corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Whats best for insulating behind kitchen units?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Whats best for insulating behind kitchen units?
dannymccann

User status: Offline
15th Jan 09 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above really, theres a bloody icy breeze coming in from behind it and I want to put a stop to it. Putting loft foam in hasnt really done much, so im thinking expanding foam behind the units?

Only problem is its a rented place, LL doesnt seem too fussed about insulating anything, he said he will get round to it when he replaces the roof in 5 years time, which is no good for us now.....
J da Silva

15th Jan 09 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kingspan.
--DAN--

15th Jan 09 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
As above really, theres a bloody icy breeze coming in from behind it and I want to put a stop to it. Putting loft foam in hasnt really done much, so im thinking expanding foam behind the units?

Only problem is its a rented place, LL doesnt seem too fussed about insulating anything, he said he will get round to it when he replaces the roof in 5 years time, which is no good for us now.....

Where is the breeze actually coming from?
dannymccann

15th Jan 09 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well as far as I can tell its coming from where the roof meets the wall, as there is a hole (read gaping hole, its massive, see below) ive plugged above the boiler pipe and its windy as fuck in there with insulation foam. Everytime the wind blows all the doors swing in the rooms

That is stuffed full of foam to stop the wind coming in there. Its a single story bit on the back of the house

ash_corsa

15th Jan 09 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I take it that the boiler is in an airing cupboard or something?

Id either stuff it with Rokwool as its temporary and easily removed

Or if you get the ok from the landlord, a can of expanding foam should do it.
dannymccann

16th Jan 09 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah thats in the kitchen, ill get a pic of the outside to show the actual building when it gets a bit brighter
myke

16th Jan 09 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's a shocking job. is it a pitched roof on that part? if so it's ventilated and there shoudl be no gaps in the ceiling.

you ideally want to patch it up with plasterboard and skim over it to stop the smaller gaps.

If it's dry lined, you might also have air coming in from behind the wall boards under the lower units if you have them. Expanding foam would do that.
dannymccann

16th Jan 09 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes whoever fitted the boiler decided it would be a good idea to leave a hole like that Not even sure if the LL knows its there tbh. Im just going to get some pictures
dannymccann

16th Jan 09 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right pictures with descriptions of what im trying to show, sorry for any quality issues I used my phone for speed

Boiler is inside the cupboard with open door. Left hand side is next terrace, kitchen is open to elements on the right, as shown by window, note the bins

Walking PAST the bins to the right and turning round, this is the kitchen / bathroom (bathroom starts at red bricks, right side of back door)

Thats the window from pic number 1, giving you an idea of the kitchen and how it stands single story back of house

Back of property, right hand side is next door terrace

I have just spotted this, could it be a hole in the roof? could the wind get in here? Its right in the corner of the window from pic 1

The breeze comes in behind the tiled wall, whereby it gets in behind the cupboards on outside (and inside) walls?? Sugar bag is there to allow you to see size.

As you can see ive got no access to the space inbetween the ceilings and roof apart from the hole i posted earlier above the boiler.....

New Poll