corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Right, I have my hosting I have my domain

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Right, I have my hosting I have my domain
mattk

User status: Offline
18th Aug 10 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how the fuck do I see / make my site, I cannot fathom this out for the life of me, google is no help either

I thought it was just gonna be like a power point type thing adding pictures and text and so on,

I have got my web disk in my network places. dont know what that means

also what the hell is a Cpanel

im utterly stumped
Dom

18th Aug 10 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should have kept this in your other thread as a few of us have posted how to go about it. Personally i would grab one of the CSS templates that daymoon link to and the open it up in something like Adobe Dreamweaver and then replace text/images as need be. Alternatively use could something like Googe Pages (think that's the name of it) editor to create something like Deano did a while ago for his old mans business (might be worth dropping him a U2U).

Sam/Paul (/others) have suggested Wordpress which is a Content Management System (CMS) which i think is overkill considering the content is rarely going to change. Plus it's far from easy for a beginner to install and get it running and templating it isn't easy either. Plus side is that once it's running, changing content is a piece of piss but i still stand that i think it's pointless and a static website is the best way to go about it.

As for cPanel, that's the control panel for your hosting. You can set up email address (mailboxes), look at logs, create mySQL databases etc etc
First thing i would do is create an email address, something like contact@mk-plumbing.co.uk - login into your cPanel account, click 'Email Addresses' then enter the details accordingly (email address, enter contact, password is the password, quota is the mailbox size and 50MB would be a good size and you can change it if need be). Once that's done, you then just need to set up your email client (outlook etc) and cPanel gives you the option of downloading a small file (under Configuration Mail Client) that will setup your client or use can login to the webmail via http://www.mk-plumbing.co.uk/webmail

[Edited on 18-08-2010 by Dom]
mattk

18th Aug 10 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Damn Ive just deleted the old thread, didnt want 2 running

I have set up info@mk-plumbing.co.uk.

Im going to download Dreamweaver now, this is not my kind of thing at all

Thanks alot Dom
Dom

18th Aug 10 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dreamweaver is really a piece of piss, just keep it in the 'Design' mode and you'll alright

AS for design, keep it really simple. What Deano knocked up was pretty much spot on, ie: no bullshite straight to the point layout giving clear information of the services and contact information to the user. So try not to go for something like http://www.4templates.com/view/website-templates/0/AX0299GR , and head towards something like http://www.freecsstemplates.org/preview/economics/ - ie: replace Economics text with your logo, replace image with some swanky plumber image, have a few tabs on the menu bar (Home, Services, Previous Work), replace the left hand nav bar with a contact info box (and present this on all pages) and replace the Welcom to Economics with a few paragraphs about who you are, a summary of what you offer, how long you've been in the trade, qualifications etc - jobs a goodun'.

Edit - Obviously if you need help then one of us will no doubt give you a hand

[Edited on 18-08-2010 by Dom]
mattk

18th Aug 10 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a fucking clue how to use dreamweaver either

I have got my .css template into it but its all just code, I cant physicaly see any pictures

Im gonna end up paying someone to do this
Dan
Premium Member

18th Aug 10 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dreamweaver made site is WAY over the top for this imo.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Toby
Premium Member

18th Aug 10 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use google website builder thingy, you will need hours to learn how to use dreamweaver, its one thing getting it laid out another thing actuall coding it and linking bits together.
pow
Premium Member

18th Aug 10 at 22:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt, would you like me to sit down and set up with you google apps? Email and a easy-to-use site builder, and it's all free
chr15barn3s

18th Aug 10 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will be good to see if you find a good way to do this as I need to make one for work and can't figure it out at all
deano87

19th Aug 10 at 05:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Google Sites you can update really easily like you would in PowerPoint. Plus you don't need hosting - I haven't got any for dad's. Just paid £7.99 for his URL.

Definitely worth looking in to. Plus it's a piece of piss to set up Google Analytics and Webmaster tools.
Dan
Premium Member

19th Aug 10 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt has his site setup in wordpress now. We sorted it late last night, and its looking better already!

www.mk-plumbing.co.uk

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Gsi_Ire

19th Aug 10 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks pretty clean. Nice site.

Just wondering, how come the Gas Safe Register image is a link to just a larger image of Gas Safe Register, just wondering in case its done by mistake and not by design.
mattk

19th Aug 10 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks a ton for your help last night Dan, Id have never figured that out in a milion years, gonna have a good tinker with it tonight
Jamie-C

19th Aug 10 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is my bosses website if your stuck for ideas

http://www.jbunting.com/J_bunting_plumbing_%26_Heating/Welcome.html
harrisp

19th Aug 10 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good but there are a few grammar mistakes.
Also you missed the "r" out of powerflushing.
mattk

19th Aug 10 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah I had a late and stressful night last night, just sorted it all now, just need to add more text.

cant think of anything that wont sound like me just rambling on
mattk

20th Aug 10 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
This is my bosses website if your stuck for ideas

http://www.jbunting.com/J_bunting_plumbing_%26_Heating/Welcome.html

I like the "emergency" page on there, I might have to copy that
Sam
Premium Member

20th Aug 10 at 07:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt, it might be worthwhile getting a professional copywriter to sort you out with some decent text content on there.

I can get a quote off my copywriter for your site if you like, he doesn't charge silly money either.

Forgot to add: he's pretty competent with using WordPress as well so he can add the text in there for you to make sure everything looks right rather than just giving you a Word document to copy and paste text from.

[Edited on 20-08-2010 by Sam]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

20th Aug 10 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.portsmouthplasteringandartexing.co.uk/

This is the plasterer I used for my lounge etc. Very good site I thought. Might be worth grabbing some ideas for content from. Also, whatever gets the page to the top of google works wonders on this site. Search Fareham plasterer or any area locally and his site is top of the list!

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Dom

20th Aug 10 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
http://www.portsmouthplasteringandartexing.co.uk/

This is the plasterer I used for my lounge etc. Very good site I thought. Might be worth grabbing some ideas for content from. Also, whatever gets the page to the top of google works wonders on this site. Search Fareham plasterer or any area locally and his site is top of the list!

Looks like a decent site, but what a domain name
VegasPhil
Premium Member

20th Aug 10 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha yeah.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
DannyB
Premium Member

20th Aug 10 at 21:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks ok, does what you want it to. You need to put a space after your full stops though, and this bit too;

quote:
Registered to ensure you recieve first class service from professional competent, heating engineers

Shouldn't the comma be after 'professional'?

I'm no grammar expert by any means, it just doesn't look right like that

[Edited on 20-08-2010 by DannyB]
Andrew

21st Aug 10 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a word with Whittie Matt, he'll be able to sort you something out fairly cheap. IMO it's not worth spending months and months fucking around when you can make this money back off business generated from your own trade from the website in this time.

If your dedicated to doing your own website, have a look at WordPress. It has all the themes pre-build for you to use.

[Edited on 21-08-2010 by Andrew]

New Poll