corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Insulating Interior Wall

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Insulating Interior Wall
Neo

User status: Offline
14th Jan 16 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So we bought a house last month, it's an old 1930's built art deco style house with solid walls so we are finding in one of the bedrooms the exterior wall is prone to having condensation on it. The previous owners had painted some latex'y paint on some lining paper which was just holding the water causing small damp spots and meant there was a constant smell of wall paper paste.

I think its only bad as its the only exterior wall in the room and considerably colder than the others. So I spent last Sunday stripping the paper, the paint on the top was horrific and made the job 50 times harder than it should have been. I've left it this week with a window open and there are no signs the plaster is damp so now i'm looking to tidy the wall up and insulate it to hopefully stop the issue. As its the box bedroom I think the other half has plans for it to become a nursery so want to make sure it's done right.

I've been told before I put anything on top to PVA the plaster (or to use a Ronseal Damp Seal) to help but skeptical as to whether its needed.

I've seen 2mm and 4mm thick polystyrene backed wallpaper which is meant to be reasonably good but I'm a little unsure as can't see how it'll do anything - http://www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/wallrock/insulating-lining-graphite-4mm/97025

Don't really want to stud the wall out as the room is only about 8x8

Any other ideas/things I should do or use ?
Gary
Premium Member

14th Jan 16 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get kingspan backed plasterboard.
Neo

14th Jan 16 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hadn't thought of that Gary. Seems to be quite expensive though ? http://www.condell-ltd.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=3905&gclid=CMf__d2TqcoCFcgYGwodMRMF6Q

Whilst I was looking I found this which has good reviews and is significantly cheaper -
http://www.diy.com/departments/jablite-premium-insulation-board-l1200mm-w450mm-t-25mm-pack-of-8/26830_BQ.prd

Have you had experience with the Kingspan stuff ? Is it worth just taking the hit and going for it ? With the jablite stuff I'd almost be tempted to do our guest bedroom aswell as its so cheap.
Gary
Premium Member

14th Jan 16 at 11:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've worked in houses that were don't with that stuff and they were incredibly warm. If i were to do up a house I'd use it.
pow
Premium Member

15th Jan 16 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kingspan is the daddies when it comes to insulatioN!

New Poll