corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Best way to drive Turbo Diesels ?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Best way to drive Turbo Diesels ?
Adam_lee

User status: Offline
3rd May 03 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heres something you could try. It works with my dads saab. when your pottering about and your going from a 30 zone to a freeway, feather the break with your left foot and accelerate with the right, this makes your engine work harder and spins up the turbo whist maintaining a slower speed. then as you hit the freeway let go of the break and bosh you take of like a fucker. dont =know if its gonna work on a corsa diesel though, and your breaks wont last to long
Kris TD

3rd May 03 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the turbo forces fresh air straight into the engine, reason they work is becasue they can get more air into the engine, hence more power. they do not run off emissions.
Adam_lee

3rd May 03 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kris TD
they do not run off emissions.

sorry, but in this case your a bit wrong.

Air entering the engine first passes through an exhaust driven compressor (the turbo). Compressed air results in a larger quantity of air being forced into the engine, creating more power.

The energy used to drive the turbo compressor is extracted from waste exhaust gasses. As exhaust gasses leave the engine they are directed through a wheel placed in the exhaust flow. The gasses drive the turbine wheel around, which is directly connected via a shaft, to the compressor wheel.

Increased exhaust gas drives the turbine wheel faster, this provides the engine more air, producing more power. A limit is met once a pre-determined boost pressure is achieved. At this point the exhaust gas is redirected away from the turbine wheel, thus slowing it down and limiting the maximum boost pressure. This redirection valve is known as the wastegate.

This extraction of energy, from exhaust gas, to improve engine efficiency is the device known as the turbocharger.

Turbochargers are usually seen as power enhancements on performance cars, but today, turbochargers are becoming more regularly used to provide greater torque on small capacity engines. The advantages of using a turbo engine include improved fuel efficiency and reduced exhaust emissions

And hence if you feather the break and keep the power down you make the engine work harder. when Engine works harder you supply more fuel, more fuel needs more air, more air and fule means more exhaust gasses, more exhaust gasses and your turbo spins up to its highest regulated preasure. let go of the break and bosh!

Hence rally drivers do a lot of left foot breaking.

[Edited on 03-05-2003 by Adam_lee]
Bonzai

3rd May 03 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kool trick, ive not heard of that before, i must give that a go when i go out
Adam_lee

3rd May 03 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lordbonzia I cant garante its gonna work for a small corsa disel, but like i said it does on my old mans saab. oh and just reving it dosent work so much neither (dont know why but i suspect its cos reving under no load dosent use the same amount of fuel). You got to make the engine work. Let me know how it goes! having never drove a corsa deisel it would be intresting to find out!
Bonzai

3rd May 03 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill take it down the industrial estate later and find out
Bonzai

3rd May 03 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DOH, it didnt work for me, but thats cos i cant left foot brake evidantly!

i was goin down the road, put my left foot on the brake, far too heavy started slowin down to much. as an instinctive reaction my left foot went to depress the clutch but forgot it was on the brake and i came to a screeching halt.

maybe somebody else should try out this trick in a corsa TD. my left foot aint leavin the clutch again!
IntaCepta

3rd May 03 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought drivers use left foot braking (or toe/heel action) to keep the revs high during a gear change, so maintains the revs lost (during clutch/neutral).

i thought the only reason to do this is to carry revs into corners.

it takes a while to master lfb. but i find it easier to toe/heel..
orthodox way = use ball of right feet to brake, then before lifting off brake, use the heel of right foot to blip the gas.

instead i use the ball to press the gas and the heel to press the brake (due to my long legs and big steering wheel, its easier for me to do it this way.)

[Edited on 03-05-2003 by IntaCepta]
Bonzai

3rd May 03 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think the point of this was to keep the turbo at maximum boost so when you come off the brake you get maximum increase of speed right away rather than wait for the turbo to wind up to maximum boost

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll