corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » keeps cutting out!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author keeps cutting out!
greg-turbo

User status: Offline
   27th Mar 08 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my corsas been perfect up until yesterday when i went to turn a corner and the engine just cut out. It turned over no problem and drove ok except the speedo had stopped working.... until I had to slow down at a junction, the engine management light came on for about a second and then it cut out completely again. Now nearly everytime i have to slow down at any junction or lights etc. It cuts out on me!

I took it to a garage and they used their computer and it came up with no faults EXCEPT that the speedo wasn't working because its not getting signals from the gearbox so this maybe a dodgy sensor? the mechanic didnt really say much and didnt seem like he could be bothered answering anything i said either but happily took a tenner off me lol

Its a 'w' reg corsa 1.4 16v sport, has anybody on here got any ideas?

Thanks a lot, Greg
luke85

27th Mar 08 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its just stalling really, the engine isnt cutting out because if you blip the throttle you will be able to keep it running, but of a pain though whern you have to go between the throttle and the brake when your rolling up to the junction!

It is because your speedo isnt working, once youve fixed that it will be fine. You need to find out if its a cable one or an electronic one and go from there.

If you want to stop the light coming on and cutting out in the mean time then dip the clutch before you come off the throttle, as in dont use the engine to slow you down.

Because the ECU doesnt think the car is moving it gets confused that something is holding the RPM at way above tickover (of course its because the car is moving and in gear but the ECU doesnt know that without the speedo signal) thats what messes up the idle control
Corsa_Quadz

27th Mar 08 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stupid answer but check ur battery connections!
greg-turbo

27th Mar 08 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luke85
Its just stalling really, the engine isnt cutting out because if you blip the throttle you will be able to keep it running, but of a pain though whern you have to go between the throttle and the brake when your rolling up to the junction!

It is because your speedo isnt working, once youve fixed that it will be fine. You need to find out if its a cable one or an electronic one and go from there.

If you want to stop the light coming on and cutting out in the mean time then dip the clutch before you come off the throttle, as in dont use the engine to slow you down.

Because the ECU doesnt think the car is moving it gets confused that something is holding the RPM at way above tickover (of course its because the car is moving and in gear but the ECU doesnt know that without the speedo signal) thats what messes up the idle control

Ill have a go at dipping the clutch before coming off the throttle and see how i go, what your saying sounds right, its just a pain in the arse! lol.

Its an electric speedo, im guessing a sensor is down but i havent a clue, you any idea what to do next? or just take it to a proper vauxhall dealer? instead of any old garage like I did...
greg-turbo

27th Mar 08 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Quadz
Stupid answer but check ur battery connections!

nah its not a stupid answer, I checked them after it just started happening, but they were fine. cheers for the help lads
Anthony

27th Mar 08 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this happent to me too. changed the speedo cable ( mechanical) and was fine. was a total pig of a job to get the cable from the gear box though
greg-turbo

27th Mar 08 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah right, ill look into that tommorow, cheers
Kenzie

28th Mar 08 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bottom row in you fuse box, there is a Yellow 20 amp fuse, check it.

Chances are that your heated rear window isnt working either.

greg-turbo

28th Mar 08 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luke85

It is exactly as you said with the stalling as ive noticed now, somejunctions its ok but others, the revs will try and hit zero n then stall but if i keep blipping the throttle it does stop it stalling.

Ive been told it could be a speedo cable or a speedo transducer, guess ill replace them first?

yeh that fuse had blown but ive replaced it now,cheers 'kenzie'
ed_jones

28th Mar 08 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check speedo sensor, fuses and if you have done any wiring check wires arent touching as this happened to me and it was a right bitch
greg-turbo

28th Mar 08 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive recently put new speakers in the front,dont know if this could affect things if the wires were loose
govinda

28th Mar 08 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this happend to a mate of mine en when a was tighting the alt belt for him i unpluged the black cable above it and when i had finished the belt the speedo was working again

[Edited on 28-03-2008 by govinda]

New Poll