corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HDMI cable

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HDMI cable
koolkorsa

User status: Offline
29th Aug 07 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought a newly released Samsung DVD Recorder, Hard Disk with built in Freeview etc. and HD upscaling dvd. So I'm guessing I'll need to use a HDMI cable to the TV for best quality pics. Is there much difference in the quality of the cables - you can get them on ebay for a fiver or about £30 up in Richer Sounds etc. Anybody recommend a decent one - only needs to be about 1 metre long. Cheers.
Rus

29th Aug 07 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apparently the £5 ones are the same as £50 ones. but theres got to be a reason why its £5. I got a £20 one in the end and its perfect. dunno what one it is, it came with the ps3.
Dom

29th Aug 07 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's worth spending a bit of cash just to get a half decent shielded cable (even if it is all digital). I wouldn't go over the top and start spending hundreds on the thing but i would certainly spend 20 quid or so
John

29th Aug 07 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm of the opinion a fiver cable does the job, unless its over about 300 feet.
(300ft was a random number, I would go cheap unless its over a few metres though.

[Edited on 29-08-2007 by John]
Dom

29th Aug 07 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I'm of the opinion a fiver cable does the job, unless its over about 300 feet.
(300ft was a random number, I would go cheap unless its over a few metres though.

[Edited on 29-08-2007 by John]

unless its analog in which case spend as much as you can on cabling, especially getting decent shielded stuff.
John

29th Aug 07 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes above was for hdmi and the likes only.

I am a tramp though and never spent that much on analogue cables but they will be better to a point.

I would like to see a comparison between a 70 quid hdmi cable and a 5 quid one though.

I'm doubtfull of any difference at all.

If there was i'd be converted.
Rob_Quads

29th Aug 07 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rus. but theres got to be a reason why its £5

There is a reason...because the retailers KNOW that people will fall for it and spend more money than they need to so produce cables which are no better at the job yet they can make more money off them.
cunningham

29th Aug 07 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your local comet should have a display showing the diffrence in picture quality from diffrent cables mine did

my scart and hdmi cable came witha lifetime gurantee
kz

29th Aug 07 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine was £25 iirc. tbh cant tell that much difference, and when changing to 1080i and making it "better" in other options... it actually looks worse
Dom

29th Aug 07 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cunningham
your local comet should have a display showing the diffrence in picture quality from diffrent cables mine did

my scart and hdmi cable came witha lifetime gurantee

i certainly wouldn't be trusting comets

and like i said, analog stuff (ie: scarts, s-video, component, composite, phono/rca) you will notice differences with better quality cables, but in the digital domain (HDMI, spdif, digital coax, optical etc) i would still get a decent cables (around 10-30 quid mark, just from the improve quality of cable/cores and connection/sockets/plugs etc) but it certainly isn't worth spending £50/100 quid or so like you would perhaps with an analog connection/cable, as differences would be very difference if there was any.

New Poll