goading early on, the clique give the newbs a bit of stick for a laugh but sometake it the wrong way...
Keeley

15th Jan 04 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by el gordo
oh aye - if you wanna spend a few quid more you could have a mint RVF400 (the vfr 400 riders will tell you it's like theirs but tickled with a magic stick by god) for not much more than a vfr...

upside-down gold nitrade forks anyone?

wat reg rvf400?
el gordo

15th Jan 04 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

L reg I think but about 2.5k on the clocks...

I think www.motografix.co.uk have it now...
Keeley

15th Jan 04 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont have a licence to ride a motorbike but absolutely love them and love being a passenger on them
el gordo

16th Jan 04 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine is big and throbs and tastes a bit salty if you lick it

but then it is winter and the whole bike is caked in it

R Lee

16th Jan 04 at 04:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, been readin al the posts you peepshave put up.

dont know what to do again basically.
options are:

i know i want to hop onto a big bike eventually, but i have no experience whatsoever on a motorbike. so start on which one?

Richard
el gordo

16th Jan 04 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it really is too subjective to just say...

there's 2-strokes and 4-strokes, twins, in-line 4's, v-fours all with completely different engine characteristics that affect the way the frame performs.

for sheer outright top speed and accelleration from passing your 1st test you want something like a 250cc 2-stroker (known as a stroker) but they can be temperemental and people expect to have to replace the engine every couple of years if not ridden like a complete pussy. Bear in mind this bike is so light and so fast I've seen them on track-days in fast groups passing R1'setc - but only the twisty places like Rockingham (National lay-out) and Cadwell (full circuit). Get them somewhere with high speeds and the power of the 1000cc superbikes gives them enough on the straight to get away.

that will be your best bet if you'll luikely be riding on crotch-rockets all your biking life. Insurance will be a killer though and you can guarantee a used bike will not just have been ridden hard, but mega-abused so new is the only real safe option.

If you want something that'll still do about 105mph and accellerate not much slower than a 600cc in-line 4 then a 4-stroke 250 will do you fine, particularly the Hornet (www.hondahornet.co.uk have a few 250 riders and I know someone there is selling a rather nice example!). It keeps up with the 600's on ride-outs, until we're up at 110mph+.

Then you can look at the little jap import v-twins like the baby firestorm at 250cc. This will be so underpowered it's unreal though. Twins need to be bigger than their in-line or v-4 counterparts to put any decent bhp out though cc-for-cc they have more torque.

125's - only bother if you're going for a stroker, or the new CBR125 (brand new model). For what they cost though you'd be as well on a stroker 250. In particular the Aprilia RS250 and the Honda NSR250 are renowned performers with GP heritage.
Tom

16th Jan 04 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's those sachs xtr's aswell the under seat cans look kewl for a 125 RS125 is alot better handling than a mito about 3 of my mates have had each and all agree rs is better...
kevster

16th Jan 04 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok matey.
Do your cbt
Do your full bike test
Getyourself a 400 - something like a gsxr 400, you may have to get an import, but get down to your local bike shop & see what they have in.
Should pick a good example up around the 3k mark.
The beaty of a 400 is that you can get very good insurance quotes & believe me they pack a f**king good punch when it comes to power. I wouldnt really bother with a 125, not worth the hassle to be honest.
You will touching 0 - 60 in 4 seconds or less on a 400
Get a couple of insurance quotes today, on the basis that you are fully qualified!
Ojc

16th Jan 04 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best first bike is RS125, you won't find a better handling bike.

You ask the big bike riders what bike would be the best around a track and I think you'll find all of them will say the Aprilia RS250.
el gordo

16th Jan 04 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you sure kev???

avery single 400 I ever got quote on was twice the price of a 600 cos of the cost of parts seeing as they're import-only...

nearly all of my biking mates have had the same problem.

economically speaking you may as well get a 600.

unless it's a v-4 of course like a VFR or RVF 400.

if you're SERIOUS about getting some bike quotes, don't ring around the big firms. Ring this bunch:
John M House - 01708 458 133

As for best handling bike - few will say the small strokers are best. they have minimal engine braking and can be hard to pick back up out of the corners cos they lack the gyroscopic urgency of a bigger bike. There's a reason only the very talented riders on track days use them (and equally why they do so well).

You'll find most say the super-sport 600's in the way of R6 and CBR600rr are classed as the best handling bikes for most people.

It's widely accepted the new fireblade will shatter all ideas of what handling is about though... the power of 1000cc supersports *about 180bhp) in a chassis the weight of a 250. that'll be goooood....
el gordo

17th Jan 04 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.syclone.freeserve.co.uk/rivals.htm
Keeley

17th Jan 04 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It's widely accepted the new fireblade will shatter all ideas of what handling is about though... the power of 1000cc supersports *about 180bhp) in a chassis the weight of a 250. that'll be goooood....

Thought that the new Kawasaki 1000 (zr i think) is going to be an even better bike than the new fireblade but hey im only quoting what was in last weeks MCN
Daimo B

17th Jan 04 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robtj
i am 19 got a aprilia rs125 had it de-reged and it does 132mph confermed by a R6 rider.. 0-60 is ment to be below 4 secs and trust me they are pocket rockets, i am selling mine soon 8k miles i am just doing a compleate 1 off faring make over atm and get it respraying in a official aprilia racing colours

Your saying your 125cc is 4 mph slower than the RS250, one of the greatest twin cylinder road machines ever sold?

Ojc

17th Jan 04 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes this is what I thought also.
el gordo

17th Jan 04 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Miss CorsaSri
quote:

Thought that the new Kawasaki 1000 (zr i think) is going to be an even better bike than the new fireblade but hey im only quoting what was in last weeks MCN

mcn are notorious yes-men to yamaha and kawasaki and is known as "more crap and nonesence" to bikers, lol.

no doubt it'll be hot... however... one derived from the motogp honda, all conquering, the other from the motogp kawasaki which sounds the mutts going past but is usually lapped by half the field
el gordo

17th Jan 04 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
quote:
Originally posted by robtj
i am 19 got a aprilia rs125 had it de-reged and it does 132mph confermed by a R6 rider.. 0-60 is ment to be below 4 secs and trust me they are pocket rockets, i am selling mine soon 8k miles i am just doing a compleate 1 off faring make over atm and get it respraying in a official aprilia racing colours

Your saying your 125cc is 4 mph slower than the RS250, one of the greatest twin cylinder road machines ever sold?

take it with a pinch of salt...

the 250 can do these top speeds and the 0-60 a bit slower (see that url i just posted a few higher up) but the 125? nope. not even in race trim.

ffs, motogp 125's only do 125ish at catalunya with sorted gearing, race spec, godlike riders and slipstreaming each other.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FAO people with motorcycles 22 database queries in 0.1013000 seconds