corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Plumber advice- Oil boiler

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Plumber advice- Oil boiler
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Nov 15 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In a rented house, so I know I should just go talk to the landlord. I did that a while ago, he quickly referred me to his plumber and I've been dealing direct with him for several months now.

Basically, sometime over summer something happened with the boiler. We've got an electric shower, dishwasher, washing machine, etc so over summer the boiler wasn't really missed so I wasn't particularly urgent in getting it sorted.

Now though, it's fucking freezing

Problem was initially that the boiler would "lock out", red lit button would be on the front - so would push it, and within 30 secs or so it would lock out again.

Plumber came first time and "fixed" that, said the pressure was far too high due to a tap that had worn or something. Fixed all that, pressure down to 1bar from 3 (I think) and boiler fired up and stayed on.

Over the following few days though, it would start locking out after 8-10hours of being on.

Plumber has been back a few times, poked at it and scatched his head - but not sure what the issue is.

Symptoms now are:

- When first firing it up after a lockout it locks again within 30seconds guaranteed.
- Give it 30secs and then start it again, it'll fire up and stay on for most of a day. (Around 10 hours I'd say)
- Locks out after the 10 hours, getting me back to step 1.

We've been living with it by firing it up when we get in from work then giving the house an hour or so to warm up, but by the middle of the night it's bloody freezing again and it's terrible first thing on a morning.

It's a Trianco contractor apparently, fuel is oil from a tank in the back garden - gauge is showing 50% full.

Any ideas? I'm going to speak to Landlord again on saturday about me using a different plumber which I'm sure will be fine - but there are so many knobs, taps and gauges on the front of it - surely I can have a crack at just fixing it?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
richardworrall
Premium Member

24th Nov 15 at 20:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any use:
https://www.plumbase.co.uk/documents/index/10000436
Andrew

25th Nov 15 at 06:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've found plumbers are not interested in the small jobs - i.e give you a gas safety certificate or replace a part. They want to strip down your boiler or replace the whole system. It appears they can get that work as well.

One guy started screaming at me down the phone when i questioned him wanting to strip down a two year old boiler.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

25th Nov 15 at 11:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
I've found plumbers are not interested in the small jobs - i.e give you a gas safety certificate or replace a part. They want to strip down your boiler or replace the whole system. It appears they can get that work as well.

One guy started screaming at me down the phone when i questioned him wanting to strip down a two year old boiler.

I'm surprised more people don't shout down the phone at you.

Have you checked the pressure when it locks out? after the 30s and 10hrs?

New Poll