corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » What do you lot use for External Storage... Films etc.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What do you lot use for External Storage... Films etc.
Whittie

User status: Offline
6th Jul 11 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need something reliable; but obviously don't need to go overkill and just have SSD's, it's too expensive for the little storage you get.

Whats the most reliable way of having say 2-4tb of storage? I'd prefer not to have 2 of everything (one backing the other up...!) All external hd's i've had have died after around 12 months, I think another one its on its way out too.

Ideally need it to have a usb2.0 slot, (I have two on my router) where it goes straight into my router, if not I could get a switch and stick it over ethernet.

The data on it goes down a gigabit network, to my tv or laptop etc...

Just want something that will work 24/7 and not fuck up after 12 months, fed up of stuff breaking.

So what do you lot work? How long has it worked for???

Thanks..!
Gary
Premium Member

6th Jul 11 at 22:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Network external hdd case, bin the cheap hdd, insert quality hdd. Job done.

I'm sure you have a fetish for external hdds.

Or go buy a decent flash drive like you were looking at ages ago.
Dom

6th Jul 11 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm assuming by reliability you mean storage device rather than the data? As single disk storage isn't a realible solution for data, ideally you need to at least be mirroring the drive. But look at QNap and Synology, never had problems with them although neither are cheap. Could also go down the FreeNas/unRaid route using something like a HP Microserver, currently considering this as performance seems to be extremely impressive and it's reasonbly cheap for what you're getting.
Whittie

6th Jul 11 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was looking at the Qnap stuff, pretty much top result in Google...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QNAP-4000GB-TS-210-Turbo-All-in-one-NAS-Server-iSCSI-/300561963435?pt=UK_Computing_HardDrives_RL&hash=item45fae399ab

How would something like that cope over time Dom, or havn't you had experience with them? Price doesn't seem too bad for what it is tbf, as long as it plugs into my network, appears on my popcorn hour box / tv and won't completely die after 12 months i'm happy

Is this what I need then...?
Whittie

6th Jul 11 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QNAP-TS-410-Turbo-All-in-one-NAS-Server-iSCSI-/120726276624?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item1c1bd8ca10

Looks better, but would be pretty costly once filled with hd's...
bensterzback

6th Jul 11 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I built my self a nas, very simple runs off a usb pen and has 2 x 1tb and 4 x 500 gb hard drives. A friend of mine did all the setting up worked great untill i started messing with it few months ago now its sat under the table lol.
It basically just sat under the stairs running constantly and was hard wired to my router... Would probably still be working if i didnt get bored n messed with it ... Simple amd chip n board few gig of ram and a case with a few hd slots and room for fans is all u need
Matty SRi

7th Jul 11 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont understand how hard drives give up on people, ive had a 120gb exernal hard drive for 3 years and it still works fine.
luciaadr

7th Jul 11 at 05:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
I'm assuming by reliability you mean storage device rather than the data? As single disk storage isn't a realible solution for data, ideally you need to at least be mirroring the drive. But look at QNap and Synology, never had problems with them although neither are cheap. Could also go down the FreeNas/unRaid route using something like a HP Microserver, currently considering this as performance seems to be extremely impressive and it's reasonbly cheap for what you're getting.

I'm just built one, good lord copying 4tb over 100mb ethernet takesa long time!

Whittie, they are from here Crescent electronics and you get £100 cash back, so £120 for a server is pretty decent. Then put as many hard disks in as you like. Then add software of choice (from free - to £££)

EDIT: Cant comment on reliability as its only been going a few days but the unRaid software looks pretty solid. Seem good for media becasue you only lose one hard disk to parity (restore) information and you can add drives easily.

Heres quite a good build thread here

[Edited on 07-07-2011 by luciaadr]
Sam
Premium Member

7th Jul 11 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a 500GB Buffalo LinkStation (you can get bigger sizes).

Only one HDD though, but it also acts as an iTunes and print server which is great, and has gigabit ethernet too.

You can also use an iPhone app with it to listen to your music from anywhere in the world as long as the NAS box is turned on and connected to the Internet, obviously.

Cost me around £60 from eBuyer IIRC, and uses fuck all electricity unlike my old behemoth of a Linux server.

New Poll