corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Passive VS Fan Cooled GFX (+ HDMI Question!)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Passive VS Fan Cooled GFX (+ HDMI Question!)
Doug

User status: Offline
7th Jun 08 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys,

I'm building a new computer and I have pretty much finalized the spec list for it.

Im now having problems choosing which graphics card to go with. The main goal of this build is to keep the computer quiet and cool as its going to be in my bedroom and turned on 24/7.

Here is the spec list as it stands at the moment:

[QUOTE]Criteria for the build:
- Internet use
- Downloading
- 32" Samsung HD LCD will be the monitor (1388 x 768 I believe, want the PC to output in HD)
- Playback of HD media aswell as normal media (large part of its use)
- Maybe some light gaming (GRID and other racing games)
- Web design work including photoshop
- Must be as quiet as possible as its in my bedroom
- Future proofed so I can upgrade it easily in the future.[/QUOTE]

Now in my choice of card I have been debating between the following:

ASUS EN8600GT SILENT 512MB GDDR3 HTDP Dual DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card

OR

Sapphire HD 3850 Pro 256MB

Which one would fit my needs the best?
Will the passive one get too hot and affect other components performance?
I want to be able to run a single HDMI cable from the computer to the TV to carry the sound aswell as the picture. I dont have any surround sound, I just want to use the TV speakers.
_Allan_

7th Jun 08 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure about the Nvidia stuff but I'd stretch to the HD3870 if you can. I'm running 2 in crossfire and they are fairly quiet.

Edit mine doesn't have any HDMI ports on it. It only comes with a DVI > HDMI converter. Not sure about the sound side as don't use it on a TV.

[Edited on 07-06-2008 by _Allan_]
Aaron

7th Jun 08 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same board and chip as me

[Edited on 07-06-2008 by Aaron]
Doug

7th Jun 08 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How is it? Have you overclocked yet?

Im going for a quiet PC, as that spec looking like it will be fairly quiet?
Aaron

7th Jun 08 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had no need to overclock yet tbh.

Spec looks good to me
Russ

8th Jun 08 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doug you can save yourself some money by buying the OEM version of tha CPU. no need to buy retail if your getting the artic HSF.

as for gfx. 8800GTS. can be found for £100 there and there abouts.

the HDMI wouldnt carry sound as DVi is only for video, and as you converting from dvi-hdmi it wont be there to transfer. you will need to find out what audio inputs your tv has and buy whatever fits your tv and sound card.
Russ

8th Jun 08 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also, the p5k-e has optical out, so if your tv supports it, use that
Tim
Site Administrator

8th Jun 08 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for an 8600 over the 8800. It actually offloads more stages of HD (H264) decoding to the GPU...

I'd go NVidia over ATI for media -- there's quite a few people that have shown NVidia to have completely overtaken in regard to video playback quality.

To get sound over the same HDMI cable you'll need a graphics card with either an SPDIF input, or a built in sound card. Take a look at the "Gainward SilentFX 8600GT HDMI" which although not readily available yet seemed to tick most the boxes for me...

http://www.gainward.com/product/product_detail.php?products_id=138
Doug

8th Jun 08 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the replys guys!

Tim:
That card sounds awesome, can I ask where you bought yours from and the cost?
How is the heat output on it?
Can you use it to play games such as GRID?
Can I have one monitor connected to the VGA port and my TV connected to the HDMI port and have both screens running at the same time? So I could be playing a moving on the TV and browsing the web on the VGA monitor?

Russ:
Cheers for the OEM tip, it hadnt crossed my mind!
I am pretty sure my TV has optical in so I think I will use that providing I have it.

I will go look and see if the TV has optical in or if my stereo has optical in. If either of the units do then I will just get a normal 8600GT rather than the one that Tim mentioned. But if thats not the case I will buy the one that Tim has mentioned.

Really appreciate the help guys !
Tim
Site Administrator

8th Jun 08 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not available yet (a lot of the HDMI cards are difficult to get hold of).

Scan have it for pre-order for £51 odd:

http://scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=708663

8600GT are not expensive, but better for Bluray playback than games I'd imagine. If gaming's your thing then go the 8800 route (or 9800 if you have the cash).

I run a silent 6800GT on my Media Center. It's fine, but doesn't accelerate H264 (so my AMD X2 4600 sits around 80% utilisation on both cores!). I use the PS3 to playback most HD stuff though so it doesn't really matter for me...

PS: Optical to AV amp would be fine (I run DVI->HDMI + optical), but you won't be able to playback HDCP-protected content this way.

[Edited on 08-06-2008 by Tim]
Russ

8th Jun 08 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

optical to your stereo would be aslong as your stereo is decent
Doug

8th Jun 08 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a Denon but its only a little all in one unit from about 2 years ago. Sadly it only has optical in

I think my best bet will be too run optical into the TV. The TV speakers really arnt that bad so I think providing it has the right inputs that will be the route I go down. Could I play HDCP content that way? I will only be downloading content not buying disks so I dont think it matters?

As far as the graphics card goes I think I will look at this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132310

As its in stock now. My plan will be too leave it as is and over clock it when I decide I want to play games down the line. Its mainl purpose atm will be the playback of media on the big screen while dual monitoring so I can use a little monitor aswell at the same time.

I have never tried doing dual screen before.... Can both the screens be different sizes etc?

[Edited on 08-06-2008 by Doug]
Russ

8th Jun 08 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you chose that one connect your gfx to ur sound card and sound will be through the hdmi.

yes both screen sizes can be different
Doug

8th Jun 08 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I connect that GFX card to the sound card then I cant get the sound out of the computer any other way like through the headphone socket etc? Or would I be able to split the sound feed so I can have it linked to the TV and to the headphone socket?
Doug

8th Jun 08 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ebuyer dont sell that graphics card anymore! Great!

I need a card that will enable me to connect to my TV via HDMI (adaptor or not), have the sound coming through the TV speakers through the HDMI cable, be able to plug in headphones to the headphone socket to listen to the sound through headphones AND for it to be passive to keep noise down

Any suggestions?
Russ

8th Jun 08 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145330
Doug

8th Jun 08 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that a passive one?

Russ

8th Jun 08 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iono
Doug

9th Jun 08 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arggghhhh too many choices

So in order for the sound to be transmitted through the HDMI I would need to get a card that has SPDIF as this would allow me to hook up the sound card to the graphics card?

Then should I want to take the sound out of the headphone socket aswell, how would I go about doing that?

New Poll