corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » High Engine Revs...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author High Engine Revs...
Paul_J

User status: Offline
   2nd Jul 03 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey, I was driving along today and wondered about something...

I know revving the car to the redline isn't good for it, but what about before you get to the red... I get a red bar on my rev counter from 6000-7000 RPM. Does that mean at say 5500 RPM the cars fine? or will this also be doing damage to the engine?

I ask this, because the sxi's are only nippy when thrashed. The power kicks in at 3.5k RPM and so most of the time driving it - the revs are high. I'm just curious what sort of damage is being done, or whether its actually safe to take the car to 6000 RPM in every gear (not that I'm going to).

Thanks,

Paul J
BeArDy

2nd Jul 03 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a rev limiter is set so u do not damage the engine
BeArDy

2nd Jul 03 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a 1.6 16v can rev to about 8-9k or somthing like that with a few uprated things, so 5.5 isent that bad
Gary GSi

2nd Jul 03 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as you get it serviced when it needs and put good quality oil in it will be fine running at up to 6000rpm. if you chip it and increase the rev limit it is a good idea to get an oil cooler put on just to stop it getting too hot.
Red_SXi

2nd Jul 03 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the limiter is there so you don't damage anything, i always get close to the limiter in mine
miles

2nd Jul 03 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Taking it to the limiter is fine as long as you look after it and change the oil alot.

Personally I think to change the oil and filter at least every 5/6k.

Becareful with oil oilers as over cooled oil can be more of a problem than undercooled oil.
THE SRI KID

3rd Jul 03 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

simple higher u rev your engine the quicker it while wear out
miles

3rd Jul 03 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not neccesarily.

An engine that is never taken above 2k wont last 3 times longer than one that is constantly taken to 6k.
Red_SXi

3rd Jul 03 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its good to give the engine variable revs, take it to the redline sometimes, but keep it to 2,000 at others. I think an engine that is never revved high is probably also under-revved up hills etc
Cybermonkey

3rd Jul 03 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sometimes manage to hit 7k rpm in my sport. It really kicks up a fuss on gear changes when doing this, but a nice healthy kick in the head makes sure that you dont do it too often
Wolf In Welsh Clothing

3rd Jul 03 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bounce off my redline nearly every day!
Had the car for over 18months and have covered over 20,000 miles with no problems!
Had the rev limit raised to 7300rpm with the only strenghenning mod being ARP rod bolts and am regulary bouncing off the limmiter in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th (at 115mph).
Had the rev limit raised for a few months and my engine aint gone bang!
Make sure you leave your car to warm up though and change oil every 6000miles, oil + filter every 12,000miles and cambelt/tensioners well before 40,000 miles.
newboy

3rd Jul 03 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i redline my car every day probably goin down my drive and wen im driving. iv done 40000miles this year no probs
TOMAS

3rd Jul 03 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People need to learn to keep off the limiters, If im right my 1.2 peaks before even getting near the limiter, about 800RMP away I think so their's not much point going past that? I agree that you do really have to rev the 1.2 16's to get them going but Ive done it since factory and ive just hit 30K in mine. To be honest I wouldnt expect it to last past 60K though and I think the gearbox will go first...
miles

3rd Jul 03 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Torque kills gearbox's not power. So it will be damaged more doing standing starts than by hitting the limiter. Although obviously rev's work it harder.
Red_SXi

3rd Jul 03 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The peak BHP is 5,650 RPM in my 1.2 Corsa C Sxi. I often rev it to 6,600RPM which is where the limiter kicks in. Its strange how since i reset my ECU after fitting BFO cone and Exhaust backbox that the limiter has gone from 6,500 to 6,650. I dont think revving it high is bad as long as its reached running temperature, also under revving is what is BAD for the engine.
Gambit

3rd Jul 03 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think under reving is more bad for the gearbox & driveshafts as it puts more strain on them

keepinlow revs also allows coke to build up on the engine inners quicker
Paul_J

3rd Jul 03 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never take my car over 6000 RPM just no point, can feel the power dropping off...

but have been recently taking it to 5900-6000 before gear change just so that the next gear falls v.much in the power

Paul J
digitalbanana

3rd Jul 03 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think my 1.0l 12v has a limiter...what happens when it is limited? does the rev needle stand still?

mine has gone off the clock a few times!
MikeH

3rd Jul 03 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 1.2 16v seems to be peaking at just over 5,500 rpm so i never bother going higher.

miles

3rd Jul 03 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hits the limiter and bounces off. Stops the engine from reving further. I think you will have one.
digitalbanana

3rd Jul 03 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well...i dunno...cos i can rev it all around the clock! stats at 0 RPm and revs all the way to where 10000 could be...i.e. right past the end redline at 7000...does not bounce...and i prolly could keep it ther...but dont wanna for obvious reasons.

New Poll