corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa B 1.0 Build Up X16XE - Coilovers fitted and Billing pics

New Poll
  <<  110    111    112    113    114    115    116  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa B 1.0 Build Up X16XE - Coilovers fitted and Billing pics
BeetleGav

User status: Offline
1st Apr 12 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vx-scottw
dont talk dirty gav

mattievRS

1st Apr 12 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you checked the crank sensor and the keyway/woodruff key on the bottom crank pulley? They can become worn and dont like being on and off and re tightened. If its slipped or enlarged it can throw the fuelling and sparking out and cause running issues.
shaunmods
Premium Member

2nd Apr 12 at 13:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol Don't tempt me Gav. My old 1.0 was bomb proof Great little engines

Matt the crank sensor seems fine mate. I've not had it off at all either.

I've just got off the phone with Newman Cams and they were pretty useless to be honest. I told them all the symptoms I'm getting and told them exactly how the cams were set up but all they could tell me was to take it to a tuning company and let them sort it. The chap couldnt give me any advice about how to time them up at all and didn't seem particulary interested.

So I think ive got two options now -

1: Take the cams back out and fit my standard ones to get it back on the road

2: Buy a set of Dbilas Vernier's, get them dialed in and have my unichip fitted so it can be remapped

Option 2 is going to be bloody expensive though! It would transform the car performance wise but im sick of having the car just sat there now and just want it back out so I can start enjoying it again. I could always refit the cams at a later date?

I don't know what to do

[Edited on 02-04-2012 by shaunmods]
FAZ
Premium Member

2nd Apr 12 at 14:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

opt 1

then 2 later on / xmas
FAZ
Premium Member

2nd Apr 12 at 14:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gives you time to save then, and get it bk on the road
jrneedo

2nd Apr 12 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agree with faz mate.

get it on the road an enjoy it while summers still here!
DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

2nd Apr 12 at 15:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm it a toughy dude.

Such a shame to take them back out and re fit standard ones but if your wanting to get on road asap like I do,you might aswell do the first option.

Like Niel said,you can then save up for more bits that you'll know that'll fix it and still enjoy drivin it daily and upcoming shows/meets.

Giz a ring inabit and we'll have a manly chat.

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread
Oli_p

2nd Apr 12 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get the verniers and remap, you'll be doing it at somepoint anyway, get it set up properly and really enjoy it. friend of mine has a cammed 106, yet i see him lose to almost standard 106's as it hasnt been fully setup correctly
vx-scottw
Premium Member

2nd Apr 12 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it was me i would put the old ones back in and save up for some beter ones
shaunmods
Premium Member

2nd Apr 12 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for your input everyone I've decided the cams are coming out. Im gutted that im having to do it but it seems like the best option. They WILL be going back in though at some point At least this gives me some more time to save up the money needed as Faz says and I can try and get some more info between now and then on how I can get it running properly.

I'll be starting stripping it down on wednesday hopefully
jrdn7

2nd Apr 12 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods
lol Don't tempt me Gav. My old 1.0 was bomb proof Great little engines

Matt the crank sensor seems fine mate. I've not had it off at all either.

I've just got off the phone with Newman Cams and they were pretty useless to be honest. I told them all the symptoms I'm getting and told them exactly how the cams were set up but all they could tell me was to take it to a tuning company and let them sort it. The chap couldnt give me any advice about how to time them up at all and didn't seem particulary interested.

So I think ive got three options now -

1: Take the cams back out and fit my standard ones to get it back on the road

2: Buy a set of Dbilas Vernier's, get them dialed in and have my unichip fitted so it can be remapped

3: Give the car to jrdn7 as a very nice birthday present

Option 2 is going to be bloody expensive though! It would transform the car performance wise but im sick of having the car just sat there now and just want it back out so I can start enjoying it again. I could always refit the cams at a later date?

I don't know what to do

[Edited on 02-04-2012 by shaunmods]

How's about option 3 Shaun?
shaunmods
Premium Member

2nd Apr 12 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it starts playing me up after I've swapped the cams over you might be in luck
jrdn7

2nd Apr 12 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My birthday is May 24 so you've plenty of time to balls up the cams again! Erm, I mean best of luck with it lad!
Dan H

2nd Apr 12 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like bottom pulley timing is out slightly.. i had same problem on mmy c16xe, the bottom pulley bolt fell out and spent around 3hrs getting it lined up perfectly because the woodruf (sp) key had snapped off the end of the crank where the pulley sits in, if it was half a mm out it wouldnt idle right and was cutting out and idling dodgey after about 20/30 seconds, finally got it lined up properly and ran fine.

