corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » had top-end rebuild

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author had top-end rebuild
Trigger

User status: Offline
6th Sep 03 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had my top end rebuilt due to oil consumption on my gsi (94) had new gasket stem seals followers got to go back in 2 weeks have have head re torqed up but its still using oil could it be piston rings if so would it smoke all the time or just at high revs, also could the rings be changed just by taking the head of or do the piston have to come out just its pis@ing me off always having to worry about oil level after its meant to have been fixed when they could have changed them with the head off or could it be loosing oil cos its still bedding in and will stop when it is re tourqed.
Jamog

6th Sep 03 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Piston rings is an engine out job for easyness, According to the haynes manual anyway so you'll need a rebuild kit I'd assume
Trigger

6th Sep 03 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would it smoke all the time or at high revs
Trigger

6th Sep 03 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would a compression test tell me if pistons ring have gone considering everything else is ok i.e gaskets seals etc
Gary GSi

6th Sep 03 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Happened to my GSi mate. I had a full rebuild top and bottom end. You will need it boring out and new oversize pistons if its anything like mine. It will cost you about another £800 to sort properly.
Juha GSi

6th Sep 03 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my gsi is just in the same operation, cause was oil consumption. its been 5 weeks now under construction.the engine was all fucked up. pistonrings,bearings everything... its been driven 180thousand km.pistonrings can be fried. compression test will tell, if there is leak or not wheter its valves or pistonrings, let the guys decide that on the garage...
Trigger

6th Sep 03 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gsi's ive never known a car to keep coming up with so many problems its only done 65 thousand miles cant wait to get rid
Juha GSi

6th Sep 03 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

trigger know the feeling... had new brakes in every corner*now ebc*, the whole suspension*weitec* and centre pipe*ss supersprint* the mantzel box in germany waiting it to come and the latest is the whole engine rebuild... mine is -93.

all this in this summer.

Trigger

6th Sep 03 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got it back 2 weeks ago thought yeah drives nice have not gone over 3500 rpm as running it in. got 2 weeks left till i can put my foot down but last week checked oil its drunk 1 litre of oil and im not even remotely stressing engine with loads or speed at the moment im trying to put it down to bedding in but knowing its a gsi i bet its something else like rings
Juha GSi

6th Sep 03 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like gary said could need new pistons ect... if its been driven like a nut. might need the whole new rebuild, from the beginning.

not trying to scare you or anything,telling just the truth.

hope not.
hopper

6th Sep 03 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had same trouble with my gsi. i took the head off to overhall the head and found the piston rings had that much play in um but on a compression test it showed up fine. the garge that did it for u should of checked the rings for play, all you do is put each piston the tdc and try for free play.

New Poll