corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » FAO: anyone with 17's and 2l 16v brakes

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO: anyone with 17's and 2l 16v brakes
vauxtillidie

User status: Offline
26th May 03 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i posted up a few weeks ago after i fitted my astra gte brakes to my 1.2 8v corsa and they didnt seem to be veyr good. a mate of mine bleeded them again for me today and there was absolutely no air in the system ad we changed the fluid too. ive heard ppl say they can lock there wheels up even in the dry with these brakes but i cant even do it in the wet! is this cus i have 17's? not that i wanna lock it up but it seems there not workin as well as they shud be. its also been sed that my master cylinder cud be nackered and/or need a bigger servo, i thought they were all the same on the corsa's is this rite or can i fit one from a different car? also i cant see ne way of adjustin the pedal on the corsa like u can on the nova i dunno wot to do. i drove a tottally standard 1.2 8v corsa today and the brakes seemed loads better than mine so somethin must be wrong

any help much appreciated

Chris
Kris TD

26th May 03 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

must be the calipers are nackered, i can lock up 17's on smaller brakes than them.
AdamF
Premium Member

26th May 03 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you change pads to? did you have to push caliper piston back while it was connected to the brake lines cos if you do it to fast it can turn the seal inside master cylinder inside out.

my 16v brakes are wicked by the way with 1.2 servo etc so should be same
vauxtillidie

26th May 03 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah i didnt push caliper piston bak cus i knew about it turnin seals inside out. i dunno wot to do now then, how wud i know if calipers r nackered without just buyin some new ones?
AdamF
Premium Member

26th May 03 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do the sliders move? tey pushing the piston back slowly see if it acctually moves on both calipers
vauxtillidie

26th May 03 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not sure bout that but they have been painted, will that matter?
AdamF
Premium Member

26th May 03 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no. try above first mate
animality-gt

26th May 03 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check for leaks in the lines,
does the pedal travel its usual distance?
my only advice is to take it appart and refit to make sure its not just a fault of puttin it together
vauxtillidie

26th May 03 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

r the pistons supposed to move fairly easy?
morty

26th May 03 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this may sound stupid but have you put them on upside down I know a lad who did this and they didn't work properly? Im not taking the piss either.
vauxtillidie

26th May 03 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very true they dont work upside down but ive got em on the rite way up, bleed nipple to the top
and-m

26th May 03 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hard to say, could be dodgy seals on the brakes or as said worn master cylinder seals or maybe an air leak.

How long have the pads been on there as they need time to bed in, theyll be crud at first.

[Edited on 26-05-2003 by and-m]
morty

26th May 03 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you renew the copper washers on the calipers if not then you could have a air leak on them?

Darren

New Poll