corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Video of my car doing 0-98mph (Speedo)

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Video of my car doing 0-98mph (Speedo)
Gambit

User status: Offline
20th Nov 03 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
thats wot i meant. maybe i should have used the work "tempt", than entice

But at the same time, i dont wanna sound like a dodgy "boy racer" kev

Matt

how about just saying, "fancy helping me out with a little experiment"
MattyB

20th Nov 03 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sxi boy
quote:
quote:
i have been in steven's car and can confirm that yesh it is nippy

and PMSL @ matt, no really, i can feel moisture in by bell-end

you would in no way at all ever be able to touch steve's gti

I've never been out in a 106 GTi. I base my opinions from the video that Steve has put on the site for people to view, and from what i here bout these cars on PGAC.

Have you ever been out in my car? Or even a tuned 306 D Turbo for that matter? No u havent mate, so how u can judge the performance of my car i dont know. I think it may just be a case of "jumping on the bandwagon", like everyone else in this thread who has a pre-defined view of Diesels.

As i have said, untill i get to race a 106 GTi on the motorway from a rollin start @ 60mph, i'd love to see one "rocket" away from me. Or "rape me". or put me in a situation where i cannot even "touch" the 106.

Matt

jumping on the bandwagon

steves car is lighter, and more powerful, ive been in it, it is very fast for what it is

i have no doubt in my mind that it would brush aside a 'tuned' 306 diesel

Steves car is lighter and has more power. Wow - ur real clever mate.

However, if you had a braincell, you would know that a car needs Torque as well as power.

It is clearly seen from the video provided, that the torque drops off substantially around 70mph, as the rate off acceleration is very poor here, considering this is a 140bhp lightweight 3 door.

A GOOD POINT TO MAKE RIGHT NOW:

Take Steves 140bhp 106 Vs 140 bhp Corsa 2.0 16v (stripped down to exact weight of GTi + detuned to match bhp of 106)

Above 60, the corsa WOULD STORM that 106. And why???

SIMPLY coz of the torque. At the end of the day, there IS NO replacement for displacement.

If steve tuned that engine to 160bhp, its torque would still be stupidly low. Where as the 2.0 had 140 odd lb/torque as standard, which MAKES A MASSIVE difference. It makes a difference because the torque (turning force of the engine), means that the 2.0 can pull its way right thru 4th and 5th gears piss easy, where as the little screaming 1.6 struggles (WHICH IS VERY VISABLE FROM THE VID)

Matt

right so going by your argument you'd beat me cause you have more torque PGTF now

CAN U NOT READ???????

The whole point above is how 2 cars, both of the SAME weight and SAME bhp, but one running a 2.0 instead of 1.6. The 50lb/torque difference will be very noticeable, especially over 60mph.

My arguement DOES NOT include cars that are heavier, and not once did i say this. That was the whole point of the above comment

Not only is a punto GT a hell of a lot lighter than a 306, but it also runs a better gear box with better ratios, and has a far longer power band, so why would u even suggest i meant that???

In no way am i sayin that torque is the be all and end all, its just you replying to posts without even reading them

Matt
MattyB

20th Nov 03 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
if you had a brain cell you'd surely realise that your car wouldnt be able to touch steve's

Never raced a 106 GTi 60-100, as i said before. Untill that day, my braincells wont know any different.
MattyB

20th Nov 03 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
you're making the point about steve's lack of displacement well consider this, im running a 1.8 16v clio yes, now as it stands (chipped, sealed i/k, de-cat, full magnex, rolling on 17s) i have no doubt that steve would be slightly quicker than me and my car does not struggle

How much power/torque does your car produce?

Have you ever raced Steve's Car

How much does your car weigh?

You run 17"s, Steve is on std 14"s.

Matt
MattyB

20th Nov 03 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon L
MattyB> My VTR has around 119bhp and 114lb/ft of torque, and i beat a 306 DTS @ Crail by a huge distance, and it wasnt gaining on me at any point. I roughly ran a 16 flat, and he was in the 18/19's i think, some were in the 20's.

