corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Help with site name/logo/design etc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help with site name/logo/design etc
Ally

User status: Offline
17th Feb 08 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if this is supposed to be in geek day

Have the name i want, but where is the best place to buy the actual thing from?

Im after the name with .co.uk, hosting, email adresses and whatever is needed to create an online shop

I have a couple of mates who are going to design/set it all up for me but i just need to know where the best place is to get the thing from!

[Edited on 18-02-2008 by Ally]
Cosmo

17th Feb 08 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask them where they prefer to work with, as some hosts will automatically install free ecommerce solutions such as oscommerce - which could make it easier for anyone doing the design work for you.
Ally

17th Feb 08 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, i really dont understand how it works. I just cant get my head around it
Dom

17th Feb 08 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.1and1.co.uk/www.123-reg.co.uk for buying the domain.

Hosting, tsohost.co.uk, vooservers.com <- both uk hosted. If you want it cheaper then you can go to the states.

one tip i recommend is to keep the domain and hosting seperate companies, just incase you have problems with one of them. And remember that you'll need an SSL certificate (usually an additional fee a month to the hosting) if you're going to be processing online transactions yourself, otherwise many e-commerce packages (OSCommerce etc) will allow you signup to an external company to do the processing of credit cards etc (worldpay/paypal).
Cosmo

17th Feb 08 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You buy a domain name (whatever.co.uk or .com, or loads others)

You buy hosting which basically gives you storage space to host a website.

You point the domain name to where your website is hosted - although this can be done more easily if you register your name and host your website at the same place.

An ecommerce solution will be hosted on your host, and this is basically the 'back end' to your website that will allow you to add and manage products, aswell as linking to a secure payment system (such as Worldpay or Paypal) to process these orders.

A common system used is oscommerce as its free, but is widely used and has a lot of add on stuff so you can customise your shop. You can see working demo's on their website.
Dom

17th Feb 08 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cosmo's summed it up nicely

But i do stress that you buy the domain and hosting seperately, it takes all of a few minutes to point the domain to the hosting company (change the DNS settings to the nameservers of the hosting company) and can save you lots of headaches - my previous hosting company went down the pan without lettering anyone know. I was lucky enough to have done this in the first place, but a few friends bought the hosting/domain(s) from them, 3 months later there still trying to get control of the domain names. Both of them have lost a fair wack of cash because of this.
Dan
Premium Member

17th Feb 08 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u sent

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Cosmo

17th Feb 08 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Cosmo's summed it up nicely

But i do stress that you buy the domain and hosting seperately, it takes all of a few minutes to point the domain to the hosting company (change the DNS settings to the nameservers of the hosting company) and can save you lots of headaches - my previous hosting company went down the pan without lettering anyone know. I was lucky enough to have done this in the first place, but a few friends bought the hosting/domain(s) from them, 3 months later there still trying to get control of the domain names. Both of them have lost a fair wack of cash because of this.

Yeah, its sound advice. I use GoDaddy to register/manage my domains.
Dan
Premium Member

17th Feb 08 at 16:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mrsite is brilliant imo

Dom

17th Feb 08 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
mrsite is brilliant imo

quite pricey for what you get (templates, hosting and domain) though - useful for the complete novice but i wouldn't have thought it'd be the most professional way to go, especially for an e-commerce site.
Dan
Premium Member

17th Feb 08 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think 35 quid for a year, including a domain name etc is that bad?

Ally

18th Feb 08 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I paid £6 for my domain name and richies little sister ran off a quick name thingy

Here

if anyone wants to look, also suggestions (constructive) welcome. Its for gothic/fetishy corsets

Ally

18th Feb 08 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the name needs to be clearer as well btw... or even a total font change
Cosmo

18th Feb 08 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah its too hard to make out what its called tbh!
Ally

18th Feb 08 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think Cadaver is ok, but corsetry is too messy

The stress begins
AdZ9

18th Feb 08 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't rush anything, remember. First impressions count. If i visit a shit website or one thats only half done i never visit again. Take your time, don't rush and make sure its all 100% when you release it, dont even use a construction/coming soon page as people really dont care about them anymore.
Dom

19th Feb 08 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ally
I paid £6 for my domain name and richies little sister ran off a quick name thingy

Here

if anyone wants to look, also suggestions (constructive) welcome. Its for gothic/fetishy corsets

6 quid for the domain seems a lot, as you can get 2 years worth for £4 on a .co.uk And you should have opt'd out of the whois, as your address is listed everytime someone does a whois.

But good luck with the site

New Poll