corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.4 8v meant to be thirsty ?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.4 8v meant to be thirsty ?
edd1.0

User status: Offline
4th Oct 08 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello my girlfriend has a 1.4 8v corsa auto and it seems to use alot more fuel then her brothers 1.4 manual 8v mk 3 golf , and also alot more fuel then my 1.0 12v , are they thirsty engines or is there somthing wrong there are no fuel leaks and the tire pressures are fine and she isnt a aggressive driver

any suggestions ?

thanks
Rich01

4th Oct 08 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what sort of milage to a tank? My corsa c14se was crap on fuel, get better milage from a redtop!
edd1.0

4th Oct 08 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

urm i dno onli about 140 miles i think eek
Rich01

4th Oct 08 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to a full tank?? there is a problem then! Does it smell of petrol or drive badly? Eml on?
edd1.0

4th Oct 08 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no it doesnt smell of petrol nd the light isnt on but it did used to cut out alot nd the eml used to flash bt she took it to a garage they found no faults and jst replaced ht leads and stuff and it doesnt cut out any more , the onli thing i can think is its an auto and wen doing motorway speeds its reving nt high but higher then a manual
ali_corsa

5th Oct 08 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when did you give it a service edd lol, just clean out the air filter or replace it change fuel filter and spark plugs, has it been doing it since she brought the car, it might be the timing is out making it think needs to add the fuel to create the bang but its adding it early causing it to have crap mpg and leaving a lot of fuel unburnt
edd1.0

5th Oct 08 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oooo get u mr clever lol urm i think it was serviced recently bt when she first got it the cambelt snapped so she had to have a new one put on and on the 8v the valves dont hit the pistons do they ? hw do i check the timing ?
ali_corsa

5th Oct 08 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

remove air box, remove plastic cover 3 8mms or something like that at the top and 2 or 3 at the bottom you will see a groove on the crank and pully at the top turn the engine over there is normally a cut out like a v shape on the plastic trim behind the belt make sure the top pully lines up with that one and the crank lines up with its one at the bottm
george

5th Oct 08 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i bought my sri it was terrible on fuel used to get about 160 miles to a full take. then i changed the timing belt and while doing it i realised the timing was well out and once i had done the belt it was fine. i would recomend checking your timing
dannymccann

5th Oct 08 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Christ on a bike my C14SE manual got 350 - 400 miles to a tank back in the day, that was a mix of 0 - 20mph town driving and 50 - 70mph trips, so I would say if you get something fixed it should achieve at least 300 miles, driven hard as well
ali_corsa

5th Oct 08 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea edd wont take you long to check it or an easyier way stick it on an emissions machine and see what hc its getting if thats sky high then it could be saying timing is out and its leaving a lot of unburnt fuel
20valver
Banned

16th Oct 08 at 01:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

32 mpg around town and 40/42 mpg gallon on a long run
Sean-B

16th Oct 08 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich01
to a full tank?? there is a problem then! Does it smell of petrol or drive badly? Eml on?

sorry to hijack thread, but when driving my 1.6 16v hard I sometimes get a smell of petrol what does this mean?
braggy
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

16th Oct 08 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jesus i get 160miles to £5 in my modified c14se so yes its fucked!!

New Poll