I'd be interested to see your RR graph.

Sorry i am not familier with Crail - i guess it is a 1/4 mile strip?

Power is vital for acceleration, which is why your modified with 120bhp will storm to 60 odd a hell of a lot quicker than a D Turbo, which is low on power (for its size), and there for its 0-60 is not that impressive.

Was the DTS tuned? If so, how much bhp/torque is it running? If u dont know either of these, then ur point is useless.

A standard DTS runs 92 bhp, and the turbo doesnt boost up till 3k revs, which is very poor. The fact that beat one in a light little NA saxo with 120bhp is hardly impressive, and no one would dispute the facts u have put forward.

At a guess, i would run bout 16.5->17s 1/4, and the fact that you too would beat me up the strip is a very good forcast. I do not dispute this, and have not done so in the entire thread.

However, what i would like to do, is sit at 50mph side by side on the motorway with a car such as yours, and see what the difference is when we both launch. I feel u may be very suprize, as i can pull 50-70 in 5s.

Please also note, that up the strip, the D Turbo driver has to battle with gear changes more often that you, and gear changes also take longer due to the derv box's set up.

Matt

[Edited on 20-11-2003 by MattyB]
MattyB

20th Nov 03 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit
quote:
thats wot i meant. maybe i should have used the work "tempt", than entice

But at the same time, i dont wanna sound like a dodgy "boy racer" kev

Matt

how about just saying, "fancy helping me out with a little experiment"

could well do :thumbs
Dr Pepper

20th Nov 03 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vibrio
Banned

20th Nov 03 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

CAN U NOT READ???????

The whole point above is how 2 cars, both of the SAME weight and SAME bhp, but one running a 2.0 instead of 1.6. The 50lb/torque difference will be very noticeable, especially over 60mph.

My arguement DOES NOT include cars that are heavier, and not once did i say this. That was the whole point of the above comment

Not only is a punto GT a hell of a lot lighter than a 306, but it also runs a better gear box with better ratios, and has a far longer power band, so why would u even suggest i meant that???

In no way am i sayin that torque is the be all and end all, its just you replying to posts without even reading them

Matt

just face facts while your 306 is faster than a standard one it is slower than a 106 GTi
vibrio
Banned

20th Nov 03 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Simon L
MattyB> My VTR has around 119bhp and 114lb/ft of torque, and i beat a 306 DTS @ Crail by a huge distance, and it wasnt gaining on me at any point. I roughly ran a 16 flat, and he was in the 18/19's i think, some were in the 20's.

I'd be interested to see your RR graph.

Sorry i am not familier with Crail - i guess it is a 1/4 mile strip?

Power is vital for acceleration, which is why your modified with 120bhp will storm to 60 odd a hell of a lot quicker than a D Turbo, which is low on power (for its size), and there for its 0-60 is not that impressive.

Was the DTS tuned? If so, how much bhp/torque is it running? If u dont know either of these, then ur point is useless.

A standard DTS runs 92 bhp, and the turbo doesnt boost up till 3k revs, which is very poor. The fact that beat one in a light little NA saxo with 120bhp is hardly impressive, and no one would dispute the facts u have put forward.

At a guess, i would run bout 16.5->17s 1/4, and the fact that you too would beat me up the strip is a very good forcast. I do not dispute this, and have not done so in the entire thread.

However, what i would like to do, is sit at 50mph side by side on the motorway with a car such as yours, and see what the difference is when we both launch. I feel u may be very suprize, as i can pull 50-70 in 5s.

Please also note, that up the strip, the D Turbo driver has to battle with gear changes more often that you, and gear changes also take longer due to the derv box's set up.