hope you get it sorted out soon though, been watching this thread since you started it and absolutly love it!
NathanR

2nd Apr 12 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get it back on the road dude and enjoy it for the summer and save some more towards it . Put the cams in over next winter when its off the road , knowing you , you will have even more goodies to put on it by then too .
shaunmods
Premium Member

2nd Apr 12 at 22:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan H
sounds like bottom pulley timing is out slightly.. i had same problem on mmy c16xe, the bottom pulley bolt fell out and spent around 3hrs getting it lined up perfectly because the woodruf (sp) key had snapped off the end of the crank where the pulley sits in, if it was half a mm out it wouldnt idle right and was cutting out and idling dodgey after about 20/30 seconds, finally got it lined up properly and ran fine.

hope you get it sorted out soon though, been watching this thread since you started it and absolutly love it!

Cheers for that Dan It was the bottom pulley I was having problems timing up now that you mention it! The bottom pulley kept moving advancing by one tooth when tensioning. It took me about 15 goes to get it to perfect but the problem is still there I will double check the timing though before I take the belt off just incase. I'll report back!

Cheers Nath mate and Jrdn lol
jrdn7

2nd Apr 12 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm, I might just have to steal it then! When does your insurance run out Shaun? haha
djgritt
Premium Member

2nd Apr 12 at 22:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Option 1 definitely

Also will prove whether the replacement Cams were the issue or not...
Dan H

2nd Apr 12 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Cheers for that Dan It was the bottom pulley I was having problems timing up now that you mention it! The bottom pulley kept moving advancing by one tooth when tensioning. It took me about 15 goes to get it to perfect but the problem is still there I will double check the timing though before I take the belt off just incase. I'll report back!

Yeah i was reading up on it and wasnt too sure if i should mention it as you said you and your dad had already checked it, i think there is a little mark on the crank part where the belt goes around, might take some time to get it lined up perfectly, mine kept slipping a tiny little bit when i was tightening it up and when i was starting up, so thats the only reason it took so long hope it works for you bud
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

3rd Apr 12 at 07:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Option 1 like everyone has said so you can save to make it more awesome

Best of luck Shaun!!!

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
LukesCorsaSXi

3rd Apr 12 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Option 1 deffo. Get it back on the road mate for MK!
mattievRS

3rd Apr 12 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Cheers Nath mate and Jrdn lol

is that not what i put in my post earlier?
shaunmods
Premium Member

4th Apr 12 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry Mattie I completely misunderstood what you and Dan were trying to tell me Just googled it and I see what you're talking about now This could well be the problem actually as when I fitted the aux belt I noticed the belt had slipped right over on the tensioner! I mentioned to my dad about the bottom pulley maybe not being on right or something but we didnt really think about it!

I'm not going to be able to check it until saturday now but if this turns out to be the route of the problems I will be one happy chappy

Cheers for your help chaps. I'll let you know how I get on!

[Edited on 04-04-2012 by shaunmods]
mattievRS

4th Apr 12 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No probs, i hope it the problem really so at least you can get it back on the road! Good luck!
shaunmods
Premium Member

6th Apr 12 at 14:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update

So I took off the bottom pulley yesterday to check the woodruff key and there was no sign of any damage to it. I also doubled checked the timing while the pulley was off and it was still perfect. So today me and my dad cleaned up the plugs again and refitted everything. We fired it up without the aux belt on and we found that it would actually idle! It was spot on when the revs were higher but as before when the revs drop as the engine gets warm it started to go funny again. But without the aux belt on adding extra load it would actually idle...just!

Me and my dad are convinced now that mapping would cure it. If the idle was tuned so that it ticked over a bit higher it would be 100% better

I did a quick video of it warmed up off my phone. I did try to do a proper one on my camera from cold start but the battery run out just after we started it up Its gives you an idea though

Please excuse the tapping. The new lifters still need to bed it properly as they've done 0 miles. You can hear at the very start of the video my dad holds the revs just slightly higher than tick over and its so much better!

We have decided to still take the cams out for the time being though. PVS is getting closer and closer now and its just going to be a mad panic trying to get the car sorted. Plus im just about to start my uni exams so I need to concentrate on them rather than this. The plan is to take it off the road again next winter and refit the cams then and get it all setup correctly ready for next year

[Edited on 06-04-2012 by shaunmods]

<<  110    111    112    113    114    115    116  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa B 1.0 Build Up X16XE - Coilovers fitted and Billing pics 24 database queries in 2.5519938 seconds