corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Is XP a better option than Vista??

Poll: Is XP a better option than Vista??
  XP
  Vista

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is XP a better option than Vista??
John

User status: Offline
18th Mar 09 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows ME was a terrible terrible OS that came out after 98 and crashed roughly every 2 minutes.
Rich H

18th Mar 09 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vista works well with most the pretty bits turned off

I only have the aero theme turned on, but sidebar and widgets off. I also turned off the admin protection thing as that stopped the likes of Firefox auto updating and tbh is just incredibly annoying when I want to install something that I had to keep clicking confirm!

Other than that, it's more attractive to use and not broken on me once yet. It does install an update EVERY time I shut the PC down though
Jambo

18th Mar 09 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thank you john
John

18th Mar 09 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Installed ubuntu.

It's already downloaded 255meg of updates and it's giving me prompts that look very similar to UAC when I try to install software.
Matt H

18th Mar 09 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What the fuck are you lot going on about??

Linux? Umbagadroo?

Go away with your l33t geek nonsense

Vista or XP. Those are the options
Joe

18th Mar 09 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use Windows 3.1, I may upgrade to Windows 95 soon but I heard it runs slow.
John

18th Mar 09 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Run vista, if you don't like it install xp.

I wouldn't dismiss vista right off the bat though.
Matt H

18th Mar 09 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't we all ought to start getting used to Vista?
John

18th Mar 09 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely, since XP is nearly 7 years old and windows 7 is nearly out (I see what they've done there).
Matt H

18th Mar 09 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's Windows 7?
AndyKent

18th Mar 09 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The next OS.

This is what gets me though. I can see why the 'technical' peeps on here might not like Vista as they have to try and make it do all sorts of stuff, but for a regular user, its bang on. RAM forever coming down in price, so how much it uses doesn't bother me. In fact the laptop I have now with Vista is faster than the old one with XP and was £100 less, albeit 3 years apart, so whats the problem?
Matt H

18th Mar 09 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely keeping Vista & putting up with a few dumbass questions is better than uninstalling & reinstalling an OS?
AndyKent

18th Mar 09 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep

Especially when it all goes tits up as you have to find a whole load of drivers off the net for hardware. For a normal user it works just fine in my experience.
John

18th Mar 09 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's this with technical users?

I'd class myself as fairly technical and I can make it do exactly what I want.
AndyKent

18th Mar 09 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By technical I probably mean technician - doing all the networking stuff or whatever they do.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

18th Mar 09 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt H
Surely keeping Vista & putting up with a few dumbass questions is better than uninstalling & reinstalling an OS?

Its not about a few dumbass questions, Vista is a shitty operating system down to the core. I'm a power user, i like to know exactly whats going on with my computer and use it to its full potential. This is why you should stick to funny haircuts and guitars.
willay
Premium Member

18th Mar 09 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Didn't we all ought to start getting used to Vista?

in theory according to the microsoft timeline/productline but the product wasnt good enough from the start , different drivers were needed, hardly came out, adoption of the O/S was slow, they took time to release a service pack to resolve all the stupid errors the operating system had when it was released. good quality control there.
Matt H

18th Mar 09 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:

Its not about a few dumbass questions, Vista is a shitty operating system down to the core. I'm a power user, i like to know exactly whats going on with my computer and use it to its full potential. This is why you should stick to funny haircuts and guitars.

Deal, I'll leave the computers & bad trainers to you.
willay
Premium Member

19th Mar 09 at 04:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ta mate
ENB

19th Mar 09 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I'm not a fanboy and i've never had a virus or any malware on vista.

I also know exactly where the user account control option is so I don't get nannied either.

As i've said about that before, that actually works very similarly to linux where you are need to allow elevated privileges.

Also, the 2% of non retarted windows users is probably still more than all linux users.

Don't know why people get so mad at a company for being succesful.

[Edited on 18-03-2009 by John]

Wow, I agree with you. I don't understand why it's slated so much. Things aren't that hard to find, unlike the switch from office 2003 to 2007, where everything was moved for apparent reason. It has it's faults, file transfers/copying and burying the network adapters in the dumb security centre, but it's not a bad OS even though it's very resource hungry.

Which brings it to Windows 7, essentially Vista but mostly finished and it's still in beta runs at least as well on XP on similar specced machines (512Mb RAM for example, it runs absolutely fine, something Vista could only dream of doing.

As for Linux, which is the kernal by the way not the O/S, it not really for your average user, until a user friendly distro is released (ubuntu comes close, but it's still too fiddly for Windows entrenched users) they're going to struggle against Windows.

Servers on the other hand, linux based O/S's are the way to go; CentOS and Arch being my faves.
Roffo

21st Mar 09 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:
Originally posted by Roffo

mate nobodys had a go at you or anything, i think you should retact that TBH. from that statement i think you are the 'fanboy', i only use vista because it came with my computer and see no need to change it.

And from your statement I can only assume you're a stupid end user who hasn't really got a clue?

yes il put my hands up and say i dont know much about computers, just that vista works for me and that im not retarded just for using it. that my point.
im in the royal logistics, and my skills are in weapons and ammo, not which is the best windows.
Sam
Premium Member

24th Mar 09 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My laptop runs Vista Premium (came pre-installed), I do prefer using Vista to XP as it has some nice touches.

My server runs XP Pro (I once tried Server 2004 or whatever the second oldest version is) and that seemed much quicker than XP Pro?

I also have a PowerMac G4 running OSX Tiger 10.4.11 with 1Gb RAM, and to be honest I find that machine faster than the server and my laptop (which has 2Gb RAM and a faster processor), even though the Mac runs a trusty old 400MHz Motorola PowerPC CPU!

The only thing that ever really crashes on my Mac is MS Office 2004 for some reason...
kirx

24th Mar 09 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vista is pretty rubbish even microsoft kno that! thats why they are bringing out windows 7 ..i think.. lol

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll