corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » anyone help with a possible diagnosis plz

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author anyone help with a possible diagnosis plz
TIMBO1

User status: Offline
15th Jun 06 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right , first of all i have noticed over the past couple of weeks the temperature of my car whilst running seems to be constantly between 96 (ok) and 99 (which i understandstand is too high) .

now i have noticed the fan doesnt seem to work to good and recently havnt actually heard it cut in i dont think . then tonight i noticed quite a loud and rigorous tapping noise . so i turned the engine of , sat for 5 mins , started again , and it had disappeared a bit .

So decided to give it a quick boot to see if it came back and yes it did . ii doesn't get thrashed so i know thw temp shouldnt be to do with the headgasket . any ideas , does it sound as if the fan be on its way out

any help is appreciated ,
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

15th Jun 06 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does the fan cut in then?
TIMBO1

15th Jun 06 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh i i havnt heard it cutting in but i havnt payed that much attention , but a lot of the time i look at the temp gauge and its at 99 and it isnt on , and and that temp ' i should imagine it should be shouldnt it ???
Dave A

15th Jun 06 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should cut in at around 97 degrees.

test the fan by unplugging the fan switch (bottom of the rad on drivers side) and bridge the connectors in the plug with a bit of wire. if the fan starts then its working.

if it doesnt start then you may need a new fan switch.

the reason for the high temps may be a dodgy thermostat. it could be that its not opening and allowing the coolant to get out of the engine and into the rad to be cooled down.
TIMBO1

15th Jun 06 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i take it then judging by the description ive put its most probibly one of the things you have mentioned and by the sounds of it can be quite easily sorted? and at not too much cost hopefully ? and real worst case senarios
Dave A

15th Jun 06 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fan switch is £15

thermostat is £10

both less than 15 mins each to do
TIMBO1

15th Jun 06 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brill , thanks for your help as always dave

New Poll