Matt

[Edited on 20-11-2003 by MattyB]

I have to say that if you have a race you don;t just floor it in 5th. my car out performs a lot of cars 50-70mph in top gear however if I was racing I would drop it to 3rd no just sit in 5th
Kev_Clio_172

20th Nov 03 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mattyb...........stfu. u dont know anything mate really do u. if steve came up against you in a race he would wipe ya ass. as for 2.0 vrs 1.6....haha...u talk crap.
but if u want a 2.0 vrs 2.0 ill hammer u in a one on one....306 vrs clio 172?....
vibrio
Banned

20th Nov 03 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mk1 or mk2 clio. mk2 clio 172 are not that quick on the move
Kev_Clio_172

20th Nov 03 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry and what motor do u have to comment with....mate there is no difference in the speed of mk1 and mk2 on the move...lol i have had many races with mk1's....no difference.
Kev_Clio_172

20th Nov 03 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

omfg sorry i just saw...haha punto gt....silver one in my area...so slow with a turbo the size of a golf ball...lol slow

[Edited on 20-11-2003 by Kev_Clio_172]
Gambit

20th Nov 03 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nothing like jumpin in two-footed
vibrio
Banned

20th Nov 03 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kev_Clio_172
sorry and what motor do u have to comment with....mate there is no difference in the speed of mk1 and mk2 on the move...lol i have had many races with mk1's....no difference.

just winding you up mk2 is slightly slower than the mk1 cause is has a heavier kerb weight thats all
vibrio
Banned

20th Nov 03 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kev_Clio_172
omfg sorry i just saw...haha punto gt....silver one in my area...so slow with a turbo the size of a golf ball...lol slow

[Edited on 20-11-2003 by Kev_Clio_172]

small engine small turbo thats all. no point having a bit turbo and a small engine. not going to be able to produce the boost till higher up the rev range. as for slow yeah slower than a 172 off the mark but onthe move I'd take my chances

p.s mine ain't slow. produces more torque and has a better PWR:ratio than yours.

[Edited on 20-11-2003 by vibrio]
ljames555

20th Nov 03 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can sum 1 tell me y video doesnt work says it cant find right decompresser
Kev_Clio_172

20th Nov 03 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmmm ill love to see ya on the tracks..... 1/4 mile and around a circuit ill hammer u all the way mate. puntos are well known for shit handling throughout the range. says it all.....100bhp at wheels... nice figure and its only powerful at that rev range coz thats where the turbo come in....read the graph
sxi boy

20th Nov 03 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
you're making the point about steve's lack of displacement well consider this, im running a 1.8 16v clio yes, now as it stands (chipped, sealed i/k, de-cat, full magnex, rolling on 17s) i have no doubt that steve would be slightly quicker than me and my car does not struggle

How much power/torque does your car produce?

Have you ever raced Steve's Car

How much does your car weigh?

You run 17"s, Steve is on std 14"s.

Matt

i havent raced steve's car, but ive raced many saxo vts and came out on top in str8 line

my car weighs 980kgs, std torque is 120 lb ft, i would expect me to be running over 130lb ft torque now

torque is ur low down pull, i.e. what helps you get off the line, bhp is your top end power that helps you pull towards the end of your gears

so you are running more torque than steve yes, but he has a lightweight car so he will accelerate off the line a lot quicker, and steve has more bhp than you so he will continue to accelerate quicker than you all the way up the range.

end of the day, you'd struggle against a vtr let alone a gti
Marc

20th Nov 03 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill race your 172 if you want
sxi boy

20th Nov 03 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i am yet to race a 172, a few ppl on cliosport.et with clio16v's say its quite close
jay@ffwd

20th Nov 03 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any scooby will race a 172 and win, not really a great race have a Evo here at work that would be interested..
sxi boy

20th Nov 03 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wot do u drive jay??
Marc

20th Nov 03 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jay@ffwd
Any scooby will race a 172 and win, not really a great race have a Evo here at work that would be interested..

if the Evos standard yes if not i fear he will rape me!
jay@ffwd

20th Nov 03 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

16v- nah had mucho mods done lol

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Video of my car doing 0-98mph (Speedo) 22 database queries in 0.2031970 seconds