corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Flat Renovation Project: Pretty much finished

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Flat Renovation Project: Pretty much finished
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Apr 14 at 08:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a tenant in this flat since we bought it so not got round to doing anything with it. No before pictures as I forgot to take any but it was old fashioned, shit and had the wankest electrics and plumbing that I've ever seen. Kitchen was badly fitted, doors hanging off and not actually fitting the units they were on so when he moved out on Saturday, we started gutting it on Sunday.

So far we've removed all of the crap (4 x trips to the tip just with old tenants possessions and broken fridges and washing machines); knocked the stud wall down which divided the living room and bedroom; ripped out the kitchen; doors; tiling; architrave and skirting; fireplace and flooring and dropped the two front ceilings etc.etc.

The plan is to:
- rebuild the partition wall with door opening moved.
- open up the main fireplace into an inglenook style with a new gas fire.
- rewire throughout.
- bit of plumbing and new radiators throughout.
- total replaster.
- new kitchen.
- new flooring.
- new skirting, doors and architrave.

Photos last night

[Edited on 04-09-2014 by RichR]
Marc

8th Apr 14 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks just living my living and dining rooms!
RichR
Premium Member

8th Apr 14 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its the ground floor of a Victorian end terraced town house; they're all fairly similar I guess.
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Apr 14 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished the gutting and now starting to go back together - really trying to be all ready for 18th May which will mean we've done the whole place in 6/7 weeks.

Opened up both fireplaces

RichR
Premium Member

22nd Apr 14 at 13:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty much finished the rewiring, just need to connect up to the new consumer unit and finish the kitchen wiring; also boarded out the main chimney opening and built the stud wall to partition off the bedroom and living room.

Gary
Premium Member

22nd Apr 14 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used enough screws in that board?
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Apr 14 at 15:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

belt and braces; the stud work is 6" too.
Gary
Premium Member

22nd Apr 14 at 15:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit ott isn't it? You bothered insulating it?
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Apr 14 at 15:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The girder above is 6" and I want the wall to be flat on both sides from floor to ceiling. The brick work sits back from the edge of the girder so I can dot/dab the upper boards and get a decent fixing along the bottom edge where the last bit of stud is still exposed.

Not insulating the wall as no real need with a door in it but I am using insulated board on the ceiling to stop the noise transmission to the upstairs flat.
Gary
Premium Member

22nd Apr 14 at 15:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough. Works looks good
baza31

2nd May 14 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have to fire board it with a flat been above ? I think if of re located the boiler if it was possible
RichR
Premium Member

2nd May 14 at 08:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really possible with the way the plumbing is laid out - the main gas in is directly below that boiler but the main meter splits to a sub meter in each flat and its all a bit of a mish-mash from when it was originally split. Boiler gets built into a cupboard there anyway, I'm just replacing the original poorly built unit with a newly built, cleaner looking cupboard.

Boards I've used for the ceilings are rated to 60minutes.

Finished the rewiring last night; need to do a bit of pipework tonight so I can chase the bedroom rad. pipework in; Saturday I need to box in some pipework; board the ceilings; board out the fireplace in the front bedroom and a few farty jobs and I'm about set to plaster from Sunday onwards.

RichR
Premium Member

6th May 14 at 10:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a busy weekend but feeling fucked now, glad to be back at work for a break!!

Rewiring and plumbing first fix all completed:

Friday Night:

Saturday night:

Sunday Night:

Plan this week:

- Plaster out kitchen
- Plaster out bathroom
- Paint bedroom.
- Bedroom laminate flooring.
- Bedroom Skirting and architrave.
- Bedroom second fix electrics and plumbing.

Chris x

6th May 14 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
Had a busy weekend but feeling fucked now, glad to be back at work for a break!!

I feel exactly the same!

Looks great! Wish I could plaster! Would of saved me thousands!
Marc

6th May 14 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what I have been saying these passed few weeks! Had a week off to work onthe house and was glad to get back to work!
RichR
Premium Member

6th May 14 at 11:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris x
quote:
Originally posted by RichR

I feel exactly the same!

Looks great! Wish I could plaster! Would of saved me thousands!

(one of) the best things I've ever done, actually find it very rewarding.
RichR
Premium Member

14th May 14 at 15:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Managed to get the bedroom floor laid last night; painting is finished and got all the switches and socket fascias fitted.

RichR
Premium Member

4th Sep 14 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All but finished, waiting on some furniture to turn up and need to mount the TV bracket and a mirror in the bedroom as well as have a good clean through - really pleased with how its turned out - tenants move in Saturday.

Chris x

4th Sep 14 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great!
RichR
Premium Member

4th Sep 14 at 16:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They just better take care of it now!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

4th Sep 14 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pipe work for that radiator is shocking!
Andrew

4th Sep 14 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
pipe work for that radiator is shocking!

Are you on your period again?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

4th Sep 14 at 20:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuck off
RichR
Premium Member

4th Sep 14 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I quite like it in real life, the copper looks good against the white and its mm perfect in terms of length, central against the rad. and level.

You're also probably mistaking me for someone who gives a fuck but ultimately, this flat rents at £75 a week, you have to draw the line somewhere. If that's all you can pick fault at then I'll take the unspoken as a compliment ;-)

New Poll