corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Help on Electronics for a Corsa 1.4 GLS

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help on Electronics for a Corsa 1.4 GLS
prof

User status: Offline
3rd Jan 07 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is my first posting and I really hope you can help, We have a very low mileage Corsa 1.4 BLS 5 door Auto although its a 1994 it has very few miles on it 30.000 app. and it looks like new inside and out.

Very recently the engine cut out as we were driving along, the dash lit up just about everything including the symbol of an engine which I believe denotes an electronic fault. The car started again ok straight away and all the dash lights were normal, it has done this several times but I was lucky in that the roads were traffic free. Today the electronics light stayed on but the engine started, when I switched of and restarted the electronics light went out.
Do these boxes give much trouble ? if this is indeed the problem.
We live in Mid Wales and it has been Er, rather damp here, could this be a cause?
I am desperate to cure this as having an engine just cut out is to say the least alarming.
This winter the car has stood out all the time for the first time in its life.
Stokie Dave

3rd Jan 07 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

speedo cable dying mate?
prof

4th Jan 07 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stokie Dave
speedo cable dying mate?

Hi Dave thanks for your reply , could you explain to me why the speedo cable would cause the problem /symptom, Im more confused than ever now. Prof.
Danny W
Organiser: East Midlands
Premium Member

4th Jan 07 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had this problem on my 5 door, it cut out and showed EML/warning lights.

turned out to be the damp getting to the sparks/leads.
i also cleaned the connections in engine bay & made sure there weren't any loose wires etc on the ECU.

have a look through this topic here
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=321286

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Mark330d

4th Jan 07 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try the paper clip test.
Sam
Premium Member

5th Jan 07 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It could be down to anything...

When the engine management light (orange light with engine pic on it) comes up on the dash it will store one or more 'fault codes' on the ECU.

You can buy a fault code reader from Halfords that you plug into your diagnostic port (which is next to where your fuses are) and that will give you a reading.

However, if you are more technically minded, you can do the 'paperclip' test as Mark has suggested, which basically means shorting out two pins on the diagnostic port and the engine management light on the dash will flash a certain sequence, from this sequence you can find out what the fault code is without the need for buying a fault code reader, although as I said if you're not really technically minded your best bet is to buy a fault code reader from Halfords (or well, any motor factors really), I don't think they cost more than £20 if I remember correctly.

If you fancied having a go at reading the codes yourself with a paperclip, go to http://www.topbuzz.co.uk click on "Information", then "Technical Guides", then scroll down the page and click on "Reading ECU Fault Codes".
prof

5th Jan 07 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sam Mark and Danny Many thanks I have cleaned up everything in sight and not had the problem on an a 28 mile journey I will look into a reader though, didnt know you could get em, I am a retired sparks but electronics have me puzzled
Sam
Premium Member

5th Jan 07 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like it was just a simple case of damp getting into (wherever) but yeah probably wise to invest in a reader in case this happens in the future.
prof

5th Jan 07 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just reading the link you sent me Sam its got a lot of info that will be of use to me, Our car is new to us and there are several things I am not all that happy with, like the power steering seems heavy compaired to our Nissan Sunny and throttle pedal is to near the wheel arch,
Thanks for your help Sam. Prof
Sam
Premium Member

5th Jan 07 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't do anything re. accelerator pedal.

As for heavy steering, check the power steering fluid is topped up, and that the tyres are correctly inflated.

[Edited on 05-01-2007 by Sam]
prof

5th Jan 07 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everything is correct re power steering just that it seems heavy, Im off out in the Corsa now so fingers crossed,
Thanks Prof.

New Poll