corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Timing Belt/Power Loss

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Timing Belt/Power Loss
DannyParker

User status: Offline
4th Sep 07 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First sorry for all the questions I've posted since I got my car

As my engine (X14XE) gets warmer there is a noise which gets louder near the timing belt. If I split the casing and wedge something inbetween it stops but I know thats isn't the solution. I've also noticed since this has happened power has started to drop, nearly stalling setting off. Only thing to rectify the power is putting the clutch down and red-lining it. That's only a short term solution as well as it loses power again within 5 minutes before having to redline it again, burning my clutch away. Have trouble starting it as well, this might be Idle Valve though but wondered if it's related.

Do you think it could be the timeing belt tensioner that's gone?

One guy quoted me £195 to replace the cam belt, timing belt, tensioner and I dont knwo about pulleys. does this seem a fair price?

[Edited on 04-09-2007 by DannyParker]
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

4th Sep 07 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kit price: £80
1.5 hours labour: £60

total should be about £140-160 depending if it has aircon or not.
DannyParker

4th Sep 07 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Dave. No Air Conso hopefully if I look around I can get a quote for around 140.

Does anyone think the reason why i'm losing power could be to do with the timing belt and tensioner?
cpcrampton

4th Sep 07 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you have no power at low revs?and slow to rev up until it gets up the revs a bit?

[Edited on 04-09-2007 by cpcrampton]
DannyParker

4th Sep 07 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep exactly that, hope you know what it is, it's really pissin me off to be honest!

[Edited on 04-09-2007 by DannyParker]
cpcrampton

4th Sep 07 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your bottom pully which has alternator belt on has a key way in it which locks onto the timming pully which is behind the bottom pully then the little timming pully also has a key way which locks onto your crankshaft. im just guessing here but i think one of your key ways has sheared or broke. happened to me and i fixed it more than once. if its the crankshaft keyway itself your pretty much looking at a new crankshaft or engine. take it to vauxhall and tell them to have a look. if it turns out to be just the pully wheel and the inner timing wheel your ok just replace them.
cpcrampton

4th Sep 07 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have a look at the bottom pully and check if its vibrating. if so then its a keyway or key gone.
DannyParker

4th Sep 07 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think it might be just the pully's to be honest as the belt is wavy as it runs along the pully's if you get me. Not to bad to fall off but enough to cause concern.

Could a dodgy timeing belt and tensioner cause as you say "no power at low revs?and slow to rev up until it gets up the revs a bit?"

Booking it in for the garage on Friday to replace the belt and pully's.
cpcrampton

4th Sep 07 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could do if it has jumped a tooth because of less tension.
have you checked to see if there is tension in the belt?
start your car and have a look at the bottom pully wheel the one you can see without removing any covers. and report back the noise your hearing could also be the bottom pully hitting the plastic case. sounds like a little supercharger.
DannyParker

4th Sep 07 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, the warmer the engine get the more noise it makes and it's quite embarrasing not to mention the fact when I'm going round a corner in low gear it struggles to move so sounds crap anyway.

I'll have a look at the bottom pully tonight and tensoin in the belt.

Thanks cpcrampton

New Poll