corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2pc's 1 broadband :|

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2pc's 1 broadband :|
Drew
Banned

User status: Offline
20th Nov 04 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how do i link them so both pc's can be online at same time

suppose it gotta be wireless as they at different ends of the house

claire told me basically what is needed, but can you point me in the direction of the actual parts, links please
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Nov 04 at 11:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Router and if they're not already networked, two network cards and some patch cables. Doesn't need to be wireless although this is easier to install.
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Nov 04 at 11:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1041945548.1100950739@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdkadcmmiljgdhcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&sku=336352&category_oid=-9980&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null
Cybermonkey

20th Nov 04 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTW, not all ISP's allow more than one IP address to be logged at the same time through the same connection. Mine doesnt
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Nov 04 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...and two of these...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1041945548.1100950739@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdkadcmmiljgdhcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&sku=886359&category_oid=-9976&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Nov 04 at 11:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
more than one IP address to be logged at the same time through the same connection
They never will be, your intenal network addresses are completely different to the one assignged by your ISP.

Ian
Site Administrator

20th Nov 04 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.gyre.co.uk/help/broadband/connection_sharing.php
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Nov 04 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You want the first one in 'Method 2: Sharing a broadband connection using a hardware broadband router'
Nismo

20th Nov 04 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you have a dynamic IP it will not matter

If you have a Static IP check with your service provider as they may not allow ghost connections.
Dom

20th Nov 04 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
if you have a dynamic IP it will not matter

If you have a Static IP check with your service provider as they may not allow ghost connections.

tbh, i doubt would matter if your static or dynamic as the ISP would only ever see one connection anyways. And aslong as the router is setup to use the static IP given by your ISP then it should work fine
However, majority of IPs given for broadband are either dynamic or "sticky" dynamic addresses (both the same, except with a sticky the ip address rarely changes).

However, if you have the option to get another ip address, then i would get it as it means both pcs will have their own address and a few programs kick up fuss with using a nat'd network
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Nov 04 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't matter!

The ISP assigns an IP address to your connection, the MAC address of which they take a note of - usually your network card. If you introduce a router it will have a different MAC, but most routers (Belkin being one) will spoof it. If it doesn't work, phone them up, find out what MAC is registered and connect using the router.

Then get your nodes seeing the router, make sure they're getting IP and DNS via DHCP, and it'll work.
Nismo

20th Nov 04 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it does matter with us as you get assined the IP then the second PC/user connects and they dont get assined an IP as its allready in use so they are unable to browse , ok if you use a DHCP network though.

we get cheap skate offices that buy 1 dialup account for there traveliing staff then moan that they can hardley ever browse cus of everybody else dialling up with it
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Nov 04 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm talking about sharing an internet connection with a few PCs in a home/small office etc.

You're talking about making all machines in a private network externally visible by assigning global IP addresses to them all. Totally unnecessary if you just want to browse the web and send a few emails on the PCs.

And yes, you need a network in to which to supply the internet connection. I don't see any sensible reason why you'd do it any other way.

[Edited on 20-11-2004 by Ian]
Dom

20th Nov 04 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
it does matter with us as you get assined the IP then the second PC/user connects and they dont get assined an IP as its allready in use so they are unable to browse , ok if you use a DHCP network though.

we get cheap skate offices that buy 1 dialup account for there traveliing staff then moan that they can hardley ever browse cus of everybody else dialling up with it

oh aye, dial-up is a different story all together
but with broadband only one ip address is assigned to the modem, therefore the ISP only sees the traffic from the modem and not whats behind it

as for MAC addresses, yea ADSL you have to phone majority of the ISPS to get them to change it etc Although you usually just copy it from your network card or USB "fake" network card driver mac address to the router

Although with cable, you can assign two mac addresses within a 24hr period, which is pretty handy
Tim
Site Administrator

20th Nov 04 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dialup access from multiple points (and subsequent authentications on radius or other auth servers) are the way in which your strict multiple-location access policies are achieved.

With a single ADSL connection, there is absolutely no way the ISP can tell whether a connection was made from PC1 or PC2 behind a NAPT firewall -- THAT IS the whole point. Dom and Ian are correct, end of... Ghost connections?
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Nov 04 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dial-up is not a different story if you're all in the same house.

I used to share a BT OpenWorld 56k connection between my three computers and two in my neighbours house. Slow as anything, but it worked.
Dom

20th Nov 04 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
Dialup access from multiple points (and subsequent authentications on radius or other auth servers) are the way in which your strict multiple-location access policies are achieved.

With a single ADSL connection, there is absolutely no way the ISP can tell whether a connection was made from PC1 or PC2 behind a NAPT firewall -- THAT IS the whole point. Dom and Ian are correct, end of... Ghost connections?

GO TIM GO TIM GO TIM !!!
to be fair though it is only midday and most of us are still in bed
Dom

20th Nov 04 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

I used to share a BT OpenWorld 56k connection between my three computers and two in my neighbours house. Slow as anything, but it worked.

its the same if you use a router, but i think nismo was talking about dialing up from different tel numbers etc etc
Nismo

20th Nov 04 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim

no said anything about firewalls , just routers
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

20th Nov 04 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
BTW, not all ISP's allow more than one IP address to be logged at the same time through the same connection. Mine doesnt

NAT.
Nismo

20th Nov 04 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

it is with static IPs with easynet. when you dialup you are assigned the IP so no one else can have that ip.
Nismo

20th Nov 04 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

its the same if you use a router, but i think nismo was talking about dialing up from different tel numbers etc etc

yes and you cant have 2 people dialup from the same number at the same time can you.
Dom

20th Nov 04 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look at us geeks debating static ips and NATPCXYZ firewall and QURSTXYZ routers and that if you connect a quilling fibre cable to the nano network socket then you get 43*7squared over 1 gbits a millisecond..yadda yadda yadda
Dom

20th Nov 04 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

yes and you cant have 2 people dialup from the same number at the same time can you.

depends if the ISP gives you a dynamic IP address, or your ISP sets you a static ip on that account - majority of ISPS dish out dynamics, hence why when NTLWorld just launched with there 15quid/month dialup we had two phone numbers and used to beable connect with the same account. It was also why ntl cut us off from that, although they never had any warnings on the packaging nor in the T&C's about it, so they didnt have a leg to stand on
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

20th Nov 04 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gigabit jigabit dom

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2pc's 1 broadband :| 22 database queries in 0.1074131 seconds