corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Is XP a better option than Vista??

Poll: Is XP a better option than Vista??
  XP
  Vista

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is XP a better option than Vista??
nathy_87

User status: Offline
18th Mar 09 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its either or tbh. Vista looks 'cleaner' and looks more professional. On the other hand XP is alot easier to use So its up to you. Try it a few days with Vista then decide for yourself
Roffo

18th Mar 09 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
quote:
Originally posted by willay
Vista is the new Windows Me.

I've been saying that since early Beta of Vista, and still stand by the opinion... The OS is shite, and as for the spyware/malware/virus comment, you WILL still get that shit on Vista. Also the ignorance of most Vista users reading articles from years back thinking it still applies about it being immune for virii, ummm no... But hey, if you don't run it you're in the wrong 99% of the time as the fanboy bias will demand itself to be correct and awesome and make you worship there e-penis as they are "cool"

I'm glad I ditched Windows as a whole 4 years ago now, never had 1 single issue running Linux... Also feel like a human being using it compared to windows which fucking nannies everything you do... and why should I have to dig around to turn of the confirmation bollocks, its only there because M$ know 98% of all Windows users are fucking retarded...

mate nobodys had a go at you or anything, i think you should retact that TBH. from that statement i think you are the 'fanboy', i only use vista because it came with my computer and see no need to change it.

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

18th Mar 09 at 13:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

Don't know why people get so mad at a company for being succesful.

are people mad in this thread at Microsoft because they are one of the most successful companies on the planet or are they mad because their software is aload of cat piss?
willay
Premium Member

18th Mar 09 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Roffo

mate nobodys had a go at you or anything, i think you should retact that TBH. from that statement i think you are the 'fanboy', i only use vista because it came with my computer and see no need to change it.

And from your statement I can only assume you're a stupid end user who hasn't really got a clue?
John

18th Mar 09 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Successful, most of the software works fine.

It was more aimed at the people who complain about being nannied, 5 clicks to turn it off that's much more difficult than compiling programs ffs
willay
Premium Member

18th Mar 09 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5 clicks? to compile a program you just need to type 'make' in its directory.

or if you're using ubuntu/debian you can type 'apt-get install <appname>'.

The instructions to resolve errors on linux are more available and clearer then instructions on how t o resolve windows issues.
John

18th Mar 09 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not once managed to get something compiled in linux, noob
willay
Premium Member

18th Mar 09 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Successful, most of the software works fine.

ah good, because in this thread we're talking about the software, just to make that clear to you.

The software is buggy, poorly written, doesnt use memory in a useful way (thus why 3GB for Vista will make it 'run good'), over priced, hasn't conformed to international computing standards in the past and easy to exploit. Compared to other operating systems that is
willay
Premium Member

18th Mar 09 at 13:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I've not once managed to get something compiled in linux, noob

you'd be suprised how easy and powerful it is once you get the hang of it.
Hammer

18th Mar 09 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows Vista raped Willay's goldfish.
willay
Premium Member

18th Mar 09 at 13:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Windows Vista raped Willay's goldfish.

Vista doesnt grace any of my computers, at work I run XP, my servers run FreeBSD, my workstation at home runs FreeBSD and my netbook runs ubuntu 8.
John

18th Mar 09 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I disagree with buggy and poorly written.

The one and only thing that ever crashes on my vista system is IE8 and that's a beta so I can either uninstall it or live with it.

I can't remember the last time windows crashed, even when I previously had dodgy graphics drivers it managed to deal with them crashing and keep the system going.

Fair enough vista does like at least a couple of gigs of ram but it's difficult to buy systems without that much and ram is pennies.

Over priced, definitely, no chance i'd have paid for it, it's no easier to exploit than *nix flavours, possibly even less easy, criminals don't make money from targetting a small savvy userbase though so they hit windows.
John

18th Mar 09 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of curiosity, how much ram do you need to have a recent linux distribution with it's fancy desktops and everything running smoothly?
willay
Premium Member

18th Mar 09 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I disagree with buggy and poorly written.

The one and only thing that ever crashes on my vista system is IE8 and that's a beta so I can either uninstall it or live with it.

I can't remember the last time windows crashed, even when I previously had dodgy graphics drivers it managed to deal with them crashing and keep the system going.

Fair enough vista does like at least a couple of gigs of ram but it's difficult to buy systems without that much and ram is pennies.

Over priced, definitely, no chance i'd have paid for it, it's no easier to exploit than *nix flavours, possibly even less easy, criminals don't make money from targetting a small savvy userbase though so they hit windows.

Please explain to me why unix flavours, which you've already demonstrated you have no real clue about, are easier to exploit then windows, or no easier.

Computers come bundled with all that ram because if they sold a computer with an operating system that didnt run properly out of the box they'd go out of business.
willay
Premium Member

18th Mar 09 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Out of curiosity, how much ram do you need to have a recent linux distribution with it's fancy desktops and everything running smoothly?

my 2-3 year old AMD desktop has 1GB of ram in it and a graphics card from that era (still wasnt the best back then) and it runs Gnome with Compiz without any issues.

Compiz - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz
John

18th Mar 09 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not bad mouthing it willay, you are correct, as i've admitted I don't have a clue.

I've got eyes and read various things though, a few of which have compared windows/linux/mac etc and found that per whatever metrics they used windows wasn't really any less secure.

I haven't sat and compared vulnerabilities myself.
willay
Premium Member

18th Mar 09 at 13:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in no way has it got watertight security out of the box (unless you're running OpenBSD) but its a damn sight better then Windows out of the box.

I've gone on a mega microsoft spanking mission in this thread when all I wanted to spank was Vista.

The fact that you havent got first hand experience yet are trying to comment on Windows Vs Linux security is not good man.
John

18th Mar 09 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am I not allowed to comment on what I've read?

Linux is getting installed on this laptop so I can get experience of it and be allowed to comment.

What would you recommend? Ububtu seems popular.
willay
Premium Member

18th Mar 09 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres making comments john and theres making out you actually know something when you dont. So dont start all of this sarky bullshit about not being allowed to comment

John

18th Mar 09 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't make out I know, I know what i've read in various places, even if I was using linux I doubt i'd know anymore considering I'd get equally as many crashes and viruses as I do on vista, ie none.
willay
Premium Member

18th Mar 09 at 14:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe if you had said "i read this somewhere" instead of

quote:
it's no easier to exploit than *nix flavours, possibly even less easy, criminals don't make money from targetting a small savvy userbase though so they hit windows.

Then I could of corrected you and said it was wrong.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet
John

18th Mar 09 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even though I did read the first bit of that I stand by it.

I've got 50% of ubuntu, i'll also be updating my isp post after it's finished
willay
Premium Member

18th Mar 09 at 14:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What ISP post?

in 50% time you'll be able to hack the planet.

TBH I'm sure you'll give it your usual microsoft biased review once its installed
John

18th Mar 09 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My moving to o2 one.

I'm not biased towards microsoft at all.

I'm quite happy to give anything a go if it's got some microchips in it.

I'm going into linux with no preconceptions, there's just been something that's put me off when i've used it before.
Jambo

18th Mar 09 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have found a frustrating problem with startup being slow as hell, nothing cures it. Have had it "fixed" effects are tempramental.

I however, find for my needs Vista is excellent. Im glad i have 4gb of ram as it means i can open 30 web pages, listen to music on itunes and browse pictures at the same time.

Its very user friendly for the non uber geeks amongst us such as myself.

Expensive? Yes but it was included with my machine so i didnt "pay" for it as such.

My 2 cents.

What is the ref. To windows ME About? For the non geeks amongst us....

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll