corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Whats the best NAS external set up without going overkill?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Whats the best NAS external set up without going overkill?
Whittie

User status: Offline
6th Dec 12 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As the title really, made a thread about 12 months ago, and ended up buying a Synology or Qnap box with 2 drives, can't remember what it cost, but ideally don't want to re-buy it (broke with water damage).

All I want is a few TB storage that's actually reliable. I can't bare any more external hd's as they're a load of shit. I'm using an iOmega atm, but its on its way out, plus only 1tb, it's full.

Wanting to get stuff ordered today so I can have a play and set it up for the weekend.

Even better if there's an iphone app or web access / downloads torrents directly to the storage.

It'll be on all day every day, in a cellar so nice and cool, and won't be heard.

What does everyone use?

Nismo

6th Dec 12 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This, put home server on it and you have 4 spare drive bays. (3 if you want to put a rom in it) really good bit of kit, we have been sticking them out on site, running really well.

http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-100-cashback-658553-421

Once you claim the cash back (get sent a cheque within 30 days) it will either be £119 or £83 ex vat.

Dom

6th Dec 12 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
This, put home server on it and you have 4 spare drive bays. (3 if you want to put a rom in it) really good bit of kit, we have been sticking them out on site, running really well.

http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-100-cashback-658553-421

Once you claim the cash back (get sent a cheque within 30 days) it will either be £119 or £83 ex vat.

http://www.hostdata.com.au/content/product_descriptions/27/2757/275706/hp_proliant_microserver_n36l_internals.jpg

If it's purely storage then FreeNas, or other *nix based storage OS's, would be better suited as it can be installed to a USB drive and can be mounted internally (use the onboard USB socket) leaving you with 4 bays for drives (or 5-6 if you use the 5.25 bay; plus there's space for a SSD which you could use for cache).

Although it's a lot of faffing around and a dedicated NAS box will be more efficient.

Whittie - Personally, Synology or QNap again - something like a DS212 etc. Although could you not claim for an insurance replacement?

Edit - If you do go down the HP micro route then there's a great big thread over on OCuk forums which i recommend reading.

[Edited on 06-12-2012 by Dom]
luciaadr

6th Dec 12 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought the microserver Nismo mentioned.

It can take 6 full size hard disks at a squeeze, so if you have a linux install on a memory stick (there's an internal port) you can use all drives for storage.

I've mine set up with unraid, which is well suited to media storage.

It downloads whatever I tell it to from my phone or home pc, as there are loads of android and iOS apps around.

Takes longer to set up than synology probably (never used one) but you end up with more usable disk space (using unraid) at a fraction of the price.
ed

6th Dec 12 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a Netgear ReadNas Duo - can't fault it for basic storage. Runs Linux on a Sparc processor so can't really do anything else apart from file serving. You can SSH into it and get it to do other things like run as a web server and you can add on a BitTorrent client too.
ed

6th Dec 12 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually, it comes with a BitTorrent client, but I installed a better one. Can also control it from the web if you have your router setup properly - I was using it to back websites up onto actually using WebDav.
Andrew

6th Dec 12 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.misco.co.uk/product/Q334016/Buffalo-LinkStation-Duo-6TB-2-Bay-NAS
noshua

7th Dec 12 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get the mother fucking Microserver. None of this NAS storage that has as much processing power as a frog.
pow
Premium Member

7th Dec 12 at 09:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want that Microserver but I have no fucking use for it
Dom

7th Dec 12 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Just get the mother fucking Microserver. None of this NAS storage that has as much processing power as a frog.

Microserver isn't exactly a power-house machine And there are plenty of better spec'd NAS boxes out there.

Only reason i'd go with a Microserver would be stick ESXi on it and run a few VMs (Freenas/UnRaid, few linux VMs for webserver/VPN etc). It's completely OTT for a pure storage box.

Whittie - Stick to a NAS box - it'll save you dicking about for hours settings it up, plus it'll be more energy efficient.

Edit - This is the thread on OCuk, lots of decent info so well worth the read if you're heading down the Microserver route - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18216324

[Edited on 07-12-2012 by Dom]
Aaron

7th Dec 12 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have ESXi installed on that N40 Microserver at present. Good kit for the price
Ian W

7th Dec 12 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I considered a microserver but in the end just went for a D-Link NAS as they where on offer.

The downside of the microserver was it was going to be another machine with an OS on which is what I wanted to get away from, wanted something as 'dumb' as possible for central storage and not much else.
Gary
Premium Member

7th Dec 12 at 13:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bart

10th Dec 12 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id still say Synology everytime, but Amazon have an offer for the smaller readynas at the moment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Gigabit-Desktop-Network-Storage/dp/B00620CM0I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355156217&sr=8-2

New Poll