corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2pc's 1 broadband :|

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2pc's 1 broadband :|
Dom

User status: Offline
20th Nov 04 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I feel we should post THIS in future when people ask...would save alot of headaches
Tim
Site Administrator

20th Nov 04 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
quote:
Originally posted by Tim
Dialup access from multiple points (and subsequent authentications on radius or other auth servers) are the way in which your strict multiple-location access policies are achieved.

With a single ADSL connection, there is absolutely no way the ISP can tell whether a connection was made from PC1 or PC2 behind a NAPT firewall -- THAT IS the whole point. Dom and Ian are correct, end of... Ghost connections?

no said anything about firewalls , just routers

Most routers can perform NAT. Router/firewall are a grey area now considering the number of port filtering, address translation, and proxy functions built into most router OSes nowadays.

And we all know full well, when we talk about home routers we mean those capable of sharing a single internet connection using NAPT.

And if we meant enterprise routers, show me one which is not capable of NAPT, as Cisco IOS certainly supports it.
Nismo

20th Nov 04 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Dial-up is not a different story if you're all in the same house.

I used to share a BT OpenWorld 56k connection between my three computers and two in my neighbours house. Slow as anything, but it worked.

its the same if you use a router, but i think nismo was talking about dialing up from different tel numbers etc etc

yes and you cant have 2 people dialup from the same number at the same time can you.

depends if the ISP gives you a dynamic IP address, or your ISP sets you a static ip on that account - majority of ISPS dish out dynamics, hence why when NTLWorld just launched with there 15quid/month dialup we had two phone numbers and used to beable connect with the same account. It was also why ntl cut us off from that, although they never had any warnings on the packaging nor in the T&C's about it, so they didnt have a leg to stand on

yeah we have a package where it issues a static ip and one that has the CLI (tel number) on the account so can only connect from that line. you can have the account on as many PCs as you want just will only connect 1 at atime on that line.
Nismo

20th Nov 04 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tim
Dialup access from multiple points (and subsequent authentications on radius or other auth servers) are the way in which your strict multiple-location access policies are achieved.

With a single ADSL connection, there is absolutely no way the ISP can tell whether a connection was made from PC1 or PC2 behind a NAPT firewall -- THAT IS the whole point. Dom and Ian are correct, end of... Ghost connections?

Most routers can perform NAT. Router/firewall are a grey area now considering the number of port filtering, address translation, and proxy functions built into most router OSes nowadays.

And we all know full well, when we talk about home routers we mean those capable of sharing a single internet connection using NAPT.

And if we meant enterprise routers, show me one which is not capable of NAPT, as Cisco IOS certainly supports it.

any way change my username punk
Tim
Site Administrator

20th Nov 04 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tim
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

any way change my username punk

You must first send me a u2u informing me of what you would like to change it to I trashed all my old u2u's until I did this new name change script...
Nismo

20th Nov 04 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sortayyyy
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Nov 04 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fail to see why you'd want to both dial in to the same connection if you're in the same house - two phone lines, (effectively) costs twice as much, no other shared capability; printer, files etc.

Network and routed single connection is soooo much more preferable!

If you're talking about people up and down the country both needing an internet connection then yeah, tell me about phone lines.

If not, and the thread did not, PC World and spend 100 quid - it will work!
Dom

20th Nov 04 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I fail to see why you'd want to both dial in to the same connection if you're in the same house - two phone lines, (effectively) costs twice as much, no other shared capability; printer, files etc.

Network and routed single connection is soooo much more preferable!

If you're talking about people up and down the country both needing an internet connection then yeah, tell me about phone lines.

If not, and the thread did not, PC World and spend 100 quid - it will work!

the reason why we didnt share a single connection when we had dialup was because it was usually me and my brother playing counterstrike - therefore if we shared a connection the pings would have be terrible
plus it didnt cost us anything, apart from the flat fee of 15quid a month

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2pc's 1 broadband :| 23 database queries in 0.0086832 seconds