corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Xbox 360 Slim

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Xbox 360 Slim
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 11 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it looks like I will probably go for a 360 Slim 4GB. Someone on here (Brett?) said that you can upgrade the storage on it, but after a quick Google I think you can only add external storage - is that correct? When I was in Game the other day I'm sure the advert for it said that the 4GB was just flash storage - does this mean it hasn't got a proper HDD?

adiohead

3rd Mar 11 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get the 250gb model

or a ps3 if you wanna play blu-ray

[Edited on 03-03-2011 by adiohead]
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't justify spending another £100-£150 on a glorified BR player with games console built-in.
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just trust me, Sam

Yes, the 4GB is just classed as an internal memory unit, not a HDD as such. On the side of the console, you just open a flap and you can either slot in an official HDD with the proper case, or just slot in a SATA drive. It won't have the proper case, but you'll never know once you put the flap back. Hang on, I'll photo mine.
adiohead

3rd Mar 11 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I can't justify spending another £100-£150 on a glorified BR player with games console built-in.

I have all the consoles (apart from Sega Dreamcast) and they're all great. Ps3 has some amazing exclusives too.

Xbox is only good because most people buy them. Whereas I only have 2 friends on ps3
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 10:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, my camera was being gay so I just googled

There's a slot on them all on the side under a flap like this...

That official HDD has the casing on it so it slots in all nice and tight. But it's just a standard SATA connection in there, so you can literally just place your own HDD in over the slot. It won't be as secure, etc. but once you've got your xbox in place it usually stays put so shouldn't be an issue.
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one Brett, cheers mate.

I was trying to look around the one in Game but it was enclosed in a clear plastic bubble thing and they wouldn't take it out for me to have a look at it!
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 11:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How come you're so bothered about HDD space anyway, Sam? I took my HDD back out as I sold that along with my JTAG. I'm just running on the 4GB fine. Game saves are less than a MB generally and your profile will only be a few MB. There's the odd title update which wouldn't be that big. The only thing that fills it really is if you download demos (about 1GB each) or install the games, but I never bother with that. Oh, and I suppose map packs would use up space if you bought them, but they're only 500MBish.

[Edited on 03-03-2011 by loafofbrett]
adiohead

3rd Mar 11 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just a few downloadable content would fill up 4gb in a second
dan_m1les

3rd Mar 11 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My gamertag is around 6GB
3CorsaMeal

3rd Mar 11 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i downloaded BFBC2 to the harddrive and i can spawn in the game much faster than most people

Brett
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 11:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead

Must depend what you play I suppose, mine's not. Then again, IF I tried to put all my paid downloadable content on it then it probably wouldn't fit. However, as I stop playing games like the older CODs then I don't need it downloaded any more. The license is always retained on the MS servers so you can download it free again any time again in the future once paid for anyway.
quote:
Originally posted by dan_m1les

lol no it's not.

dan_m1les

3rd Mar 11 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
quote:
Originally posted by adiohead

Must depend what you play I suppose, mine's not.
quote:
Originally posted by dan_m1les

lol no it's not.

Yes it is...

I think

[Edited on 03-03-2011 by dan_m1les]
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're talking about the figure from when you've done a content transfer in the past then yeah it probs is that big. You're actual gamertag profile will only be up to 10MB max tho I'm sure.
dan_m1les

3rd Mar 11 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok, I just remember when I took my gamertag of my console and put it on the PC to edit it, the memory card in the usb stick was the biggest I had
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 11:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like you dragged across the whole file structure including downloads for your gamertag maybe, rather than just the E000122343243214 file that you need to do that. It's just 6GB sounds excessive to me lol Usually the profile just stores GPDs for the games you've played with the gamerscore unlock details for each, etc. When people were recovering their accounts, it'd take ages downloading 6GB

Sam
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
How come you're so bothered about HDD space anyway, Sam? I took my HDD back out as I sold that along with my JTAG. I'm just running on the 4GB fine. Game saves are less than a MB generally and your profile will only be a few MB. There's the odd title update which wouldn't be that big. The only thing that fills it really is if you download demos (about 1GB each) or install the games, but I never bother with that. Oh, and I suppose map packs would use up space if you bought them, but they're only 500MBish.

I know on my old Xbox (i.e. the original one) I could rip tracks from CDs and store them on the HDD, I'd quite like to be able to do the same with the new one too hence the need for some good storage space.
LeeM

3rd Mar 11 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mates got the 4gb, installed forza and hasnt got room to download trials hd
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 23:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I know on my old Xbox (i.e. the original one) I could rip tracks from CDs and store them on the HDD, I'd quite like to be able to do the same with the new one too hence the need for some good storage space.

It's easier to just stream mp3s, etc. over the network tbh
brebaz

4th Mar 11 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv got the super elite (250gb) old shape one and iv only got about 100ish gig left
Brett
Premium Member

4th Mar 11 at 10:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any more people want to come out of the wood work to say how much space they use? FFS I was just saying you can easily manage with 4GB should you choose. If you want to download demos and junk and not delete them then that's your call.
adiohead

4th Mar 11 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My xbox would of got RROD if I'd of only had 4gb.

Oh wait, it got RROD anyway.

My 20gb drive filled up within a few months and I had to upgrade to 120gb (which I bought from Jambo)

New Poll