corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Multiple phone points

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Multiple phone points
Cavey

User status: Offline
10th Feb 10 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, not sure if this should be in geek day or house day, so going with here....

We're moving into a house which has got first fit, which means that when the main phone point is connected it gets split into all 3 sockets in the house.

Does anyone know if that means if I have 2 routers, I could have one downstairs for the ps3 and one one the middle floor for a computer? So both things are hardwired and should provide better and more reliable connection speeds? I'm not a fan of wireless everything screws up too much.
John

10th Feb 10 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't, would have to run cat5 or powerline adapters if you want it wired.
Cosmo

10th Feb 10 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, John is right. Need to either run network cable (is best) or use the plug socket thingies.

I use the plug sockets and its not so bad (gives me a solid connection compared to the wireless) but if I had the option Id of networked it.
noshua

10th Feb 10 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you were to have 2 routers, one of them would have to be connected to the other via either wireless or cable. The only benefits are;

more Ethernet ports (2 routers rather than 1)
less cable being run from upstairs (saves running more than 1 cable down stairs to the router)
a possible better wireless signal

edit; obviously if you had two routers, 1 downstairs, 1 upstairs, if the upstairs was connected to the downstairs via wireless, then a computer was connected to the upstairs router via cable, there would hardly be any benefit what so ever in this, so you'd still have to run a cable from the downstairs router to the upstairs router.

[Edited on 10-02-2010 by noshua]
Cavey

11th Feb 10 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't think I could do what I was planning, but was hoping there would be a solution for it. Oh well.

Or that I could use the telephone cabling which was there for transmitting data. Crap, looks like the Ps3 is staying on wireless then.

New Poll